VFLW VFLW 2019 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Team for Round 3 vs Collingwood @ GMHBA Stadium on Saturday 25th May @ 11.30am as the curtain raiser to the Geelong vs Coburg VFL game:

B: 17. G. Clarke, 44. R. Goring, 49. E. Ramsay
HB: 28. D. Taylor, 4. C. Blakeway, 11. J. Woollett
C: 3. A. McDonald, 5. J. Ivey, 10. G. Rankin
HF: 45. M. Keryk, 26. M. Boyd, 2. D. Orr
F: 42. B. Beckley, 8. K. Darby, 7. R. Benham
R: 1. R. Caris, 21. R. Webster, 9. T. Love
Int: 41. A. Haigh, 43. M. Maguire, 22. A. McDonnell, 23. H. Rowe
Emg: 14. N. French, 33. Z. Inei, 20. R. Pearce
23P: 19. S. DeGiacomi

In: D. Orr, A. McDonnell, D. Taylor

Congratulations to Maddy Keryk who plays her 50th VFLW game this weekend.

Game will be live on gofooty.live plus the Cats website (VFLW page), the VFL app and in Melbourne on RSN Carnival 2 digital radio

Back in the day the little league kicked bigger scores than the women Geel 1.3=9 vs Coll 2.4=16 3qt time....and the little league used the hole ground

Last edited:

Team vs Western Bulldogs @ Victoria University Whitten Oval, Sunday 2nd June at 11.30am, as curtain raiser to the VFL game:

Geelong Cats
B: 49. E. Ramsay, 44. R. Goring, 11. J. Woollett
HB: 20. R. Pearce, 4. C. Blakeway, 28. D. Taylor
HF: 16. O. Purcell, 26. M. Boyd, 27. S. Van De Heuvel
F: 9. T. Love, 8. K. Darby, 43. M. Maguire
R: 1. R. Caris, 21. R. Webster, 45. M. Keryk
Int: 7. R. Benham, 41. A. Haigh, 35. L. Lesosky-Hay, 34. M. Skinner
Emg: 15. G. Deller, 48. M. Fedele, 33. Z. Inei
23P: 47. D. Smith

In: R. Pearce, L. Lesosky-Hay, Z. Inei, O. Purcell, M. Skinner, S. Van De Heuvel,
D. Smith, M. Fedele, G. Deller
Out: D. Orr, S. DeGiacomi, H. Rowe, G. Clarke, A. McDonnell, B. Beckley

AS many as three Geelong Falcons graduates could make their VFL Women’s debut when Geelong meets the second-placed Western Bulldogs at Whitten Oval on Sunday.
Daisy Smith will definitely play as the Cats’ 23rd player, while NAB League leading goal kicker Mia Skinner and fellow Vic Country squad member Luka Lesosky-Hay have been named in the squad of 25, with coach Natalie Wood to finalise her team following training on Friday night.
“Daisy is one of the Falcons that’s not in the Vic Country squad, so there’s a likelihood that Daisy’s more available for us as a 23rd over the coming weeks,” Wood said.
“It will be a great opportunity for her to show her capabilities at a senior level.
“There are quite a number of Falcons that are in the Vic Country squad, so we are trying, if possible, to give them all a game over the coming weeks.

“But given the Falcons are so successful, trying to slot five or six of them in, we’ve got to make sure it works for them, but it also works for the rest of our squad as well.”

Could the opportunities that are now being open to Falcons players over the remainder of the season be used as potential auditions for selection at the aflw draft later this year?

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl-news/falcons-trio-line-cats-debut/

Good to see Purcell & Van De Heuvel back, hope that Orr is just being 'managed'.
Orr is out with concussion - hopefully be ok to go next week

Orr is out with concussion - hopefully be ok to go next week
Can't really like that she is out with concussion, she is 1 of my fav players. Puts in the hard yards without a lot of recognition.

Hoping she is spot on b4 she fronts up again.

Team vs Western Bulldogs @ Victoria University Whitten Oval, Sunday 2nd June at 11.30am, as curtain raiser to the VFL game:

Geelong Cats
B: 49. E. Ramsay, 44. R. Goring, 11. J. Woollett
HB: 20. R. Pearce, 4. C. Blakeway, 28. D. Taylor
HF: 16. O. Purcell, 26. M. Boyd, 27. S. Van De Heuvel
F: 9. T. Love, 8. K. Darby, 43. M. Maguire
R: 1. R. Caris, 21. R. Webster, 45. M. Keryk
Int: 7. R. Benham, 41. A. Haigh, 35. L. Lesosky-Hay, 34. M. Skinner
Emg: 15. G. Deller, 48. M. Fedele, 33. Z. Inei
23P: 47. D. Smith

In: R. Pearce, L. Lesosky-Hay, Z. Inei, O. Purcell, M. Skinner, S. Van De Heuvel,
D. Smith, M. Fedele, G. Deller
Out: D. Orr, S. DeGiacomi, H. Rowe, G. Clarke, A. McDonnell, B. Beckley

Today's VFLW/VFL Double-header will be live from 10.30am on goFooty.Live, the Cats Website (VFL page), RSN Carnival 2 digital radio in Melbourne (VFLW only) and the VFL app.

