VFLW VFLW 2019 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was keeping an eye on the scores during the afternoon. Seems there was a breeze going to one end of the ground. Melbourne Uni were leading 3.0 to 1.1 at 1/4 time, we kicked 3 goals to one ourselves in the 2nd term to go into half time a point ahead. Melbourne Uni kicked the only 3 goals of the 3rd term to go into the last change 17 points up, but unfortunately we could only manage 3 behinds in the last quarter.

The result leaves us a game and 30% behind Melbourne Uni with 2 games to go, so it is highly unlikely we could make up that percentage deficit, and need to hope Melbourne Uni somehow lose to NT Thunder at home in a fortnight. The other hope is Hawthorn, who are currently 6 points clear of us, losing both their games to the top two sides in the coming weeks.

Was keeping an eye on the scores during the afternoon. Seems there was a breeze going to one end of the ground. Melbourne Uni were leading 3.0 to 1.1 at 1/4 time, we kicked 3 goals to one ourselves in the 2nd term to go into half time a point ahead. Melbourne Uni kicked the only 3 goals of the 3rd term to go into the last change 17 points up, but unfortunately we could only manage 3 behinds in the last quarter.

The result leaves us a game and 30% behind Melbourne Uni with 2 games to go, so it is highly unlikely we could make up that percentage deficit, and need to hope Melbourne Uni somehow lose to NT Thunder at home in a fortnight. The other hope is Hawthorn, who are currently 6 points clear of us, losing both their games to the top two sides in the coming weeks.
The accuracy is costing us but good grounding for some of the younger players and for the AFLW players to pass on knowledge.

Geelong's round 15 VFLW match against Williamstown this Sunday has been moved.

The match will now take place at La Trobe University, Bundoora with the first bounce at 12.30pm.

The Cats will name their squad for this week's game tonight.

Anna Teague back cats_09 - first game for her since the AFLW campaign finished?
:) :thumbsu:

Great to see - I started second guessing if she was on our vflw list or not.

I was at the Geelong Supercats NBL1 final last Sunday and she was there, I was considering whether or not to ask her if she was going to line up this winter or not but decided against it.

Interesting that Cranston, Ivey and Orr are all listed as emergencies. Would think with a potential finals berth up for grabs all 3 would be playing, but it could be we've just got an extended bench since it's a Sunday game.

We can only play 12(?) AFLW listed players - so might be a challenge as too which listed players we choose each week.

Could explain a few bigger names as emergencies

haha that's funny it's always windy only place I have ever played footy..were you can kick forward but goes over your head lol...can tell you it did not get canned from the wind

I'm well aware of the impact of the wind there and the comment was more tongue in cheek than anything

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great to see - I started second guessing if she was on our vflw list or not.

I was at the Geelong Supercats NBL1 final last Sunday and she was there, I was considering whether or not to ask her if she was going to line up this winter or not but decided against it.

well if you ever strike up the nerve to strike up a conversation tell 'er CC's a big fan - seen a couple of interviews with her on the official Geelong site and and she came across really well, articulate and very nice.
like I've said to you previously C09; she was probably my first favourite of the Geelong women's team when they joined the VFLW comp in 2017; she was one of our very best.

well if you ever strike up the nerve to strike up a conversation tell 'er CC's a big fan - seen a couple of interviews with her on the official Geelong site and and she came across really well, articulate and very nice.
like I've said to you previously C09; she was probably my first favourite of the Geelong women's team when they joined the VFLW comp in 2017; she was one of our very best.

I've often chatted with Anna going back to her basketball days - both my mum & I follow the basketball and there was a period of time when my mum would see her at like 7/7:30am when they would be having coffee at the same place. At that stage Anna was teaching & a group of them would car pool in the mornings - she's a friendly, chatty person.

I've bumped into her at the football, basketball & other places, she's never minded having a chat. Her partners the same; he's a former basketball player & now Chairman of Basketball Geelong. I know Seb will be at the basketball tomorrow, just a question if Anna will join him - if she's there I'll wish her luck & tell her the Geelong big footy community is behind her, especially CC.

Cursed_Cat, Anna made it to the basketball game and I had the opportunity to chat with her. Because the football is back up in the same region tomorrow, she wasn't sure she would be at the basketball tonight but then decided to do the double trip.

