15Darebin (A)12pm, Saturday, June 26Bill Lawry OvalWIN: Match Report
EFCasey Demons (A)12pm, Saturday, July 3Casey FieldsWIN: Match Report
SFCollingwood (A)12pm, Saturday, July 10Victoria ParkLOSS: Match Report
PFGeelong (H)12pm, Saturday, July 31Windy HillLOSS: Match Report

Last edited:
EF: Win over Casey Demons!
Match Report for our Finals Win 😁

Bombers advance to VFLW semis
The VFLW Bombers make history with a thrilling victory in their first-ever final.

Natalie-MacDonald.jpg

The VFLW Bombers embrace after a famous victory. (Photo: Celie Hay)

The VFLW Bombers have held off a fast-finishing Casey Demons in its first-ever VFLW final to celebrate a three-point victory at Casey Fields on Saturday.

The windy conditions dictated the game, but Essendon made the most of the goal-scoring end to claim a 5.5 (35) to 5.2 (32) elimination final win and advance to the semi-finals.

Casey started strongly with the opening goal, but the Bombers kept up the intensity and locked the ball in their forward half.

Kicking against the wind, the Bombers struggled to convert but controlled the play and applied strong pressure to their opponents through strong tackles from Georgia Nanscawen and Courtney Ugle.

A determined Bombers outfit returned after the first break, with Georgie Prespakis and Alana Barba using their clean skills through the midfield to move the ball up forward.

Goals to Barba and Elizabeth Hosking sparked the Bombers’ enthusiasm, with the momentum turning their way.

Mia-Rae Clifford’s AFLW experience was evident as she took strong marks to set up her teammates while also providing great leadership.

Courtney-Ugle.jpg

Making history: The VFLW Bombers run out for their first-ever final. (Photo: Celie Hay)

An on-the-run goal to Jessie Davies followed by a set-shot major to Tara Slender gave the Bombers a 23-point lead at half-time.

But the Demons came out firing after the main break, utilising the wind to kick three consecutive goals.

Tamsin Crook and Cecilia McIntosh fought hard across the backline to stop the Demons from taking the lead, while Ruby Svarc used her speed to chase down her opponents and cause turnovers.

Heading into the final term, Essendon’s lead had been cut back to four points and the momentum sat with the Demons.

Casey carried its energy from its comeback into the last quarter and took the lead with an early goal.

It took until the final minutes for Essendon to hit the board again, with Lauren Ahrens awarded a 50-metre penalty and a direct shot at goal.

After Ahrens converted to give the Bombers a three-point lead, the home team fought hard to get the ball towards its forward line, but Essendon’s defence stood strong.

Lauren-Ahrens.jpg

Lauren Ahrens is surrounded after her match-winning goal. (Photo: Celie Hay)

There was elation on the final siren, with the Bombers’ players running from everywhere to celebrate their maiden VFLW finals win.

Full-time-VFLW.jpg

There were jubilant scenes as the final siren sounded at Casey Fields. (Photo: Celie Hay)

First finals win
Both sides made their VFLW finals debut on Saturday, but it was the Bombers who came out victorious.

For Clifford, who was best on ground for the Bombers, the win was a reward for the persistence and hard work that everyone involved in the VFLW program had contributed since the team's inception in 2018.

“It’s just amazing. I think the girls played with their hearts on their sleeves today and that’s what we wanted to do - play the Bomber way. We’re so excited and happy,” Clifford said.

“Everyone is running and screaming around, but the work rate was there and we’re just so stoked to come home with the four points after all the hard work we’ve been doing.”

Determination until the final siren
After a ruthless second quarter, the Bombers had to fight against the wind to keep their strong lead.

Casey managed to capitalise on the strong conditions during the third term but Clifford said it was the Bombers’ grit and attitude that helped them overcome the Demons’ response.

“We always prepare for anything here at Casey. We just went man on, run, back our speed. We have a lot of young quicks and some old quicks,” Clifford said.

“We just had to be hungry for the ball and fight the whole way until that final siren, and I think we really showed that when the wind was against us.”

At three-quarter time when the game was in the balance, Clifford said the Bombers remained confident in their abilities and didn’t drop their heads.

“I think we were expecting them to come out firing. They’re a great side and they’ve had a great year so we knew they were going to bring the heat in that third quarter and we just had to ride it,” Clifford said.

“I think we actually did really well even though we conceded a few goals. I think the way we stood up and pressured, we didn’t allow them to have too much flow so I think we just had to hold our ground and just fight.”

Cecilia-McIntosh.jpg

Veteran Cecilia McIntosh couldn't contain her excitement. (Photo: Celie Hay)

Balanced team

With five NAB League players lining up for the Bombers in Saturday’s elimination final, Clifford believes that despite having a young team, the leadership of the more experienced players helped keep the team composed in the dying moments of the game.

“I think we have a great combo to be honest. I think the young ones are there as well but we have the middle-age group with those level heads like Ahrens and ‘Morcs’ (Alex Morcom), ‘G’ (Georgia Nanscawen) in the mid and ‘Ugez’ (Courtney Ugle),” Clifford said.

“Then you have these young spritely ones running around, so I think we have a great balance of maturity and youth.”

Prespakis was one NAB League player who stood out to Clifford, with the 18-year-old demonstrating her maturity and ability to be clean around the ball at the next level.

“Definitely Prespakis today, she’s only in her third game in senior women’s footy and she’s just gone up and up and up,” Clifford said.

“The way she just darts around people, and her body and the way she uses it is just amazing, so I can’t wait to see her future and I’m so glad I get the opportunity to play alongside her now.”

The VFLW Bombers will continue their maiden finals series when they compete in a semi-final next weekend, with their opponent dependent on other results.

CASEY 1.0 1.0 4.1 5.2 (32)
ESSENDON 0.3 4.5 4.5 5.5 (35)

Goals: Barba, Hosking, Davies, Slender, Ahrens
Best: Clifford, Prespakis, McIntosh, Svarc, Crook

Interview with Mia-Rae Clifford:

So we have two cracks now at making the GF?
So we play Collingwood this week? Such a weird system.
Yep! It's kind of weird but it makes sense when you're playing finals with only 6 teams. The alternative I guess is that 1st and 2nd get a week off in Week 1 and they cut the prelim out altogether.

Yep! It's kind of weird but it makes sense when you're playing finals with only 6 teams. The alternative I guess is that 1st and 2nd get a week off in Week 1 and they cut the prelim out altogether.
It's the final six system the AFL dumped for a final 8 I think. It's how in 93 we went from a Qualifying final against Carlton to knock out finals against West Coast and Adelaide.

AFL website will have a video stream from 12pm with Julia Montesano and Sarah Black.

Our WARF Radio call team will be live from 11am with Pre-Game, including an interview with both coaches. That's on WARFRadio.com and if you bring your radio to the ground, you can hear the call delay free on 89.1FM.

Per above, the semi-final streams:

Video starts at midday:
Radio, pre-game starts at 11am:

I’ve put them in the sticky as well 😊

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back