Autopsy VFLW Qualifying Final, 2019: Collingwood v Southern Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've posted this in the AFLW forum but to give the girls a bit more exposure I will leave this here. Plus, it's a final!

FREE ENTRY for those that would like to attend - I think it will be a great game.

1st placed Collingwood earning a home qualifying final at Victoria Park after producing back-to-back minor premierships. Collingwood will be joined in the new top six finals format by Southern Saints, Western Bulldogs, Richmond, Geelong and Melbourne Uni. New AFL Women’s sides St Kilda (Southern Saints) and Richmond will both feature in the VFL Women’s finals for the first time, after finishing eighth and twelfth respectively in their inaugural seasons last year. This year the Saints finished 2nd with an 11-2 record.

The winner of this Saturday's game will play the winner of (3) Western Bulldogs v (4) Richmond, while the loser will get the double chance and play the winner of (5) Melbourne Uni v (6) Geelong

Last time the two teams played was all the way back in Round 1, when the Saints kept the Magpies scoreless in the opening half to run away with a comprehensive 35 point win.

RyFahIe.png

Here is the finals bracket;

ECzsnmwUwAEOfMM.jpg:large

Here is the final ladder for the 2019 VFLW season;

OxFjPMo.png

What's with the complete lack of attention, build up or recognition of the vflw team on both the main St Kilda Twitter account and the StKildaFCW one?

Its been poor all year, not sure why I was expecting today to be a bit better?

What's with the complete lack of attention, build up or recognition of the vflw team on both the main St Kilda Twitter account and the StKildaFCW one?

Its been poor all year, not sure why I was expecting today to be a bit better?
Agreed. I reckon we get better coverage of the womens team on this forum than we do anywhere else, lol.

Anyway - Collingwood defeated St.Kilda by 15 points. With Melbourne Uni defeating Geelong, next weeks fixture is as follows;

1st Semi Final: Collingwood v Western Bulldogs/Richmond at North Port Oval - winner goes through to the Grand Final. Loser will play Southern Saints or Melbourne Uni in the Preliminary final.

2nd Semi Final: Southern Saints v Melbourne Uni at North Port Oval - winner goes through to the Preliminary final.

What’s the deal with how low the scores are? Are the games nowhere near as long or is there something I’m missing (not having a go at it, been away since women’s footy has really taken off so genuinely curious about the low-scoring and feel I must be missing a rule modification or something)?

What’s the deal with how low the scores are? Are the games nowhere near as long or is there something I’m missing (not having a go at it, been away since women’s footy has really taken off so genuinely curious about the low-scoring and feel I must be missing a rule modification or something)?
Just a very scrappy game in general. Quarters are capped at 20 minutes and umpires don't have the ability to stop the clock.

Similar to mens football, once it is locked in an area of the ground it takes a while for the ball to move to either end of the ground. Congestion and lack of skill/ability to hit a target makes it tough to move the ball freely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back