Caddy & Cunico are in,Vardy [ankle] & Clark [family] are out

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2016-07-28/vfl-cats-name-squad-for-pies

B: (20) Gardner, (67) Stewart, (31) Cunico

HB: (16) Selwood, (45) Delaney, (33) Horlin-Smith

C: (23) Caddy, (37) Luxford, (11) Lang

HF: (17) Cornell, (66) Edwards, (12) Buzza

F: (51) Tsitas, (39) Kersten, (15) Hayball

R: (42) Lucey, (21) Murdoch, (34) Parsons

I/C: (54) Tudor, (64) Atkins, (58) Abbott, (73) House, (69) Sexton, (65) McLachlan, (52) Hickey, (74) Thompson, (78) Atley – 23rd player

Even Mark Thompson has got a game.
He'll do anything to sell a book.

Great to see Cadds back.

And the long-awaited return of Geelong's answer to Carmen Sandiego gets a massive tick as well.

Better yet, Delaney is lining up again and is hopefully looking at some continuity of footy with the Bankers between now and the end of the season.

Even with Vards and Clark missing, this team looks very solid on paper and can hopefully continue its run of good form.

And if none of that piques your interest in this fixture, there's always #waybillwatch to be going on with.;)

Smash them, Bankers!

Harsh. He has a bit on his plate presently with two newborns still in intensive care.
I sincerely apologise. I had no idea they were in intensive care.

The centre bounce could be Caddy, Scooter & Lang... (GHS there too).

#WaybillWatch - will kick his first bag for the Cats!

Can Hayball be a legit HFF option I wonder. Handy to have a left footer. Not sure I have seen enough of him to say he has definitely got "it"

Sure he could but he will be so much more. This time next year he'll be an inside mid and start dominating VFL level in that position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sure he could but he will be so much more. This time next year he'll be an inside mid and start dominating VFL level in that position.

Really , thats a different player than I would have thought? He played a bit CHF in juniors , so to go to being an inside mid..quite a jump.
Its just I think thats an area we lack, and as he seem to regular find a way to add to the scoreboard pressure... I thought perhaps we have another HF option..but inside mid. I will have to really watch him next to see what you have noticed.

Really , thats a different player than I would have thought? He played a bit CHF in juniors , so to go to being an inside mid..quite a jump.
Its just I think thats an area we lack, and as he seem to regular find a way to add to the scoreboard pressure... I thought perhaps we have another HF option..but inside mid. I will have to really watch him next to see what you have noticed.

Yeah we don't have too many of those natural forwards. We seem to be using those spots as placeholders for future mids.

I'd admit that it is not based on a lot, right now it is just a hunch based on his physical attributes and how he handles physical contact, he takes it a lot better then his current build would suggest. It will be a lot easier to see when he spends a pre-season (or two) in the gym and he stops looking like a twig.

Last edited:
Yeah we don't have too many of those natural forwards. We seems to be using those spots as placeholders for future mids.

I'd admit that not based on a lot, right now it is just a hunch based on his physical attributes and how he handles physical contact, he takes it a lot better then his current build would suggest. It will be a lot easier to see when he spends a pre-season (or two) in the gym and he stops looking like a twig.
Yes we have tendency to use FP , HFP to blood mids but if our mid group is starting to thicken..I think it may be time to look for a more goal kick HF that can play mid minutes rather than mid first. Be interesting to see if look at someone like that post season. I wonder what our age profile is like now , are we still wanting more middle 20 types.. Perhaps if Menegola is a success we will look at that again.

That's officially career over Clark as harsh as that sounds.

Because he has a week off for 2 newborns in hospital? Edit: sorry i didnt see your apology

Back on the game good to see caddy back and hopefully our vfl team continues it's good efforts. Scooter said weeks ago they would start him at half back and build him up to midfield before he plays seniors so i am really interested to see him play a full game in the midfield this year.

Yes we have tendency to use FP , HFP to blood mids but if our mid group is starting to thicken..I think it may be time to look for a more goal kick HF that can play mid minutes rather than mid first. Be interesting to see if look at someone like that post season. I wonder what our age profile is like now , are we still wanting more middle 20 types.. Perhaps if Menegola is a success we will look at that again.

Our age profile is pretty normal (our average age gets pulled high by Enright, Bartel and co but we have a good spread of ages) after the last off season we're set for guys in that 24-27 prime age. We added half a dozen guys in that age group. Dangerifeld, Smith, S.Selwood and Henderson are all 26 this year, Menegola and Ruggles are both 24. We got quite a few back from injury Menzel , Cowan and Vardy are 25. Next year Guthrie, Caddy, Kersten and GHS turn 24. We have more guys then we can fit into the team. And we have quite a few more in that age group that I haven't mentioned. I can't see us going mature aged unless there is a particular drastic need that I'm just not seeing.

Should be a very interesting game.
Cunico back at last.

Lucey to lead the big man division. In fact he is it. Will be interesting to see how he goes v Cox, Gault and Howe.

Delaney will have to pick up one of these when they go forward - Buzza may play back too.

A number of very good players are missing and that's still a very good team.
I've liked Buzza it'd be good to see him kick a few goals this season for his development. Obviously they won't all make it but the recruiting the last couple of years has been very good again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back