12North Melbourne (H)10am, Saturday, May 22Windy Hillpostponed/abandoned
13Darebin (A)12pm, Saturday, May 29Bill Lawry Ovalpostponed/abandoned
14Williamstown (A)1pm, Saturday, June 19Downer OvalWIN: Match Report
15Darebin (A)12pm, Saturday, June 26Bill Lawry OvalWIN: Match Report
EFCasey Demons (A)12pm, Saturday, July 3Casey FieldsWIN: Match Report
SFCollingwood (A)12pm, Saturday, July 10Victoria ParkLOSS: Match Report
PFGeelong (H)12pm, Saturday, July 31Windy HillLOSS: Match Report

Last edited:
Katie Lio (Essendon VFLW President) is amazing. :)

So we have WARF radio stream for the weekend, which apparently starts at 10am but the game is 11am at Windy Hill (Saturday).

Then Round 10 is Geelong @ Deakin on the 8th but unconfirmed and no time yet.

Bit annoying that the fixtures aren't locked in even two weeks in advance 😒

Katie Lio (Essendon VFLW President) is amazing. :)

So we have WARF radio stream for the weekend, which apparently starts at 10am but the game is 11am at Windy Hill (Saturday).

Then Round 10 is Geelong @ Deakin on the 8th but unconfirmed and no time yet.

Bit annoying that the fixtures aren't locked in even two weeks in advance 😒

Floating fixtures can get stuffed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentary team was talking us up for finals footy 😁

Not sure where we are on the ladder but our percentage is now somewhere around 172 I think, and we could be as high as 4th or even 3rd depending on the results of other games, having been 5th after round 8:

Not sure where we are on the ladder but our percentage is now somewhere around 172 I think, and we could be as high as 4th or even 3rd depending on the results of other games, having been 5th after round 8:

AFLW licence plz.

Getting to the prelim would be a great achievement. Haven't achieved vflw fianls yet, but apparently looks likely at the moment.

We'd want to be up around the mark to truly justify an AFL licence. Seems like the team is on the right track and doing their part. Hopefully see some more promotion of them from the club.

We'd want to be up around the mark to truly justify an AFL licence. Seems like the team is on the right track and doing their part. Hopefully see some more promotion of them from the club.
I dont think it’s that relevant to an AFLW license. Like it helps to show that you can run a successful program, but you can run a successful men’s team if you’re just trying to demonstrate the administrative capacity for team building.

If we do get one we’re still going to have a VFLW team, and our AFLW team will be a new squad drafted the same as every other team that has joined (with about 35 draft picks).

We may or may not promote our VFLW coaches to run the AFLW program, and some of our VFLW players may come with us, but they might not too. (I suspect at least some aren’t putting their hands up for the AFLW draft because they only want to play for us- wasn’t that a thing Michaela Long said a while ago?)

We have more going for us now than any of the inaugural teams at that time. So if we don’t get one now it’s not our facilities being sub-standard or our VFLW performance, it’s either because HQ don’t want us to have one, or because the league doesn’t have enough time and talent to have more teams.

It’s a credit to our team that they’re holding up against clubs that have a lot of AFLW players returning to their ranks, though at the same time, those clubs find it a bit disruptive because the AFLW players haven’t necessarily trained their systems and strategies for a while.

I have only vaguely been following the women's results but I know we're doing well. The fitness and conditioning staff would have work to do. As we are we don't look anywhere near as physically conditioned as the AFLW sides, who are looking stronger with every season. Well, from what I've seen anyway.

I dont think it’s that relevant to an AFLW license. Like it helps to show that you can run a successful program, but you can run a successful men’s team if you’re just trying to demonstrate the administrative capacity for team building.

If we do get one we’re still going to have a VFLW team, and our AFLW team will be a new squad drafted the same as every other team that has joined (with about 35 draft picks).

We may or may not promote our VFLW coaches to run the AFLW program, and some of our VFLW players may come with us, but they might not too. (I suspect at least some aren’t putting their hands up for the AFLW draft because they only want to play for us- wasn’t that a thing Michaela Long said a while ago?)

We have more going for us now than any of the inaugural teams at that time. So if we don’t get one now it’s not our facilities being sub-standard or our VFLW performance, it’s either because HQ don’t want us to have one, or because the league doesn’t have enough time and talent to have more teams.

