VFLW VFLW 2019 Season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just tuned into the last quarter... haven't seen any W stuff for a while ... poor skills and an injury ... unfortunately not a lot has changed has it...
Considering the game time is reduced by a third, the scoring isn't significantly smaller than what Gold Coast produce.

Considering the game time is reduced by a third, the scoring isn't significantly smaller than what Gold Coast produce.

I could have mentioned scoring but I mentioned skills and I mentioned and injury almost a minute afetr I started watching ... which is the two most concerning issues imo.

Womens football must play a more outside skillful game..if is to garner support imo. I hate comments about work rate and numbers and competitive ..just means a worse standard of game.. it would be a better game if both sides had less work rate and it was more open. But generally not enough of the girls can kick the ball properly and control possesion...abysmal ball drops and poor contact. Effort is not questioned nor fitness nor their desire.

I can only hope once we get a couple more years of the best standard more and more of the girls get more natural at kicking it...

goal to Maguire makes it a 13 point margin with only about a minute to go...

Melb Uni's AFLW listed players far more influential than their Geelong counterparts today - and the Kangaroos list-build continues to leave ours in the shade.

Youngsters Lucy McEvoy and Millie Brown were both pretty good, they'll be welcome additions to our AFLW list next year.

Sophie Van De Heuval played the best game I've seen from her in the hoops, she looked dangerous.

Bec Webster still not really producing the kind of footy I'd have hoped from her; she's still probably only 19ish but she has the talent to do better.

3 goals to Maguire was a handy return.

I could have mentioned scoring but I mentioned skills and I mentioned and injury almost a minute afetr I started watching ... which is the two most concerning issues imo.

Womens football must play a more outside skillful game..if is to garner support imo. I hate comments about work rate and numbers and competitive ..just means a worse standard of game.. it would be a better game if both sides had less work rate and it was more open. But generally not enough of the girls can kick the ball properly and control possesion...abysmal ball drops and poor contact. Effort is not questioned nor fitness nor their desire.

I can only hope once we get a couple more years of the best standard more and more of the girls get more natural at kicking it...
Don't be such a sad sack. If you'd watched the first half, there was great outside running, good passing skills and and some great shots at goal by both teams.

Don't be such a sad sack. If you'd watched the first half, there was great outside running, good passing skills and and some great shots at goal by both teams.

Max .. Good Im glad it was a lot better in the first half..id hate to think it was like that for the full game.. Watching a bit of the first q on replay .. still a numbers around the ball game and mentions of high intensity tackling....

To me if the skills shown were better ..the game would get more positive comments. Lets not hide behind the truth just cause its some game played by W comp. Im all for both comps and all playing but I will not call what I saw anything less a very poor level of execution.. still far too many that have come from a non footy background atm

Sad sack cause I ass a negative comment? ... that is step towards sanitised commentary ... we do not want under any circumstances to say.. ohh well what do you expect they are only girls. Girls can do better , should be demanded to do better ..there is no reason why their skills can not be improved.

On the injury front. This is a worrying issue .. its a fact that women footballer ..perhaps women in all sports have a higher degree of injury.. It may be coincidental that afetr 5 minutes there was a girl down..but it is not something that should just be ignored cause its uncomfortable to talk about.. knees and legs are one ..thing but head injuries for both sexes will become a huge issue in the next couple of years... even more reason I feel the girls game should be more outside ..not based on contested body banging which is used by some coaches to make up a shortfall in skill.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any idea when the AFLW schedule gets released (sorry if wrong place to ask)

All good asking here - once things start ramping up with that we'll create it's own thread.

At this stage - no idea, still waiting to here what's happening with the draft & stuff

Think it might be at least another month until we start to know more

All good asking here - once things start ramping up with that we'll create it's own thread.

At this stage - no idea, still waiting to here what's happening with the draft & stuff

Think it might be at least another month until we start to know more

We still don't even know how many games are going to be played, do we?

We still don't even know how many games are going to be played, do we?

Think we are still waiting on that and if they are going to stick with the conference system

I'm taking a guess that tonight is the launch of the NRLW season, and caught bit of an interview with one of the Brisbane Broncos players (maybe captain) and she made some really good points that I wish those running the AFLW & VFLW would take note of.

Currently, she doesn't know who the Broncos will be playing in the opening round as it seems their season is run based on the NRL mens finals (need to find out more). But the really smart stuff was her response to the question, "where do you see the league in 10 years?"

This was the basis of her answer:
- playing a full season
- don't need to be 12 teams, less teams would make a stronger competition
- better to play each team twice compared to once

I wish those running the AFLW & VFLW would look at that - expanding the competition to quickly dilutes the quality of teams. And surely it's easier to sell to the public a stronger competition, and there's added value to playing each team once or preferable twice, compared to last AFLW season where it wasn't even once against each team.

The VFL & VFLW had their night of nights last night and while none of our girls came away with the major award, we had a few in the team of the year & the umpires didn't totally ignore us in the votes:

Team of the year:

Interesting that Bec Webster was named in the starting 18 of the team of the year, yet didn't pick up a vote.

Good to see youngsters Van Den Heuvel, Taylor, Caris and McEvoy in among the vote getters too.

Also good to see Phoebe McWilliams in the team of the year too, from an AFLW standpoint.

Interesting that Bec Webster was named in the starting 18 of the team of the year, yet didn't pick up a vote.

Good to see youngsters Van Den Heuvel, Taylor, Caris and McEvoy in among the vote getters too.

Also good to see Phoebe McWilliams in the team of the year too, from an AFLW standpoint.

McEvoy would have only played a few games wouldn't she - spent most of the season with the Falcons & then the under 18 championships?

So hope she nominates Geelong for the draft - she looks like being a great pick up if we can get her

McEvoy would have only played a few games wouldn't she - spent most of the season with the Falcons & then the under 18 championships?

So hope she nominates Geelong for the draft - she looks like being a great pick up if we can get her

Hope we get Millie Brown with a father-daughter pick. Get her and McEvoy, and hopefully Nina Morrison back, plus another year of development into the likes of Caris, Van Den Heuvel, Taylor, Clarke, Webster and Purcell and we could look to improve next season. :)

B&F on tonight:

Ahead of Thursday evening’s VFLW Best and Fairest Count, here is a look at some of the players vying for top honours. Live updates will be shared on the catswomens Twitter and Instagram accounts throughout the event.

Rocky Cranston
Rebecca Webster
Amy McDonald
Sophie Van De Heuvel
Madisen Maguire

Remove this Banner Ad

Back