SFCollingwood (A)12pm, Saturday, July 10Victoria ParkLOSS: Match Report
PFGeelong (H)12pm, Saturday, July 31Windy HillLOSS: Match Report

Last edited:

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Yeah apparently there is a member scarf but it's only for milestone members. I would've thought if they're manufacturing it anyway they could've made them available on the bombershop or the membership website for those of us who want one 🙄 ditto the beanie and the cap.
The voucher helps the membership situation, at least for those who are eligible for it. I understand the idea of a better quality pack every 5 years. But I would hope it is of an outstanding quality and something really special. I'm sure they would get a couple of sales if they were selling them openly to the members.

The voucher helps the membership situation, at least for those who are eligible for it. I understand the idea of a better quality pack every 5 years. But I would hope it is of an outstanding quality and something really special. I'm sure they would get a couple of sales if they were selling them openly to the members.
Someone was saying a five year member got a member beanie, member cap and member scarf, along with the lanyard and whatever that we used to get.

I have a voucher but there isn't much to choose from, especially if you're female 😛 Like do I want a singular wine glass and coaster for $20, or perhaps a pair of Conor McKenna socks? 🤔🤔🤔

R2: 9 point win over Casey Demons
VFLW Bombers claim first win of 2021
Essendon has claimed its first win of the 2021 VFLW season with a nine-point victory over the Casey Demons on Saturday.

In still conditions at Casey Fields, the Bombers held off a fast-finishing Casey to record the 4.7 (31) to 3.4 (22) win.

The Bombers applied the pressure early with Cecilia McIntosh laying strong tackles on her Casey opponents.

Consistent scoreboard pressure put the Demons’ backline under the pump, with the Bombers having five shots at goals in the first quarter but only managing to convert one through Felicity Theodore.

The Demons finally hit the scoreboard early in the second quarter, only for the Bombers to quickly answer with a goal from Alana Barba.

Ruck duo Lori Stepnell and Eleanor Cornish combined to combat the height of their opponents, while Eloise Gardner was strong in defence, cutting off repeat forward entry attempts.

Both teams came out firing after half-time with Casey hitting the scoreboard within the opening minutes. After some back and forth, the Bombers were finally able to break the pressure of the Demons with an on-the-run goal from Federica Frew.

Emotions were high in the final term as the contest tightened up, with the Demons scoring early in the quarter to get within three points.

Mia-Rae Clifford steadied the Bombers, taking a strong contested mark directly in front of goal and converting with ease.

Alex Morcom felt the consequences of a heavy tackle in the second quarter but managed to play through the pain to be named best on the ground.

Grace Dicker and Tamsin Crook were also impressive in their debuts.

Head coach Brendan Major attributed the win to his side’s ability to remain accountable and focused after a disappointing round one loss to the Southern Saints.

“I think our players were really accountable. They took it on themselves to make sure that we didn't just let players run through, so that was fantastic to see,” Major said.

“We respected the opposition, we closed that space down, we made sure that we didn't give them too much space. I think that as a group, we're jelling a little bit better together, so we're getting it, we're understanding the strengths and weaknesses of each player. That always takes time, you can't replace experience.”

The experienced McIntosh impressed Major with her professionalism and leadership, while Barba continued to impress in her new role as a forward.

“From week one, Cecilia McIntosh showed the professional that she is, and she did it again today,” Major said.

“Alana Barba, who's being put into a forward position because of how dangerous she was in the first week, I thought she was really dangerous again.”

Looking towards round three, Major said as the team was inexperienced, the focus would be on reinforcing their own individual style and continuing to develop as a team.

“We always bring it back to the things that we're trying to work on - that's core to us and our way. We're just trying to reinforce our style. So we don't reinvent the wheel, we don't change much from week to week,” he said.

“We're a developing group and we've only played two games and we've got a lot of developing to do.”

The VFLW Bombers will return home to the NEC Hangar in round three to take on Hawthorn at 11am on Saturday, March 13.

Casey 0.0 1.4 2.4 3.4 (22)
Essendon 1.4 2.4 3.7 4.7 (31)

Goals: Theodore, Barba, Frew, Clifford

Best: Morcom, Davies, Stepnell, Mackay, Crook, McIntosh

Looks like the stream broke at half-time so there's a different link for the second half...

R3: Thrashed the Box Hill Hawks by 28
Essendon has recorded back-to-back VFLW wins and its first at the NEC Hangar with a 28-point victory over Hawthorn on Saturday.

In humid conditions, the Bombers had a strong first half to set themselves up for an 8.7 (55) to 3.9 (27) win against the Hawks.

The Hawks hit the board in the early minutes of the game with the Bombers quickly replying with goals from Federica Frew and Mia-Rae Clifford.

The Bombers didn’t give their opponents any space in the second quarter, with the pressure resulting in four unanswered goals including two majors from Natalie MacDonald.

Debutant Elizabeth Snell, who came up from the Bendigo Pioneers’ under-18 side, showed her skills through midfield, providing solid support for Courtney Ugle and Georgia Nanscawen.

After heading into the main break with a 31-point lead, the Bombers extended their lead with an early third-quarter goal from Frew.

The Hawks lifted their intensity, however, locking the ball in their half for the majority of the third term, but were unable to capitalise against an Alex Morcom-led Bomber backline.

The Hawks dominated the play throughout the final term, managing to hit the scoreboard for multiple majors for the time since the opening quarter.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Clifford was rewarded a free kick directly in front of goal, converting her third major to seal the win for Essendon.

Leadership group member Eloise Ashley-Cooper saw today’s game as a “stepping stone for the future”, with many younger team members stepping up.

“It was really a team effort. I think everyone played their role, but in particular Tamsin (Crook) was awesome down back and Snell (Elizabeth Snell) was phenomenal coming in for her first game,” Ashley-Cooper said.

“We’ve been working towards our vision for a very long time, and I think we implemented some of the things we have been working on at training.”

As the team is young and continues to develop, Ashley-Cooper said the Bombers’ focus for the match was to continue establishing their own style of play and consistently implementing it.

“Today we just wanted to play a brand of footy that we are proud of,” she said.

“We have been working towards a vision for a very long time and I think we just wanted to implement what we have been working on at training.”

The 20-year-old felt the team was a lot more composed with the ball, but could see areas for improvement heading into the round four clash with Darebin.

“I think we just stuck to our structures more and were more composed with the ball. We had clear intentions and played a selfless game of footy,” Ashley-Cooper said.

“There were some times we didn’t achieve or play as we wanted but I think that is all in the learnings.”

The Bombers will hope to carry the momentum from their back-to-back wins into their round four clash against Darebin next Sunday from 10:30 am at the NEC Hangar.

Essendon 2.3 6.5 7.6 8.7 (55)
Hawthorn 1.1 1.4 1.7 3.9 (27)

Goals: Clifford 3, MacDonald 2, Frew 2, Theodore

Best: MacDonald, Ashley-Cooper, Snell, Morcom, Clifford, Barba

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Will be good to see how we play against the aflw aligned teams.

acm21

Club Legend
May 7, 2019
AFL Club
Essendon
Confidence of the side must be building. Darebin traditionally a very good side.
Traditionally yes, but haven't been the same side since the reorganisation of the competition. They lost a lot of key players, and a lot of the clubs players decided/were forced to move to aflw aligned programs. Haven't really recovered since.

Hopefully this win will give them confidence to beat the likes of Port.

Back