VFL to merge with NEAFL, under-18 comps revamped in massive changes to AFL’s second tier

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no sustainable financial model without the AFL. Plus no local clubs would want to join - too risky. There are enough clubs already, except that Casey and Box Hill are ghost clubs that would fold overnight without their AFL partners.
If the stand alone VFA clubs tried to form a stand alone competition without AFL involvement (read: money) then it couldn't work. You wouldn't credit it given the falsified prestige of being in the state league, but there are clubs in the local leagues that are much, much more financial viable than even Port and Williamstown. We'd struggle to survive financially in the SFL, which is geographically where we'd end up, unless we managed to get local sponsorship and government support, which is probably already tied up in other clubs.

We're in the best place for us at the moment, especially as Paul Amy suggests at least one AFL club is planning on using NAB League players as they aren't willing to invest time/energy into a VFL program. This gives us a better chance of success, which equals money which equals survival. When the AFL finally decides to institute a proper reserves competition, the VFL will be able to be run as a third tier competition with AFL Victoria support. Hanging out for that day.

If the stand alone VFA clubs tried to form a stand alone competition without AFL involvement (read: money) then it couldn't work. You wouldn't credit it given the falsified prestige of being in the state league, but there are clubs in the local leagues that are much, much more financial viable than even Port and Williamstown. We'd struggle to survive financially in the SFL, which is geographically where we'd end up, unless we managed to get local sponsorship and government support, which is probably already tied up in other clubs.

We're in the best place for us at the moment, especially as Paul Amy suggests at least one AFL club is planning on using NAB League players as they aren't willing to invest time/energy into a VFL program. This gives us a better chance of success, which equals money which equals survival. When the AFL finally decides to institute a proper reserves competition, the VFL will be able to be run as a third tier competition with AFL Victoria support. Hanging out for that day.
Do you think that the AFL will fund the VFL as a third tier comp? Can’t see it happening.

The old VFA clubs would jump at the opportunity to field a development league side but this will not happen so soon after it being cancelled. I think VFA clubs having reserves will only be possible if they play in a competition without AFL involvement, AFL VIC didnt care that all stand alones wanted reserves 3 years ago and are very unlikely to care in the future. They care more about publicising the sub standard women's football and pour millions into that (instead of small investments in the development league ) because they feel they can gain another slice of the market through women's football - a greater female audience and following.

Do you think that the AFL will fund the VFL as a third tier comp? Can’t see it happening.

I think the AFL will want to have a competition in Victoria on the level of the SANFL and WAFL as a step on the pathway between the NAB League and the AFL. It will be the highest tier of the AFL Victoria system, if you like. It probably wouldn't be that expensive to run given that there are only 7 stand alone teams (8 with Preston coming back) and 2 merged entities with VFA heritage left. A 10 team competition (maybe 12-14 if you add North Ballarat back in and take submissions from other country leagues) would be seen of value to AFL Victoria so they don't lose local talent to interstate leagues once they age out of the NAB League.

Last edited:
I think the AFL will want to have a competition in Victoria on the level of the SANFL and WAFL as a step on the pathway between the NAB League and the AFL. It will be the highest tier of the AFL Victoria system, if you like. It probably wouldn't be that expensive to run given that there are only 7 stand alone teams (8 with Preston coming back) and 2 merged entities with VFA heritage left. A 10 team competition (maybe 12-14 if you add North Ballarat back in and take submissions from other country leagues) would be seen of value to AFL Victoria so they don't lose local talent to interstate leagues once they age out of the NAB League.
I doubt there is any chance they will fund a third tier. They will want the best players playing AFL reserves.

The AFL needs to release control of Victorian football back to an independent body. Only then will we get a true state level comp back and a real plan to rebuild local and country footy. The damage done under AFL Vic control will take many years to rebuild, in many cases it’s too late.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the current VFL system of 16 teams of 10 Victorian ressies and 6 stand alone clubs. It probably should be 8 stand alone clubs for younger Vic metro teenagers to use the VFL as a stepping stone to the AFL.

At least the Tac cup is a country league where the Vic sides can get young Victorian talent.

SANFL is the main 2nd tier league in SA where young players play to do well and get picked up by the AFL clubs.