It’s a credit to our team that they’re holding up against clubs that have a lot of AFLW players returning to their ranks, though at the same time, those clubs find it a bit disruptive because the AFLW players haven’t necessarily trained their systems and strategies for a while.
Like I said, we need the women's team to be up and around the mark...

R9: Gave the Blues a 53 point thrashing!
VFLW Bombers dominant at Windy Hill
Essendon records a commanding 53-point VFLW win over Carlton at Windy Hill.
By Celie Hay - 20 hrs ago
Natalie-MacDonald.jpg

Windy Hill has hosted its first VFLW game of the season as Essendon claimed a commanding 53-point win over Carlton on Saturday.

The returns of captain Georgia Nanscawen and Ruby Svarc, who played the 2021 AFLW season with the Brisbane Lions, helped the Bombers return to the winners list with a 10.12 (72) to 3.1 (19) victory.

The Blues started quickly with the opening goal, but after some back and forth, the Bombers hit the board with Federica Frew converting from a set shot.

A strong contested mark from Simone Nalder turned momentum the Bombers’ way, resulting in Frew snapping her second goal.

Nanscawen, who returned to the side after suffering a calf injury against Hawthorn in round six, quickly resumed her role in the midfield with a best-on-ground performance, fighting hard to extract the ball from contests.

The Bombers continued to control the play in the second quarter and extended their lead with a goal from Natalie MacDonald.

Soon after, defender Tamsin Crook was awarded a 50-metre penalty and converted for her first goal as a Bomber.

Tamsin-Crook

Tamsin Crook celebrates a goal with Mia-Rae Clifford (L) and Federica Frew (R). (Photo: Celie Hay)

The Blues fought hard to end the Bombers’ run of goals with their second major, but Frew quickly answered, snapping her third major with the Bombers regaining control.

It was a day for defenders kicking goals, with Kendra Heil floating forward to snap her first goal of the season, giving the Bombers a 33-point lead at half-time.

After the half-time break, the Blues’ spirit lifted and the Bombers had to work hard to keep possession of the ball.

Svarc’s speed on the wing helped the Bombers transition the ball from defence, but they struggled to capitalise on their forward entries.

After a goalless third term, the Blues opened the final quarter with intent, hitting the board in the opening minute, only for the Bombers to reply with Mia-Rae Clifford converting from a free-kick.

The goals kept coming for the Bombers through Svarc and Jessie Davies, but Lori Stepnell sealed the 53-point win for the Bombers with a late major.

Svarc, who returned to the side for the first time since 2019, was rapt with the standard of football the Bombers played and the club’s team-first attitude.

“The girls were pretty amazing today. We set up really well, held our structures and our forwards were amazing with their leads,” Svarc said.

“They all play for each other really well, so everyone plays their role and that’s how we got the win today.”

Ruby-Svarc.jpg

Ruby Svarc was welcomed back into the Bombers' line-up after an AFLW season with Brisbane. (Photo: Celie Hay)

The Bombers’ forward line impressed the Brisbane Lions player, with Frew’s three-goal haul a standout.

“‘Fede’ (Federica) Frew, how good was she today? A couple of her marks were spectacular and she’s really strong on the body. But there’s also a lot of younger girls coming through as well, so it’s really great to see them out there,” Svarc said.

“Same as Mia (Clifford), I haven’t played with her before so to see her play was amazing.”

Saturday’s warm weather helped Svarc feel at home with the 27-year-old embracing the opportunity to use the VFLW season to work on personal goals ahead of the next AFLW season.

“I’ll just be working on the same goals I had up in Brisbane, so it’s amazing to get more game time to just work on those things,” Svarc said.

“I’m working on just being really clean with the ball and driving out of the contest using my speed.”

The Bombers will hope to carry their winning form into round 10 when they head down the highway to face Geelong at Deakin University Oval on Saturday.

ESSENDON 2.4 6.9 6.11 10.12 (72)
CARLTON 1.0 2.0 2.1 3.1 (19)

Goals: Frew 3, MacDonald, Crook, Heil, Clifford, Svarc, Davies, Stepnell
Best: Nanscawen, Hosking, Frew, Svarc, Davies, Nalder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back