Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet the media were all for it when the number 1 draft pick wanted out of the Giants to the Bulldogs 1 year in.
The media smashed us then. Herald-Sun chief, Robbo called us a basket case (the irony is since then to now, his team is the basket case) they laughed and ridiculed us about that trade for years. Damien Barrett personally helped send Tom Boyd into retirement. If there is a ‘Vic media bias’ it’s for the ‘big clubs’ at the expense of the smaller ones. Look at last week “how bad was Essendon!” not how good we were hardly at all.

The media smashed us then. Herald-Sun chief, Robbo called us a basket case (the irony is since then to now, his team is the basket case) they laughed and ridiculed us about that trade for years. Damien Barrett personally helped send Tom Boyd into retirement. If there is a ‘Vic media bias’ it’s for the ‘big clubs’ at the expense of the smaller ones. Look at last week “how bad was Essendon!” not how good we were hardly at all.
You were a basket case at the time.

They did cheer on the trade of Boyd though.

Seems you did.
Us lonely West Aussies have always had "isolationist syndrome", its where we brag about how great we have it because we are so far away from the east coast while looking over the border to see whats happening over east just so we can complain about how people are forgetting about us.

When West Coast hit the scene it , it immediately diminished the popularity of the WAFL because the WAFL did not get an expansion club, the VFL did. This was primarily because of the money that came with a demographic that we could not match over here in the west......yet. West Coast went on to become a Powerhouse of a club to rival any big club in Melbourne in a relatively short amount of time. With on field success and off field business acumen generating frantic interest from locals, mostly because of the them vs us mentality we foster and not because we are forgotten about in the local Melbourne media

From the honest replies I've had so far it seems an us v vic mentality, and there's been explanations as to why - and your answer is no different. Fair enough

That to me is using a wc, freo or ade as a representative team for the sake of against vic. which for those teams that is not the purpose, not of HQ anyway.

This is a professional comp not a representative one.

And the same sentiment does not go the other way. Vic supporters by and large couldn't give a flying about beating wc or ade coz not vic - those fans just want flags for their club not for the sake of "shove up the interstaters"

Here's one.

Oh you got me. That one tweet sure did sink my ship.

Don't really see the problem with wanting super stars to not waste away at clubs that don't have the system to get the most out of them.

The proof is.

When ever a star player looks like leaving Victorian club you get the media saying they should stay and show loyalty etc.

When it's the other way around it's all about they should of left earlier to be on the "big stage"

Look at all the articles over Cogs any about him staying or in WA? Nope.

All about the Vic clubs.
Like when the national/Vicco media canned the Beams exit from Brisbane?
It goes both ways, there are positive/negative views on all clubs/situations from all sorts of different media.

You didn't read all my post, I asked why jump on to something brand new before you knew what it is?
So in your opinion we didn't know what the WCE's were, we didn't know they were a team from West Aust?
Just a quick question, have any of the vic teams needed handouts from the VFL/AFL since we joined?

Last edited:
The proof is.

When ever a star player looks like leaving Victorian club you get the media saying they should stay and show loyalty etc.

When it's the other way around it's all about they should of left earlier to be on the "big stage"

Look at all the articles over Cogs any about him staying or in WA? Nope.

All about the Vic clubs.
So true.
Dangerfield wants to go to geelong, yeah that's fair no probs thumbs up all round!
Kelly wants to go to WC...WTF...no, no, no, can't have that, just not on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the honest replies I've had so far it seems an us v vic mentality, and there's been explanations as to why - and your answer is no different. Fair enough

That to me is using a wc, freo or ade as a representative team for the sake of against vic. which for those teams that is not the purpose, not of HQ anyway.

This is a professional comp not a representative one.

And the same sentiment does not go the other way. Vic supporters by and large couldn't give a flying about beating wc or ade coz not vic - those fans just want flags for their club not for the sake of "shove up the interstaters"

Just to go on from your earlier post about touching a nerve. It really isn't. I'm a Port supporter. I'm explaining the formations of 2 teams, one of which I despise and the other at best I'm indifferent about. I'm just telling you how it happened and why.

Look at the formation of the Crows. Their whole business model was designed to promote them as South Australia's team. Essentially as a carry on from State Of Origin. You ask why/how people jumped off their SANFL team and onto the Crows. This is how it was facilitated. Marketing 101. State Colours, Crow Mascot, "The Pride of South Australia", Graham Cornes (successful SoO) coach, Kick a Vic, SA Chip on Shoulder etc. That's what they were and still pretty much are. It was a unifying tactic to get people on board.

West Coast Eagles were a bit different in their set up as the weren't as overtly WA State Team, but that is what they quickly became and West Australians are insanely parochial. Freo are a bit different. They started off more as club/suburban region team rather than a state representative team.

Just to go on from your earlier post about touching a nerve. It really isn't. I'm a Port supporter. I'm explaining the formations of 2 teams, one of which I despise and the other at best I'm indifferent about. I'm just telling you how it happened and why.

Look at the formation of the Crows. Their whole business model was designed to promote them as South Australia's team. Essentially as a carry on from State Of Origin. You ask why/how people jumped off their SANFL team and onto the Crows. This is how it was facilitated. Marketing 101. State Colours, Crow Mascot, "The Pride of South Australia", Graham Cornes (successful SoO) coach, Kick a Vic, SA Chip on Shoulder etc. That's what they were and still pretty much are. It was a unifying tactic to get people on board.

