VFL top 5

Remove this Banner Ad

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
Have been watching the VFL for almost a decade now and was trying to think of the top 10 VFL listed players we have had in our time as the Bendigo Diggers, Bendigo Gold and now as a VFL stand alone side

For mine Ben Duscher still remains the best player we have had. We've had some seriously decent players with us in that time but no one better than the chippie from Irymple

Any ways, my top 5 players we have had are;

1. Ben Duscher
2. Dan Coghlan
3. Josh Freezer
4. Alistair Kefferd
5. Matt Little/Trent Shinners

Couple of honourable mentions are Sam Tagliabue, Jacob Thompson and Aaron Heppell who could still move up post career with us.

Hm. Kefferd is a bit high for me I'd go with:

1. Ben Duscher
2. Dan Coghlan
3. Trent Shinners
4. Matt Little
5. Josh Freezer
6. Marcus Marigliani
7. Aaron Heppell
8. Alistair Kefferd
9. Sam Tagliabue
10. James Polkinghorne

It's difficult to name a top 5 because it's hard to balance longevity with overall quality. Duscher is the clear standout covering both.

I'd say Boyse and Ferry are top 5 players in terms of their quality. Dickson is probably the best of the lot though he's now playing AFL. I always thought that Coghlan was a clear class above VFL too.

Top 5 is probably:

1. Duscher
2. Coghlan
3. Boyse
4. Ferry
5. Heppell

I don't remember a stack of Shinners and Little.

I maintain that Boyse, his body willing, could have played the last 30 AFL games.

6"4, massive running power, knew how to find the ball in the lead with very solid hands and a steady set shot.

He's the prototype half forward/third tall.

Last edited:
It's difficult to name a top 5 because it's hard to balance longevity with overall quality. Duscher is the clear standout covering both.

I'd say Boyse and Ferry are top 5 players in terms of their quality. Dickson is probably the best of the lot though he's now playing AFL. I always thought that Coghlan was a clear class above VFL too.

Top 5 is probably:

1. Duscher
2. Coghlan
3. Boyse
4. Ferry
5. Heppell

I don't remember a stack of Shinners and Little.

I maintain that Boyse, his body willing, could have played the last 30 AFL games.

6"4, massive running power, knew how to find the ball in the lead with very solid hands and a steady set shot.

He's the prototype half forward/third tall.

I knew id forget some.. But two quality players in Boyse and Ferry? Silly me

Ive always wondered how a VFL team of this century/decade would look but ive never bothered getting around to it.

Id tried to leave out (eventual or former) AFL listed guys like Dickson, Campbell, Marigliani etc even though all were good enough to be in this list.

Ive always wondered how a VFL team of this century/decade would look but ive never bothered getting around to it.

Id tried to leave out (eventual or former) AFL listed guys like Dickson, Campbell, Marigliani etc even though all were good enough to be in this list.

I'd argue that eventual AFL listed players shouldn't be excluded as they did what the other VFL players strived for.

Would depend on how long they played for us IMO. Jason Cloke was an absolute rock for us for 3 or 4 seasons.

Is heppel that good?

Do you think he will eventually be on an AFL list?
Heppell is a VFL workhorse. I don't think he'll ever get onto an AFL list, just hasn't got that "thing" that players like Walla and Nick Hind have.

If we limit to players who never played AFL.
Coghlan and Duscher the two standouts.
James ferry and Alex boyse both should be playing AFL. Shame their bodies didn't let them... Far worse players than them get Games
Freezer, Shinners both good backmen.
Tagliabue and sikora as rucks.
Other than that had lots of good solid players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back