VFLW VFLW 2022 Season mega-thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the stats, it seems Laura Gardiner had a massive game with 37 possessions and 3 tackles, clearly the most disposals on the ground. Next best were Maddie Boyd and Paige Sheppard with 22 each. However, half the side had less than 10 possessions each, with 6 of those having less than 5.
Love seeing Laura putting some big games together. Was expecting more from her at AFLW level this season. Hopefully she can back this up off the short break and be a more influential player for the AFLW Cats later in the year.

View attachment 1388076

Thats it. Thats the post.
Think you're being a little hard on her here. I get that we all love to see players converting in front of goal. But I would have thought leather poisoning might be a semi-valid explanation for those two missed shots at goal.

:cool:

Seriously, though, loving the way Laura is upping her game at the moment. We certainly need to see more from our mids in the AFLW, so this apparent development in her output is very heartening.

Interesting thing is Laura Gardiner has played the least amount of games of the players on that list (6). The two girls above her have played 10 and 8 games respectively.

Teams for North Melbourne v Geelong - VFLW Rd 11, Saturday 9:30am at Arden Street Oval

Live on WARFRadio.com from 8:30am (and 89.1FM at the ground) and from 9:30am on VFLW.TV

NORTH MELBOURNE
B17. J. Jones1. M. Eastman
HB18. A. Melnikas33. T. Bradley24. E. Macdonald
C2. J. Mourney28. P. King35. A. Smith
HF23. A. Scott44. B. Gibson26. T. Craven
F21. E. Paterno16. G. Nicholas
R22. E. McGrath42. E. Maurer4. A. Rhodes
INT15. S. Skinner3. H. Ibrahim19. L. Wright
39. G. Alomes12. R. Hicks
EMG25. L. Loughnane10. C. Fitzgerald29. T. Moss
INS33. T. Bradley4. A. Rhodes19. L. Wright
39. G. Alomes28. P. King
OUTS7. B. Slaney37. J. Blair36. A. Bissett
6. A. O'Loughlin10. C. Fitzgerald

GEELONG CATS
B38.M.Boyd57. L.Dowling
HB58.B.Beckley48.M.Van Dyke44. M.Bragg
C29. C.Remmos35. I.Hill18. L.Gardiner
HF7.M.Maguire34. M.Skinner66.K.Stacey
F14.C.Scheer67.K.Hardingham
R1. R.Caris36.S.DeGiacomi10. G.Rankin
INT43. S.Dinneen33. E.Ramsay49.A McKeegan
65. A.McKee39. A.Haigh
EMG54. B.Wells59. K. Scoullar51.R.Cox
INS10. G. Rankin57. L.Dowling7. M.Maguire
39. A.Haigh67. K.Hardingham
OUTS42. E.Coventry37. C.Leonard55. P.Sheppard
40. T.Smith

Down some of our prime movers this weekend. Will be interesting to see how the team goes in their absence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Laura Gardiner watch - after 49 possessions last week, she's currently on 16 eight minutes into the 2nd quarter...

Love the commentary..."Gardiner kicks out on the full. That's her first mistake in about 5 weeks"

Caris has been doing pretty well today (from what I've watched & been listening to)

Not sure if she's going to be a late bloomer & take a bit longer to come into her own, or if VFLW level is more going to be where she gets the best from herself, but it's good to see

Disappointing game from Gardiner. Didn't catch any of it, but she was clearly off the boil if she only picked up a lazy 38 possessions.

I know it's only a still photo, but I do like the look of the technique captured in this shot

Scheer is one of the most natural footballers in the entire comp. Just looks like she's been playing the game since her very youngest days. If she ever gets incredibly fit, look out...

Happy to see Caris in the votes... But some interesting votes

Gardiner & Rankin only players to get votes from both coaches

Caris BOG with one coach but nothing from the other
Gardiner BOG for the other coach, though she did sneak in a single vote

North Melbourne 1.8 (14) lost to Geelong 6.5 (41)
Georgie Rankin (Gee)
6 Laura Gardiner (Gee)
5 Rene Caris (Gee)
3 Breanna Beckley (Gee)
3 Chloe Scheer (Gee)
2 Molly Eastman (NM)
2 Brittany Gibson (NM)
1 Annabel Scott (NM)

Changes for this week:

IN: E Coventry, C Leonard, P Scott, K Scoullar (debut), P Sheppard, C Simpson (debut)
OUT: L Gardiner (leather poisoning), G Rankin (managed), M Boyd (unavailable), K Hardingham, A McKeegan, K Stacey (omit)
DEBUT: Kalani Scoullar, 18, GWV Rebels; Charlotte Simpson, 18, Geelong Falcons

With two debuts in this match, we've debuted 22 players thus far this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back