Saw the stats on the VFL app. Apparently we had twice as many inside 50s last week, 45 to 24, but only scored one goal. Guess we still haven't discovered a forward set-up which can capitalise on the work done further up field.

Anyhow, onto the team for this weekend vs Richmond at Punt Road Oval on Saturday at 2.30pm:

B: 49. E. Ramsay, 20. R. Pearce, 11. J. Woollett
HB: 37. A. Chapman, 44. R. Goring, 28. D. Taylor
C: 4. C. Blakeway, 5. J. Ivey, 41. A. Haigh
HF: 16. O. Purcell, 8. K. Darby, 27. S. Van De Heuvel
F: 6. J. Crockett-Grills, 36. L. McEvoy, 43. M. Maguire
R: 1. R. Caris, 30. R. Cranston, 21. R. Webster
Int: 7. R. Benham, 48. M. Fedele, 45. M. Keryk, 9. T. Love
Emg: 42. B. Beckley, 15. G. Deller, 33. Z. Inei, 13. L. Taylor
23P: 22. E. Vella

In: J. Crockett-Grills, R. Cranston, E. Vella, B. Beckley, Z. Inei, A. Chapman, L. Taylor, R. Benham, L. McEvoy, M. Fedele
Out: G. Rankin, L. Lesosky-Hay, M. Boyd, A. McDonald, D. Smith, M. Skinner

Good to see Rocky Cranston back! :) Hopefully Lucy McEvoy is playing the first of many games for our women's sides too.

I wouldn't mind us playing a forward line more akin to what we'll see in the aflw because it's clearly one area we need to work on across both leagues/seasons

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BUGGER...

RICHMOND 2.1, 7.1, 7.4, 8.7 (55)
GEELONG 3.2, 3.3, 4.3, 5.3 (33)

Goals: Richmond: J. Colwell 2, K. Jacques 2, E. Gunn, T. Stahl, C. Wakefield, J. Kennedy
Geelong: M. Maguire 2, J. Crockett-Grills, O. Purcell, R. Webster

Best: Richmond: M. Conti, G. Campbell, K. Jacques, L. Davie, A. Makur Chuot, G. Egan
Geelong: J. Crockett-Grills, M. Maguire, O. Purcell, R. Goring, R. Webster, M. Keryk

SPEEDSTER Michelle Fedele has been taken to hospital after suffering a suspected broken ankle in Geelong’s 22-point loss to Richmond at Punt Road Oval on Saturday.

The game was stopped for more than five minutes midway through the final quarter as the Cats’ medical staff tended to Fedele.

“She went to make a tackle, I believe, and she’s got her foot caught up in the situation; a real nasty fracture it looked like,” coach Natalie Wood said.

“Our medical team is with her at the Epworth at the moment.

“I haven’t got an update as yet, but there will be a fracture of some description.

“Hopefully’s it’s just one bone, but we’ll wait and see.”

Fedele wasn’t the only injury concern for the Cats, with young defender Denby Taylor failing to see out the first term after suffering a concussion.

“She hit her head on the ground and was quite dazed afterwards,” Wood said. “She was out for the rest of the day.”

“I really respect and I’m really proud of the group for their resilience to watch two of their teammates suffer injuries and keep going about their business was outstanding.”

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/vfl...AkjmZ2gvYl2jmI77zj9cegzliVuZemxFlVGlrdICMPcu8

haven't watched any of the current VFLW season, but I've just started watching the Rd5 game - enjoying the standard already despite knowing the negative result ahead of time ..

Impressions from Rd5.

First game I've checked out of the 2019 VFLW season and I was pleasantly surprised by the standard; recent reports of depressingly low-scoring losses hinted at 80 minutes of unedifying viewing, but despite the loss I thought we showed plenty of positive signs.

* dazbroncos your girl Olivia Purcell looks as though she hasn't been off the training track nor out of the gym since I last watched her play in our loss to the Crows at Adelaide Oval.
She is looking super fit and has gained a lot of muscle. Also, since I first saw her play two years ago she's added a consistent 10 meters to her average long kick; her kicking was pretty shallow when I first saw her, nowadays she's a decent kick for her weight division, both length and accuracy-wise.