In WA, the WAFL is a decent league and many players get picked up every season from the WAFL.

Once the WA population grows to 4-5 Millon, I would love to see WA develop a country league like Victoria does with the tac cup

I didn't mind the current VFL system of 16 teams of 10 Victorian ressies and 6 stand alone clubs. It probably should be 8 stand alone clubs for younger Vic metro teenagers to use the VFL as a stepping stone to the AFL.

At least the Tac cup is a country league where the Vic sides can get young Victorian talent.

SANFL is the main 2nd tier league in SA where young players play to do well and get picked up by the AFL clubs.

In WA, the WAFL is a decent league and many players get picked up every season from the WAFL.

Once the WA population grows to 4-5 Millon, I would love to see WA develop a country league like Victoria does with the tac cup
Its a good competition and probably not like any other comp in the world. Semi professional clubs who barely have 1,000 members v full time profesional clubs of 100,000 members with great facilities, coaching, full time staff etc etc.

It also gives the stand alone clubs extra exposure that they wouldn't get if they played on their own.

What spoils the competition though is too much involvement and regulations from the AFL. The stand alones want to run their clubs like proper footy clubs with reserves and the ability to field the best team possible to maximise their onfield performance yet they are hindered by the AFLs rules of setting minimum underaged players, a salary cap which is significantly low (so that clubs field younger unnoticed talent instead of paying good money for proven players) and no reserves players. These clubs have rules dictated too them way to much to be able to write their own destiny.

just one step closer to having a Australian wide reserves.... hence the cuts in all caps and staff $$$$
Would be good to see
18 afl teams league
18 reserves afl teams League
Whoever your afl team plays the reserves teams does likewise- whole squad fly’s together for games

all other standalone state clubs can play against themselves in seperate leagues

Would be good to see
18 afl teams league
18 reserves afl teams League
Whoever your afl team plays the reserves teams does likewise- whole squad fly’s together for games

all other standalone state clubs can play against themselves in seperate leagues

Has some merit and then have a finals series mixing both comps together - ie top 4 of AFL comp vs top 4 of VFA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Stephen Daniel Southport coach has just leaked accidentally the teams in the VFL 2021- notice that there is no Syd UniView attachment 990468View attachment 990469
Not having Sydney Uni in that comp won't really matter. AFL Sydney is sort of a solid league for non-academy talent to filter through. Plus the NSW talent program is based a lot around the swans and giants academies. Many of the players in those academies in recent years played NEAFL as 'top-up players' for their respective teams. i.e. Tom Green played some giants neafllast year, and so did Liam Delahunty. The swans academy was naming about six+ players to top-up in the neafl weekly. The likely omission isn't terrible for younger talent, but more so for mature talent.

Not having Sydney Uni in that comp won't really matter. AFL Sydney is sort of a solid league for non-academy talent to filter through. Plus the NSW talent program is based a lot around the swans and giants academies. Many of the players in those academies in recent years played NEAFL as 'top-up players' for their respective teams. i.e. Tom Green played some giants neafllast year, and so did Liam Delahunty. The swans academy was naming about six+ players to top-up in the neafl weekly. The likely omission isn't terrible for younger talent, but more so for mature talent.
Yeah I know they were still deciding.
Can I say though, there may he nothing in this but found it interesting and if you join the dots it could be the 2021 VFL teams

Coburgs last club update was September 22nd, where they announced they intended to apply for a license. Unless they changed their mind that list isn't accurate, given the AFL have advised they wouldn't deny any existing VFL club a license who wanted one.

Coburgs last club update was September 22nd, where they announced they intended to apply for a license. Unless they changed their mind that list isn't accurate, given the AFL have advised they wouldn't deny any existing VFL club a license who wanted one.

I too would find it strange and somewhat disappointing if Coburg was to not be involved. It would not make sense for them not to be involved, they have spent millions in upgrading their facilities for this season - would be overkill to have these upgrades for a lower league also Coburg has gone from strength to strength off the field. More fans are coming through the gates - v port they had 1,200 fans which is a strong VFL crowd, membership is also at a high. Perhaps we are putting too much emphasis on the accuracy of what's written on the white board- here's hoping.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back