12North Melbourne (H)10am, Saturday, May 22Windy Hillpostponed/abandoned
13Darebin (A)12pm, Saturday, May 29Bill Lawry Ovalpostponed/abandoned
14Williamstown (A)1pm, Saturday, June 19Downer OvalWIN: Match Report
15Darebin (A)12pm, Saturday, June 26Bill Lawry OvalWIN: Match Report
EFCasey Demons (A)12pm, Saturday, July 3Casey FieldsWIN: Match Report
SFCollingwood (A)12pm, Saturday, July 10Victoria ParkLOSS: Match Report
PFGeelong (H)12pm, Saturday, July 31Windy HillLOSS: Match Report

Last edited:
No mention of Stephanie Hird? Her LinkedIn is impressive, does mention " I also played AFL and was part of the 2018 and 2019 Essendon VFLW team "

No mention of Stephanie Hird? Her LinkedIn is impressive, does mention " I also played AFL and was part of the 2018 and 2019 Essendon VFLW team "
Played ‘aussie rules’ I suppose she means. I think she went overseas to study but idk how that’s worked out with COVID.

Was/is she a quality player?

maybe not as good as her Tennis skills " being ranked in the top 100 in Australia for Open Women " struth!!
I believe I probably went a bit too extreme on 1st round in 1 tournament.

But the 100th ranked Australian woman currently Leann Serna (ranked 1751 in the world) played 8 country Victorian tournaments in 2019 to 2020 Semis or better in 5. Good stats. Hird isn't even listed in Australian rankings so hadn't played in last 24 months at least.

Last tournament and only ITF tournament was junior girls NSW ITF. Where she lost first round so top 100 open women is definitely a stretch considering she hasn't played Open aged points tournaments

Any word on how we can watch the games?
No idea. Usually there are scores posted on twitter, but sometimes they're not, and you don't always get live updates.

I think usually some of them are live-streamed, like maybe one or two games per round? But it's been a bit hit and miss in the past, and a COVID-affected season isn't likely to be more reliable than what it was before...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

R1: Defeated by the Southern Saints
It got a write up at least.
Bombers beaten in VFLW season opener
Essendon VFLW has suffered an 18-point defeat to the Southern Saints in its season opener and first official game at the NEC Hangar.

The Bombers fought back in the second half after a slow start, but couldn’t overturn a 30-point half-time deficit in the 4.5 (29) to 7.5 (47) loss.

After no football since the 2019 season, excitement and intensity levels were high throughout the first quarter, with the Saints having to fight hard to score the first major for the day.

The Bombers, led by new captain Georgia Nanscawen and vice-captain Courtney Ugle, challenged the Saints across the ground but struggled to capitalise in front of goals.

The Saints came out firing after the first break, kicking a quick four unanswered goals to leave the Bombers goalless at the main break.

Cecilia McIntosh was vital throughout the first half, throwing herself into contests and applying much needed pressure on the Saints.

Cecilia-McIntosh.jpg

Cecilia McIntosh did her best to fire up the Bombers. (Photo: Celie Hay)

After a stirring half-time address from coach Brendan Major, the Bombers ran out with a change of mindset and were lively early.

They hit the board quickly with forward Alex Quigley scoring two majors within minutes of one another.

The team maintained consistent intensity and pressure throughout the third term to keep the Saints scoreless, with Alex Morcom strong across the backline and Kendra Heil supporting Nanscawen in midfield.

A fourth-quarter position change from midfield to forward for Alana Barba resulted in the Bombers’ third goal of the day, with McIntosh hitting the scoreboard shortly after.

Alana-Barba.jpg

Alana Barba (middle) celebrates her fourth-quarter goal. (Photo: Celie Hay)

But the Saints quickly replied with two late final-quarter goals to seal the 18-point win.

Nanscawen was disappointed in her side’s first half, but said there were plenty of positives to come out of the game.