First question from Anna when I saw her was, "hi, how are you?". Then had a chance to chat a little later.

Told her about the online forum and that she's a favourite of the posters who follow the AFLW & VFLW. Let her know about you, that we have a mad keen fan from Queensland and that she's a favourite from when the team first started and praise for the way she presents herself in videos & interviews.

She was really happy to hear that, and especially that people are actually watching those things.

Anna mentioned it's been 6 months she's been out and she'll now get 2 games - so we can expect her in next weeks team also.

Cursed_Cat, Anna made it to the basketball game and I had the opportunity to chat with her. Because the football is back up in the same region tomorrow, she wasn't sure she would be at the basketball tonight but then decided to do the double trip.

First question from Anna when I saw her was, "hi, how are you?". Then had a chance to chat a little later.

Told her about the online forum and that she's a favourite of the posters who follow the AFLW & VFLW. Let her know about you, that we have a mad keen fan from Queensland and that she's a favourite from when the team first started and praise for the way she presents herself in videos & interviews.

She was really happy to hear that, and especially that people are actually watching those things.

Anna mentioned it's been 6 months she's been out and she'll now get 2 games - so we can expect her in next weeks team also.

Ha that is awesome cats_09, wrapt that AT knows we have her back on the Cats BF board!

Hope she produces her best form next week!

Was that 6 months out with a dodgy back, or was it unclear? :)

Ha that is awesome cats_09, wrapt that AT knows we have her back on the Cats BF board!

Hope she produces her best form next week!

Was that 6 months out with a dodgy back, or was it unclear? :)
Think I read back issues and I know it's something that troubled her at times during her basketball days

Hopefully it's something manageable and not going to be a major issue going forward.

I know that both the AFLW & VFLW are semi-professional (if that) in terms of the women being able to be full time footballers & making that the full focus, but with Anna working for the GFC, I wonder if that's helping things such as treatment & management of any issues. Surely it means she has a better chance access to the clubs facilities and even medical staff if/when required, versus working externally with access only during contact hours or playing basketball but having a full-time job outside of that

Think I read back issues and I know it's something that troubled her at times during her basketball days

Hopefully it's something manageable and not going to be a major issue going forward.

I know that both the AFLW & VFLW are semi-professional (if that) in terms of the women being able to be full time footballers & making that the full focus, but with Anna working for the GFC, I wonder if that's helping things such as treatment & management of any issues. Surely it means she has a better chance access to the clubs facilities and even medical staff if/when required, versus working externally with access only during contact hours or playing basketball but having a full-time job outside of that

Good point, hopefully she is in exactly the position you speculate - I've had ongoing back issues myself and they are such tricky things to manage.
The club seems to have had a good result with getting Tom Hawkins through a tough period a few years ago; I understand that back problems can encompass a wide range of issues though.

Team vs Carlton at 1.45pm Saturday as a curtain raiser to the AFL game:

B: 34. M. Brown, 40. A. Teague, 20. R. Pearce
HB: 42. B. Beckley, 18. M. Hickey, 21. R. Webster
C: 3. A. McDonald, 36. L. McEvoy, 28. D. Taylor
HF: 43. M. Maguire, 30. R. Cranston, 2. D. Orr
F: 8. K. Darby, 17. G. Clarke, 11. J. Woollett
R: 1. R. Caris, 27. S. Van De Heuvel, 5. J. Ivey
Int: 7. R. Benham, 12. R. Garing, 9. T. Love, 23. H. Rowe
Emg: 4. C. Blakeway, 44. R. Goring, 41. A. Haigh, 33. Z. Inei, 45. M. Keryk,
10. G. Rankin, 22. E. Vella
23P: 31. P. Sheppard

In: D. Orr, A. Haigh, R. Cranston, E. Vella, J. Ivey, H. Rowe, R. Garing, L. McEvoy, M. Brown
Out: L. Lesosky-Hay, D. Smith

Could be interesting. We're currently 7th on percentage from Melbourne Uni, but half a game behind Hawthorn who play the 2nd placed Collingwood at 12 noon on Saturday. By the time we run out, we should have a fair idea if just a win against the 2nd last placed Carlton will be enough to make the finals.

Well, Collingwood did us a favour by beating Hawthorn. We just need to win now to make the finals. Early in the second half and we lead by 21, 5.3.33 to 2.0.12.

On CPH1701 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back