VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

chazwazza

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2012
Thebarton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt Football Club
What local comp do you think the existing stand alone VFL clubs come from?

Port has been in the competition since 1886, and Williamstown since 1864. Where do you think they will play if not the VFL? And our players aren't amateur, they are semi professional.

It really gets my goat when people who have little to no knowledge of the VFA pontificate about our clubs and our competition. There are still a core of rabid supporters at these clubs that are quite over having AFL fans sweep in and act like they are better than we are because we support a "reserves" team.
There’s a similar perspective in the SANFL, an arrogance that the whole comp should bend and bow to every whim or need of both AFL reserves teams and squealing when they don’t get their way.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks

Port has been in the competition since 1886, and Williamstown since 1864. Where do you think they will play if not the VFL? And our players aren't amateur, they are semi professional.

It really gets my goat when people who have little to no knowledge of the VFA pontificate about our clubs and our competition. There are still a core of rabid supporters at these clubs that are quite over having AFL fans sweep in and act like they are better than we are because we support a "reserves" team.
No pontificating buddy. You have missed the contention of my post.
I was saying, IF there is no AFL reserves players involved again, my opinion is the the AFL will not und a new expanded league, so Qld NEAFL clubs will go back to the QAFL, Syd Uni and Canberra already field teams in their state leagues (most of their players are amateurs) and stand alone VFL clubs will Play each other like they were going to this year. All clubs would end up in their home states in their respective state leagues, and would stay there even when things return to normal post COVID.
The VFL will end up with the VFL clubs play NSW/Qld reserves.
P.S. I know all about the history of the VFA and it’s clubs.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I was saying, if there is no AFL reserves players involved again, my opinion is the the AFL will not find a new league, so Qld NEAFL clubs will go back to the QAFL, Syd Uni and Canberra already field teams in their state leagues (most of their players are amateurs) and stand alone VFL clubs will Play each other like they were going to this year. All clubs would end up in their home states in their respective state leagues, and would stay there even when things return to normal post COVID.
Southport have already applied

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
I was saying, IF there is no AFL reserves players involved again, my opinion is the the AFL will not und a new expanded league, so Qld NEAFL clubs will go back to the QAFL, Syd Uni and Canberra already field teams in their state leagues (most of their players are amateurs) and stand alone VFL clubs will Play each other like they were going to this year. All clubs would end up in their home states in their respective state leagues, and would stay there even when things return to normal post COVID.

Well, then you should know there is no local competition for us to return to, we've only ever played in the VFA/L and if we aren't involved in that, we'll have nowhere to go. Also, again, our players are not amateurs, they are semi professional.

I can't see the AFL allowing the stand alone clubs to field their own separate competition on a permanent basis. They've been trying to get rid of us for 25 years because we mess with their narrative that the VFL superseded the VFA in 1897 and the latter virtually ceased to exist, apart from a brief period in 1924 when they took two of the comps best clubs and another that was geographically important. If there is no VFL the stand alones will probably have to fold.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Well, then you should know there is no local competition for us to return to, we've only ever played in the VFA/L and if we aren't involved in that, we'll have nowhere to go. Also, again, our players are not amateurs, they are semi professional.

I can't see the AFL allowing the stand alone clubs to field their own separate competition on a permanent basis. They've been trying to get rid of us for 25 years because we mess with their narrative that the VFL superseded the VFA in 1897 and the latter virtually ceased to exist, apart from a brief period in 1924 when they took two of the comps best clubs and another that was geographically important. If there is no VFL the stand alones will probably have to fold.
Yes. I know all that. I was actually doing some work at a VFA club around the time of the merger with the AFL reserves. I fully understand all of the issues around this situation. There are no easy answers.
Again, if you read my post I am talking about what may happen if next year’s expanded comp does not run due to COVID.

Redland have declined. Looks to be applying for a QAFL licence instead

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Feb 1, 2004
Sweden
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Helsingborg Australian FC

The league was founded 1877. Williamstown joined 1884.

Last edited:

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Apparently all Vic AFL clubs will have their own team, Aspley, Southport and Syd Uni have all officially submitted an application although uni is still weighing up the financial stuff

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
The league was founded 1877. Williamstown joined 1884.
Williamstown was in the precursor the the VFA from 1864, and played in the junior section until elevated to senior status in 1884 and immediately joined the VFA senior section. They've never officially played in any other competition, which was my point.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
So who will make the ESFL
My predictions:
VICTORIAN STAND ALONE AFL
Carlton