VFL Top 20

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
A lot of local leagues and even state leagues are doing countdowns for their top 20 - 30 players.

Wondering who you guys would genuinely think are top 20 (state league listed) players in the VFL this year?

From Essendon, Im not sure we have anyone in that top tier, perhaps Aaron Heppel is closest but still wouldn't feature in my top 20.

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
EFFC, Blackhawks, Cubs, Bears
This list is not a be all and end all, just a couple of players that I like:

Luke Meadows (BH)
Brede Seccull (SAND)
Andrew Moore (BH)
Alex Woodward (COLL)
Jordan Keras (GEEL)
Ben Jolley (PM)
Tom Gribble (WER)
Marcus Lentini (COB)
Nick Meese (WILL)
Mack Rivett (PM)
Nash Holmes (NM)
Chris Jansen (NM)
Izzy Conway (PM)
Sam Fisher (NB)
Will Fordham (FRA)
Nick Rippon (NM)
Dom Brew (WER)
Mitch Wooffindin (PM)
Kade Answerth (SAND)

This list is not a be all and end all, just a couple of players that I like:

Luke Meadows (BH)
Brede Seccull (SAND)
Andrew Moore (BH)
Alex Woodward (COLL)
Jordan Keras (GEEL)
Ben Jolley (PM)
Tom Gribble (WER)
Marcus Lentini (COB)
Nick Meese (WILL)
Mack Rivett (PM)
Nash Holmes (NM)
Chris Jansen (NM)
Izzy Conway (PM)
Sam Fisher (NB)
Will Fordham (FRA)
Nick Rippon (NM)
Dom Brew (WER)
Mitch Wooffindin (PM)
Kade Answerth (SAND)
Meadows is a left field one. Jolley in his prime yes, not now though IMO

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Meadows is a left field one. Jolley in his prime yes, not now though IMO

Meadows is a top 10 WAFL player and I truly believe that the top players in the WAFL are better than the ones in the VFL, although there is a lot more depth in the VFL. Jolley is still a really really good player, although I do agree he's not as good as he was a couple years ago.

Meadows is a top 10 WAFL player and I truly believe that the top players in the WAFL are better than the ones in the VFL, although there is a lot more depth in the VFL. Jolley is still a really really good player, although I do agree he's not as good as he was a couple years ago.
WAFL is a different style to VFL though. Good WAFL players don't always replicate it over here. And I also disagree, if you compiled a top 10 list for mature age players drafted from each I think you'd find the VFL significantly ahead of the WAFL.

Bessa

Cancelled
Feb 26, 2019
AFL Club
St Kilda
2019 listed VFL players that have been on an AFL list:

Box Hill: A Moore, N Mullenger-McHugh, L Mackie, T Tweedie, L Osborne,
Casey: J Hutchings,
Coburg: none.
Collingwood: A Woodward, A Gallucci,
Essendon: K Aylett, R Connellan,
Footscray: A Monfries, R Gardiner, N Drummond, J Prudden, L Dalgleish, R William, D Viojo-Rainbow,
Frankston: N Freeman, A Styles, W Fordham, M McCarthy,
Geelong:
Northern Blues: S Fisher, J Palmer, K Collins, J O'Rourke, A Johnson, J Hill,
North Melb: A Morgan, B Whitecross, T Leonardis,
Port Melbourne: J Blair, J Lisle, M Signorello, E Templeton, D Johnstone, B Jolley,
Richmond: S Morris, H Beasley, J Marsh,
Sandringham: N Wright, S Gilbert,
Werribee: M Spencer, M Barlow, T House, D Nielson, J Clayton, J Edwards, O Junker,
Williamstown: B Kennedy, A Marcon, S Dunnell, S McClarty, M Hibberd, S Gregory, J Tippett,

Have I missed any?

TJ1996

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
WAFL is a different style to VFL though. Good WAFL players don't always replicate it over here. And I also disagree, if you compiled a top 10 list for mature age players drafted from each I think you'd find the VFL significantly ahead of the WAFL.

Agreed. Russell Gabriel was a VFL Team of the Year Full Back and couldn't crack East Fremantle's league side consistently. And being drafted as a mature age player doesn't mean they're the best players in the league. Matt Parker wouldn't crack my Top 20 in the WAFL but St Kilda clearly believe he's still got room to grow. Jye Bolton doesn't have an AFL skill-set but would run rings around the majority of VFL players. Just have to look at the state game from 2017 to see that the 'best players in each league' debate falls in the favour of WA.

Agreed. Russell Gabriel was a VFL Team of the Year Full Back and couldn't crack East Fremantle's league side consistently. And being drafted as a mature age player doesn't mean they're the best players in the league. Matt Parker wouldn't crack my Top 20 in the WAFL but St Kilda clearly believe he's still got room to grow. Jye Bolton doesn't have an AFL skill-set but would run rings around the majority of VFL players. Just have to look at the state game from 2017 to see that the 'best players in each league' debate falls in the favour of WA.
As far as the state game goes, the WAFL has beaten the VFL, what, twice in 27 years? The VFL have consistently developed and produced AFL quality players, hell, there were more players drafted/signed from the VFL this season than the entirity of WA! The VFL production line has produced players like Michael Barlow, Walla, Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Adam Saad, Kane Lambert the list goes on. All of whom were drafted as mature agers.

Who has the WAFL produced of similar calibre?

Back