VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
What happened? Haven’t seen any announcement. Potentially has major ramifications for my local QAFL comp so keen to know the decision.
Was meant to be yesterday.. I spoke to VFL clubs yesterday morning and they said an announcement was likely yesterday. If not, early next week .

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
Next step is to merge SANFL with the our VFL.
A national second tier competition is an interesting idea, but it would need to be bankrolled by the AFL, there is very little cash to go around at state level and having to travel interstate every second week would be too much for most of us.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
So if Richmond aren't entering a reserves side into the VFL, are they planning on joining another competition? I can't imagine it benefits them to be the only AFL side not fielding a reserves side.
I'm assuming we'll go with an alignment. But all the talk has been that we'd sooner spend more of our softcap on other resources (keeping all our coaches, etc.)

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Who pays, remember its about cost saving ...
No savings here. If they play 22 games half of them will have to be played away. So NSW teams for instance might end up playing 8 games in Melbourne, 2 in Qld and one away in NSW. At this time NSW teams play non AFL NEAFL sides once. Therefore 2 away and 2 home. The Swans only travelled 6 times last season. Compare the combined NEAFL/VFL and the Swans will travel 8 times.

As for having our players join existing sides or spread between all sides that is just diabolocal. We scrapped our deal with Port Melbourne because it was not working. Our players were not playing to our coaching instructions they were playing to Port coaches instructions

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
No savings here. If they play 22 games half of them will have to be played away. So NSW teams for instance might end up playing 8 games in Melbourne, 2 in Qld and one away in NSW. At this time NSW teams play non AFL NEAFL sides once. Therefore 2 away and 2 home. The Swans only travelled 6 times last season. Compare the combined NEAFL/VFL and the Swans will travel 8 times.

As for having our players join existing sides or spread between all sides that is just diabolocal. We scrapped our deal with Port Melbourne because it was not working. Our players were not playing to our coaching instructions they were playing to Port coaches instructions

On JAT-L29 using BigFooty.com mobile app

No savings, no way imho, its about the running costs only.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
I'm assuming we'll go with an alignment. But all the talk has been that we'd sooner spend more of our softcap on other resources (keeping all our coaches, etc.)
I'm wondering who you will align with. My understanding is most if not all of the VFA clubs have been approached by various AFL clubs and told in no uncertain terms to bugger off.
One of the richest and most well supported clubs in the competition refusing to participate in VFLW and VFL, the latter of which they are the reigning Premier and using the excuse of money is weak as piss in my opinion. You probably spend more on beer at one function than our operating budget for a full season.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I'm wondering who you will align with. My understanding is most if not all of the VFA clubs have been approached by various AFL clubs and told in no uncertain terms to bugger off.
One of the richest and most well supported clubs in the competition refusing to participate in VFLW and VFL, the latter of which they are the reigning Premier and using the excuse of money is weak as piss in my opinion. You probably spend more on beer at one function than our operating budget for a full season.

Which VFA clubs dont survive with AFL money through AFLVic (or whatever its current name is).
Which of these clubs told the Melbourne clubs to bugger off,
or
were they simply waiting for the AFL to make the decisions it has put off for 30 years?

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Which VFA clubs dont survive with AFL money through AFLVic (or whatever its current name is).
Which of these clubs told the Melbourne clubs to bugger off,
or
were they simply waiting for the AFL to make the decisions it has put off for 30 years?

The stand alone VFA clubs may or may not survive without being a part of the VFL, but unless we are booted out or choose to leave, we won't know for sure. No doubt the AFL is pushing for a national reserves competition, and as soon as it can cajole or bribe or otherwise convince the SANFL and WAFL into agreeing to give up control (or undermine them and go directly to the four AFL clubs), it will happen.

At which point doubtless they will need a third tier competition in Victoria, which the current VFA clubs will form the core of.

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Wouldn't be surprised the delay in the AFL naming the teams for the new VFL/EAFL is because some of the AFL clubs who don't want to participate (i.e. bare the costs) haven't found a partner yet. AFL probably 'arranging marriages' behind the scenes now as we type.

Oct 8, 2011
Hobart
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Tasmania
You don't understand at all. It's not that we can't afford it. Of course we can afford it.

The problem is that the AFL has reduced the softcap, and we'd sooner spend the money that we're allowed to spend in other areas. We value having a better resourced football department more than we value having a Richmond VFL team.

And if you want to see what's "weak as piss", I suggest you go and rewatch St Kilda's performance on Friday night.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
You don't understand at all. It's not that we can't afford it. Of course we can afford it.

The problem is that the AFL has reduced the softcap, and we'd sooner spend the money that we're allowed to spend in other areas. We value having a better resourced football department more than we value having a Richmond VFL team.

And if you want to see what's "weak as piss", I suggest you go and rewatch St Kilda's performance on Friday night.
Given we're talking about the VFL, I'd rather watch the 2017 Grand Final, where Port Melbourne beat Richmond. That was a great day.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
Given we're talking about the VFL, I'd rather watch the 2017 Grand Final, where Port Melbourne beat Richmond. That was a great day.

Even though Richmond lost it was a bloody good game. Even though Ellis would never have made the kick after the siren it was a really good way to finish

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The stand alone VFA clubs may or may not survive without being a part of the VFL, but unless we are booted out or choose to leave, we won't know for sure. No doubt the AFL is pushing for a national reserves competition, and as soon as it can cajole or bribe or otherwise convince the SANFL and WAFL into agreeing to give up control (or undermine them and go directly to the four AFL clubs), it will happen.

At which point doubtless they will need a third tier competition in Victoria, which the current VFA clubs will form the core of.

The WAFC hold the AFL licence & sublicence the Dockers & Eagles.

The problem is nowhere as simple as yes/no to a national reserves, its the 2nd tier, compre??

Who pays, compre ?

MegaA

Debutant
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How will the traditional stand alone clubs fund their travel in this comp ? Could kill them financially especially if they can't get back the same day and need to stay interstate.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
How will the traditional stand alone clubs fund their travel in this comp ? Could kill them financially especially if they can't get back the same day and need to stay interstate.
I was under the impression the AFL were covering travel costs

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
I was under the impression the AFL were covering travel costs

I doubt that will last forever.

Given that this will now be a telecast eastern seaboard reserves comp beamed into a few states, whilst the viewing numbers won't be enormous, there will still be some revenue for the competition for sponsorship and TV.

I anticipate the comp to have a conference system of some description to limit the travel as much as possible.

Back