2nds VFL v Pies @ Vic Park saturday 12pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Won't happen but it would reflect how I see his value.
I'm not far off, I'd just keep for depth or rookie. Only reason I think he's playing is so they at least know what they've got. Having said that sides supposedly challenging for a flag should probably be putting their best 22 out there rather than just seeing what's on their list a la Richmond right now.

Won't happen but it would reflect how I see his value.
Yeah but you also think we need no speed down back?!? Which just shows how out of touch you are with footy in 2016, your perfect back 6 (in no particular order) is Enright, Bartel, Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor, and Mackie. We need two quick players in our back 6 if we are to be adaptable and do anything serious in finals in 2016. I suspect someone on the coaches staff is recognising that and why since the Stkilda and Sydney debacles were seeing a smaller side with Cowan, Cocky, Menegola and others being given more time at half back.

Yeah but you also think we need no speed down back?!? Which just shows how out of touch you are with footy in 2016, your perfect back 6 (in no particular order) is Enright, Bartel, Lonergan, Henderson, Taylor, and Mackie. We need two quick players in our back 6 if we are to be adaptable and do anything serious in finals in 2016. I suspect someone on the coaches staff is recognising that and why since the Stkilda and Sydney debacles were seeing a smaller side with Cowan, Cocky, Menegola and others being given more time at half back.
Incorrect.

I'm realistic about the quality of (or lack thereof, more aptly) quick small defenders we have on our list and would rather we go with quality over concept.

If we had a Rory Laird or Adam Saad, for example, it'd be a no brainer to play them. We don't do we play the best we have.

Cowan isn't in the same solar system as the best running small defenders in the league.

Incorrect.

I'm realistic about the quality of (or lack thereof, more aptly) quick small defenders we have on our list and would rather we go with quality over concept.

If we had a Rory Laird or Adam Saad, for example, it'd be a no brainer to play them. We don't do we play the best we have.

Cowan isn't in the same solar system as the best running small defenders in the league.
If the set up/concept is wrong in modern footy it doesn't matter about the quality of players you have you're stuffed!

We will need to be able to play fast end to end footy in finals and to do that you need to have quick defenders capable of quick two way running both to rebound and protect the other way (especially against quick oppostion forwards). Your prefered back line just won't be capable of that at all and as a result restrict us to only being able to play one particular gamestyle that being our slowbuild up forward press model.

The coaches seem to understand this at the moment but if they do settle for your model we'll fail in finals yet again.

Incorrect.

Oh, and I do rate Cowan and think he'll only get better and be a really viable option for us if we play him in the last month of the season...he won't improve playing VFL anymore.

Reading these threads. Funny. I'm glad we aren't the match committee. Not a single player would get more than 2 games in a row in the seniors. :D

Caddy is not AFL material.
Can't wait for Caddy to come back. His loss has really put a hole in our midfield.
Clark will save our forward line! Let's delist Hawkins.
We have to get rid of Clark.
Who the hell is Menegola?
Menegola is a lock and will win the Norm Smith!
Scott Selwood must come in. Menegola should make way.
Your problem may be you take the comments way too seriously.;)

Geez BlightysCats, if our fate rests in Cowan's hands as much as you say I'm as pessimistic about our chances as you are! ;)

(Luckily that's complete folly)
It rests in having at least 2 fast smaller defenders, I personally think it relies on having four rotating between midfield defence and forward (depending on the player) I just think Cowan is important in that mix of probably Menegola, Guthrie, Cocky, and Cowan because the only other alternative is Bews who while improving isn't ready for a pressure final. Cowan is an important inclusion IMO because if he's not included it will be indicative that a wider philosophy has been taken by our MC of not believing pace in defence is important and if that happens as I've agued for some time now we'll be in trouble due to the lack options we'll have in changing and adapting our game style within games.

Last edited:
Cowan has played 8 games in his career, this year he's played in our last 3 all have been wins, he's played 75% game time in 2 of the 3 and 73% game time in the other one so in total out of 12 qtrs of possible footy he's played just under 9 qtr's, or you could say 2 full games and a bit.

In just two games and a bit of 2016 having played only 5 games in his AFL career to that point he's had 33 effective disposals, 7 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 4 rebound 50s, and 15 tackles - personally I'd say he's more than doing his job of being a running option out of defence and I'm pretty sure any small defender in the league would take those numbers just as any sensible coach would, especially in just 9 qtrs of footy.

It rests in having at least 2 fast smaller defenders, I personally think it relies on having four rotating between midfiled defnce and forward (depending on the player) I just think Cowan is important in that mix of probably Menegola, Guthrie, Cocky, and Cowan because the only other alternative is Bews who while improving isn't ready for a pressure final. Cowan is an important inclusion IMO because if he's not included it will be indicative that a wider philosophy has been taken by our MC of not believing pace in defence is important and if that happens as I've agued for some time now we'll be in trouble due to the lack options we'll have in changing and adapting our game style within games.

If we are going down that path, which I think has merit by the way, then I'd prefer to play Ruggles and Guthrie as the two small defenders, and have Menegola playing midfield with Dangerfield, Selwood, Caddy, Duncan etc. Just don't think Cowan has the class to stand up in a final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cowan has played 8 games in his career, this year he's played in our last 3 all have been wins, he's played 75% game time in 2 of the 3 and 73% game time in the other one so in total out of 12 qtrs of possible footy he's played just under 9 qtr's, or you could say 2 full games and a bit.

In just two games and a bit of 2016 having played only 5 games in his AFL career to that point he's had 33 effective disposals, 7 inside 50s, 2 goal assists, 4 rebound 50s, and 15 tackles - personally I'd say he's more than doing his job of being a running option out of defence and I'm pretty sure any small defender in the league would take those numbers just as any sensible coach would, especially in just 9 qtrs of footy.

He also fumbles a lot and falls to the ground which isn't recorded in the stats. They're my main two gripes with him.

He also fumbles a lot and falls to the ground which isn't recorded in the stats. They're my main two gripes with him.
He's played 8 games of footy?!?! Given the fact we have nobody to bring in as a running defender and the form I posted above he's a certainty to stay in for mine and as I said more games prior to finals will only make him better.

Can't stand up in a tackle, poor when possession rushed, not particularly skilled, etc.

Screams finals footy to me!

He's played 8 games of footy?!?! Given the fact we have nobody to bring in as a running defender and the form I posted above he's a certainty to stay in for mine and as I said more games prior to finals will only make him better.

Exactly. Not necessarily a criticism. But it's why he probably will be one of the first to go out.

Not sure why you would be confident about that. He will be the first one out for Caddy and S.Selwood so unless we get a few injuries....
I'm not saying that I'm confident about this, but I reckon that both Bews and Menegola will be dropped before Cowan is.

He's been there 7 years. To justify being on the list, let alone getting senior games, he should be pretty bloody exceptional. Instead he is extraordinarily ordinary. He certainly shouldn't be a deer in headlights under pressure. That's what he looked like at times Friday night.

I don't quite get the 'running defender' argument - we've already got Enright, Ruggles and Bews all in the same team. And Mackie. That's more than enough drive from defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back