“It’s disappointing to not get off to a great start. Throughout the first half, we were really on the back foot, and as a result we dropped our heads a bit too much,” Nanscawen said.

“In the second half, we were a lot more proactive and played the game on our terms a bit more. There certainly were lots of encouraging signs, but we need to tidy up that (attitude) as it wasn’t a great course to drop our heads, so we need to be better with that.”

Nanscawen attributed the strong second half to a change in attitude and the increase of pressure applied to the Saints.

“In the second half, we had the confidence that we could play our game and we were a lot more proactive, particularly around the stoppages,” she said.

“In the first half, we didn’t man up very well, so we really tidied that up and played the game more on our terms.”

Nanscawen said she was “incredibly excited” to see the future of women’s football after the NEC Hangar hosted its first VFLW game today, with the players using their new facilities for the first time.

“We are very lucky to have these facilities and we can feel very proud that when people come here that they can marvel at what we have. I certainly feel very proud to be a part of a historic day to play the first official match here," she said.

“I can’t wait to hopefully sing the song here in not too long a time."

The VFLW Bombers will now look forward to round two against Casey Demons at Casey Fields at 10am on Saturday, March 6.

Essendon 0.2 0.4 2.4 4.5 (29)
Southern Saints 1.2 5.4 5.4 7.5 (47)

Goals: Quigley 2, Barba, McIntosh

Best: Ugle, McIntosh, Frew, Barba, Heil, Morcom

They appear to have 2 games a week broadcast on the leagues YouTube channel. This week it was the Carlton game on Saturday and the Derabin game on the Sunday

When the skills and cohesion improve, the quality will and the scores will be greater. It will happen. I don't mind watching the women's games at all, but I'm not an active follower yet.
Yeah same. The AFLW has been good this year, not that I've seen much of it. I'm not someone who watches a lot of neutral footy, unless it's a top of the table clash or where the outcome affects us.

I have the VFLW club membership add-on though, for whatever that is worth. Used to be better value, you pay like $30 and you'd get merch, support the VFLW team and option to be an inaugural AFLW member when we get a team. The merch was actually good too. But as with everything it's been cut back now, and there's no merch, so it's essentially just a donation to the club "for the VFLW" (although I'm sure it just goes into the same pool of money as everything else).

If there was at least live-scores or a live-stream it would be easier to actually follow it...

Yeah same. The AFLW has been good this year, not that I've seen much of it. I'm not someone who watches a lot of neutral footy, unless it's a top of the table clash or where the outcome affects us.

I have the VFLW club membership add-on though, for whatever that is worth. Used to be better value, you pay like $30 and you'd get merch, support the VFLW team and option to be an inaugural AFLW member when we get a team. The merch was actually good too. But as with everything it's been cut back now, and there's no merch, so it's essentially just a donation to the club "for the VFLW" (although I'm sure it just goes into the same pool of money as everything else).

If there was at least live-scores or a live-stream it would be easier to actually follow it...

I'm suffering merch-withdrawal from the AFL membership decision. Let alone a double hit. When I start feeling compelled to watch the women's game it will be time to look into membership. As it is, not living in Victoria means even going to the men's games in Sydney is a special occasion. Essentially, I have to convince my other half that it's a good thing to spend money on once a year, so this year's 'donation' isn't sitting well.

You're right about publicity. If they want to build it they definitely need better coverage of some sort. I would have watched.

I'm suffering merch-withdrawal from the AFL membership decision. Let alone a double hit. When I start feeling compelled to watch the women's game it will be time to look into membership. As it is, not living in Victoria means even going to the men's games in Sydney is a special occasion. Essentially, I have to convince my other half that it's a good thing to spend money on once a year, so this year's 'donation' isn't sitting well.

You're right about publicity. If they want to build it they definitely need better coverage of some sort. I would have watched.
Yeah apparently there is a member scarf but it's only for milestone members. I would've thought if they're manufacturing it anyway they could've made them available on the bombershop or the membership website for those of us who want one 🙄 ditto the beanie and the cap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back