West Coast Eagles were a bit different in their set up as the weren't as overtly WA State Team, but that is what they quickly became and West Australians are insanely parochial. Freo are a bit different. They started off more as club/suburban region team rather than a state representative team.

Fair enough they are viewed as rep teams in a non rep team comp. Don't see why it's so important to one up on the vics if that was the true motive.

You don't see the bulk of vic supporters "just gotta beat wa and sa teams coz they're not vic" - nup. Most just want their team to flag, that's more important than anything else.

And if you & ade, wc and freo keep the blose, bomb outs, dorks, richscum from winning the cup then I'm on your side. Just like they were barracking for wc against us in the gf last year.

Not completly football related but I watched an historical documentary a while ago called colourizing Australia ,basiclly the premise was old black and white historical film shown in colour and a narrator giving an Australian history lesson .In this historical documentary all the happy laughing fun good healthy stuff in Australian history happened on the East Coast and when it came to anything negative like the white Australia policy the colourized film footage was from Western Australia and not mentioning WA didnt vote for it and wanted out and independance at the time.Same with the stolen generation all the colour footage of displaced indiginous kids was from the Spanish monestary town of New Norcia in WA,the narrator made a point of saying in WA,but never mentioned it was a national policy not a WA policy and the Spanish monks were good guys and made the best of what was put upon them.
My point being that East Coast bias is very real like casual racism and they dont even know they are doing it.
I was listening to abc radio and some Eastern stater had written a book. A book about Klaus *enferker or some campaigner the legendary Australian bush walker and the author of the book just casually says -when Klaus arrived he arrived from the Swiss alps in Perth and he was like oh my god dist is hell but then he moved to NSW and he was in heaven.Klaus didnt comment himsef coz he been dead many years.
But my point is East Coast bias and complete ignorance is very real.In WA we tend to have a reasonable knowledge of the East wereas people on the east coast have not much knowledge about the west.Americans for instance are known to have limited knowledge about other countries,Australian eastern staters have no idea imo.Anyway Im crappin on a bit.

It's all about viability or lack of it and let's be honest, you wouldn't have a clue if any of the teams had been bailed out/needed money to stay afloat and got it from the VFL or AFL.

IF you're talking about the viability of the WAFL (and or the VFL) at the time then I'd argue just about all of the 8 teams (wafl) had enough marketability to survive. Certainly more so if all those supporters stuck phat with em and denied this new wc team any supporter base.

But my point is East Coast bias and complete ignorance is very real.In WA we tend to have a reasonable knowledge of the East wereas people on the east coast have not much knowledge about the west.Americans for instance are known to have limited knowledge about other countries,Australian eastern staters have no idea imo.Anyway Im crappin on a bit.

You've just explained from a supporter point of view it's not bias it's inadvertent ignorance not intentional. The media probably yes because the bulk of the national footy media is made up of ex vfl / vic players.

And that's the issue especially on forums like BF. Non vic fans auto pilot attack vic fans for purely been vic where most aren't vic bias they just support their team.

And yeah you are.lol

One area it is noticeable is the draft media.

People like Callum Twomey have absolutely no clue about players outside Victoria yet they go overboard with over-rating players they know about like Petracca, Weitering, Boyd, Schache, Paddy McCartin etc.

Here is a list of some recent non-Victorian draftees who were pretty much ignored or under-rated by draft media:

Rozee
Naughton
Oscar Allen
Tim Kelly
Flyin Ryan
Lewis Young
Tim English
Quinton Narkle
Willie Rioli
McGovern x 2
Dom Sheed
Patrick Cripps
Aliir Aliir

Last edited:
Not completly football related but I watched an historical documentary a while ago called colourizing Australia ,basiclly the premise was old black and white historical film shown in colour and a narrator giving an Australian history lesson .In this historical documentary all the happy laughing fun good healthy stuff in Australian history happened on the East Coast and when it came to anything negative like the white Australia policy the colourized film footage was from Western Australia and not mentioning WA didnt vote for it and wanted out and independance at the time.Same with the stolen generation all the colour footage of displaced indiginous kids was from the Spanish monestary town of New Norcia in WA,the narrator made a point of saying in WA,but never mentioned it was a national policy not a WA policy and the Spanish monks were good guys and made the best of what was put upon them.
My point being that East Coast bias is very real like casual racism and they dont even know they are doing it.
I was listening to abc radio and some Eastern stater had written a book. A book about Klaus fu**enferker or some campaigner the legendary Australian bush walker and the author of the book just casually says -when Klaus arrived he arrived from the Swiss alps in Perth and he was like oh my god dist is hell but then he moved to NSW and he was in heaven.Klaus didnt comment himsef coz he been dead many years.
its football not a history lesson

Not sure what that has to do with above

Also compare two teams who have been awful the last 5 or so years in Brisbane and Carlton. I think Carlton would have gotten 10 times the coverage and media attention that Brisbane got. It is almost easy to forget that Brisbane and Gold Coast exist sometimes given how little the Victorian media talk about them.
This just shows a fundamental misunderstanding of how the media works.

They’re interesting in grabbing attention, not being fair to all teams. It’s the exact same as how they cover major events in Australia versus somewhere overseas.

Reality is nobody cares a great deal about the Suns. If they spent a heap of time talking about them it would be a waste of their time. Carlton has more fans than the Lions and are based in a massive footy city. They are of interest to a lot of people.

Just look at the way Melbourne has been covered this year. Gone from a prelim to 17th and haven’t been covered a great deal at all compared to if it happened to Collingwood for example. Why? Because they’re not as interesting to people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back