Vic Bias - AFL Website

Remove this Banner Ad

FreoFan85

Team Captain
Jun 29, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
I’ve become old well before my time... I’ve written a letter to the AFL twice and had my say on a few radio broadcasts but the fact is it still hasn’t changed. So now I’m going to rant to the internet.... I would love to hear from a few traditional vfl victorians on this matter.

Can someone please explain to me, why we have a category for the Morrish Medal for thebest TAC player ( a medal exclusive to victorians) but not have a medal category for the larke medal (the best under 18 in Australia) link above.

This is the type of crap that Victorian supporters (not all) don’t get. It isn’t the vfl anymore but the subconscious bias is always there....

Rant over :)

It is. it always will be. This is the hell that the leaders have created and can never get out of it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

For what it's worth, the league's latest annual report (which you can download from the AFL website) acknowledges the Larke medal, whilst the Morrish medal isn't mentioned and the only brief allusion to NAB League results occurs incidentally in the Commercial Operations section.

It is to be expected when over half the teams in the competition are from Victoria, the media will always pander to their dominant market.

Wait for the vic melts if Adel get pick 2.... all I have seen AFL website last 2 weeks is how he's not worth pick 2 and it's not happening

Everyone other than Adelaide supporters would melt if you got pick 2 for Brad Crouch and it wouldn't be for nothing either.

Nab league/TAC cup is run by the AFL, whereas there's not a equivelant competition in SA/WA for juniors (WAFL and SANFL run themselves).

Sure but I’m not after the wafl/sanfl etc leagues (this would be worthwhile as-well). Also nothing stopping them from including this whether it is theirs or not. I’m really after the larke medal which acknowledges all of Australia. I’m so shocked that it isn’t included.

Sure but I’m not after the wafl/sanfl etc leagues (this would be worthwhile as-well). Also nothing stopping them from including this whether it is theirs or not. I’m really after the larke medal which acknowledges all of Australia. I’m so shocked that it isn’t included.
I'm surprised as well. My first guess was because it's a 5 week thing and not a season long thing.

Claiming it's Vic Bias is a bit weird considering Victorians win just as often as not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By a similar logic you could mount an argument that the Gary Ayres medal (or even the player voted most influential in the State of Origin series when we had it) was a better indication than both the Brownlow and the Norm Smith.

Don't think you'll get many takers on that.

And how about the AFLCA best player and the AFLPA best player? Like the Gary Ayres, they don't get a mention either.

Like it or not, the TAC is far and away the top level of junior football in the country. So much so that it provides between 50 & 75% of all draftees. It's composite team has to be split into two to avoid the carnival being a joke.

Add players played out of position and teams slapped together with super basic structures for a handful of games.

Carnival performances are a poor guide at the best of times. The "do it all myself" player stands out

By a similar logic you could mount an argument that the Gary Ayres medal (or even the player voted most influential in the State of Origin series when we had it) was a better indication than both the Brownlow and the Norm Smith.

Don't think you'll get many takers on that.

And how about the AFLCA best player and the AFLPA best player? Like the Gary Ayres, they don't get a mention either.

Like it or not, the TAC is far and away the top level of junior football in the country. So much so that it provides between 50 & 75% of all draftees. It's composite team has to be split into two to avoid the carnival being a joke.

Add players played out of position and teams slapped together with super basic structures for a handful of games.

Carnival performances are a poor guide at the best of times. The "do it all myself" player stands out
Every player in the afl is eligible to win the norm smith or the Brownlow. Not every junior can win the TAC, however every junior can win the larke medal. So it is completely different.

I'm surprised as well. My first guess was because it's a 5 week thing and not a season long thing.

Claiming it's Vic Bias is a bit weird considering Victorians win just as often as not.
No problem who wins it. The matter is that you have isolated one state, but not included the whole country.

If a vic is to win it, then great. But why have categories on your website which have the majority of the country ineligible?If they must have it why can’t they have both? It is literally an extra link on their website 10 minutes of work. This is why it is bias.

I’ve become old well before my time... I’ve written a letter to the AFL twice and had my say on a few radio broadcasts but the fact is it still hasn’t changed. So now I’m going to rant to the internet.... I would love to hear from a few traditional vfl victorians on this matter.

Can someone please explain to me, why we have a category for the Morrish Medal for thebest TAC player ( a medal exclusive to victorians) but not have a medal category for the larke medal (the best under 18 in Australia) link above.

This is the type of crap that Victorian supporters (not all) don’t get. It isn’t the vfl anymore but the subconscious bias is always there....

The AFL is a rebranded VFL with a few interstate teams added to help pay the bills. When will interstaters finally realise it.

Wait for the vic melts if Adel get pick 2.... all I have seen AFL website last 2 weeks is how he's not worth pick 2 and it's not happening
Another club is rebuilding by the way...and to not care and hinder the other clubs (such as mine) by not letting them having the choice that they should have is embarrassing. Second last should have second choice but you do not understand that.

there's hope yet...

I’m more concerned that they’ve endorsed/allowed Damian Barrett to spend the last month using his platform on the league’s website to argue that one particular team doesn’t deserve band 1 free agency compensation, even if that is in line with the rules of the competition. But that’s just me.

It is to be expected when over half the teams in the competition are from Victoria, the media will always pander to their dominant market.
The year is 2020 not 2019
More than half the teams in the competition are from Queensland.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back