* nice to see some new faces getting a game for the VFLW team; I'll have fun assessing their potential for a spot on the AFLW list in my armchair-expert way as as the season progresses. Abby Chapman #37 looked pretty good today, Anna Haig has a nice left foot when she gets it. Maguire might be next year's Burchell .......

* I'm happy to see Rebecca Pearce again this year - she played well in the VFLW finals series last year and I thought she might have been a sneaky chance for the AFLW list; she reminds me of Maddy McMahon, good overhead and lots of raw talent. Needs to fix her kicking technique though; it's almost a dealbreaker. I'll make an early call that she'll be a mature-aged addition to our AFLW list next year, if her kicking is somewhat ironed out.

* apart from Purcell, we had 3 of our other AFLW 1st round picks playing: Denby Taylor, Bec Webster & Sophie Van De Heuval.
Taylor was barely sighted; she was on the bench for most of the 1st quarter I think, then copped a head knock and spent the 2nd half off the field.
Sophie VDH continues to cruise around in a very low-intensity mode; she's neat with the ball when she gets it, and she can run, but she shows very little intent.
Bec Webster has apparently been trialled as a mid (as opposed to a defender) during the VFLW season so far. She milked an absolutely classic 100m penalty in the 3rd quarter, leading to a goal. I'm not sure she quite has the tank to be an elite midfielder in the AFLW but she has a ton to work with. Has the height and strength to play a key defensive role if required.

Another of last year's draftees, Rene Caris, has easily the worst kicking technique on either our VFLW or AFLW list. Who is coaching this player?
She's not a terrible ruck, but that kicking style is woeful (and ineffectual).

* nice to get a look at Geelong Falcons captain Lucy McEvoy in open-age competition.
She is shorter than I remember!
Played KF in last year's U/18 national champs and kicked plenty of goals.
She is strongly built and canny, wins 1v1 comps. Maybe not the KF you'd envision, but she looks as though she can play anywhere and have an impact - will be a very welcome addition to the AFLW side.
Didn't dominate, but close to our most effective player in this match, I thought.
McEvoy beat Katie Brennan in two 1v1 contests with greater use of her body. Some of her tackling was brutal; at 14.55 in the 3rd quarter she executes two superb tackles in the space of a few seconds.

* Mon Conti is a huge get for Richmond, I'd argue an even bigger get than Sabrina Frederick-Traub (who didn't play in this match).

* the Fedele injury was relatively innocuous, yet had the feel of a Jason Snell magnitude incident.

Lastly, Rocky Cranston takes a great pack mark specky at 9.15 in the 3rd quarter. She flew for one earlier that quarter too, but anyway check it owt.

Great report Cursed_Cat abd super impressed to hear my girl is killing it .

Can’t wait to see her next year.

Go Catters

Team to play Casey on Saturday 22nd June @ 11.30am at GMHBA Stadium.

B: 49. E. Ramsay, 20. R. Pearce, 23. H. Rowe
HB: 28. D. Taylor, 4. C. Blakeway, 29. K. Woodroffe
C: 3. A. McDonald, 6. J. Crockett-Grills, 10. G. Rankin
HF: 2. D. Orr, 30. R. Cranston, 27. S. Van De Heuvel
F: 41. A. Haigh, 17. G. Clarke, 43. M. Maguire
R: 1. R. Caris, 5. J. Ivey, 45. M. Keryk
Int: 7. R. Benham, 12. R. Garing, 33. Z. Inei, 8. T. Love
Emg: 42. B. Beckley, 13. L. Taylor, 21. R. Webster, 11. J. Woollett
23P: 32. K. Haustorfer

For those interested, the game will be live streamed on the VFL website.

Been some very good tackling by the girls so far, shame that 1 of those that were playing well in Denby Taylor, just got hurt and taken off on a stretcher.

Familiar faces in Orr, Keryk, Van De Heuvel, Garing, Ivey & Clarke have been busy. Benham has looked dangerous fwd with 2 goals.

Last edited:
The usual suspects continuing on from the 1st quarter. Nice pass from Garing to Cranston who marked it well but let herself down with an ordinary kick.

Blakeway is leading in defence, though it hasn't been down there too much this 1/4.

McGuire & Rankin were good, Love worked hard. Unfortunately Caris missed an easy shot on goal late.

Curiousity from the 1st 1/4, umpire tried to give Casey a 50 metre penalty when a free kick had already been awarded to Geelong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back