Vic bias and the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Exactly. The Fremantle miracle in 2013 was never pushed nearly as hard as the WB or Richmond or Collingwood or Melbourne dreams have been promoted.

Funny, eh?
Collingwood receives an absurd amount of media attention because of the size of their fans and how much everyone pays attention to them.

I would have thought it would be fairly obvious why Melbourne, Richmond and the Bulldogs stories received more attention than Freo’s.

The Bulldogs almost ceased to exist in the late 80s, had numerous prelim failures and hadn’t won a flag in half a century. They were the ultimate underdog story.

Richmond a sleeping giant who done nothing for decades.

Melbourne haven’t won a flag since the 50s.

Rightly or wrongly the media has a thing for history.

Collingwood receives an absurd amount of media attention because of the size of their fans and how much everyone pays attention to them.

I would have thought it would be fairly obvious why Melbourne, Richmond and the Bulldogs stories received more attention than Freo’s.

The Bulldogs almost ceased to exist in the late 80s, had numerous prelim failures and hadn’t won a flag in half a century. They were the ultimate underdog story.

Richmond a sleeping giant who done nothing for decades.

Melbourne haven’t won a flag since the 50s.

Rightly or wrongly the media has a thing for history.
So essentially every Victorian team has history and should receive more attention?

Because they're knobs.

I listen to SEN's morning show occasionally and since the GF on the weekend, Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have been doing some soul-searching about how and why they didn't have a good read on WC. They're sitting around scratching their heads and trying to figure out how they got blindsided. The best they could come up with was "they're in WA - we don't watch their games". Isn't that basically an admission of incompetence? Are you a Year 10 kid who tries to do his English exam without reading the book?

If people tipped against WC or didn't think they could win the flag, so be it. You make a prediction and you get it wrong. That's not the end of the world. s**t happens. But look at this rubbish from the Herald-Sun pre-season. It's true that WC fans can sometimes be over-sensitive and see bias where none exists. But surely this kind of parochialism is unnecessary and OTT. Same as when someone like Tony Jones said WC would be a "waste" should they make the GF. It's just unnecessarily biased. Is there not some modicum of balance or clarity required if you're positioning yourself as a semi-credible commentator?

43042964_274113676770892_2302967829256732672_n.png
Haha I can’t believe that .
That’s ridiculously biased/back slapping wank.
Certainly funny in hindsight tho!... almost makes me glad wc won the flag last year...almost😉

So essentially every Victorian team has history and should receive more attention?
That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying the media has a thing for history and clubs like Richmond, Melbourne and Western Bulldogs with their shortcomings in past decades made for good underdog stories.

Freo was a fairly new team that had played just a handful of finals.

The Victorian “underdog” teams were more interesting to the media because of their pasts. Lot more for them to talk about.

I thought all the stuff about Melbourne last year was over the top for whatever it’s worth. The media just largely ignored West Coast and I think it had a fair bit to do with them already winning 3 flags in a fairly short time period.

The Bulldogs and Richmond stuff I thought was justified. The Bulldogs history and their resilience to stay alive made for a great winning story. The Tigers likewise. Lot of people were interested in seeing if they could achieve long awaited success.

It’s the way the media works. It’s not exclusive to football.

Haha I can’t believe that .
That’s ridiculously biased/back slapping wank.
Certainly funny in hindsight tho!... almost makes me glad wc won the flag last year...almost😉
It’s tony jones. Ha ha. He is a bigger troll than brad Hardie and Kane Cornes combined. Don’t worry wa, u have our respect.

Because they're knobs.

I listen to SEN's morning show occasionally and since the GF on the weekend, Garry Lyon and Tim Watson have been doing some soul-searching about how and why they didn't have a good read on WC. They're sitting around scratching their heads and trying to figure out how they got blindsided. The best they could come up with was "they're in WA - we don't watch their games". Isn't that basically an admission of incompetence? Are you a Year 10 kid who tries to do his English exam without reading the book?

If people tipped against WC or didn't think they could win the flag, so be it. You make a prediction and you get it wrong. That's not the end of the world. s**t happens. But look at this rubbish from the Herald-Sun pre-season. It's true that WC fans can sometimes be over-sensitive and see bias where none exists. But surely this kind of parochialism is unnecessary and OTT. Same as when someone like Tony Jones said WC would be a "waste" should they make the GF. It's just unnecessarily biased. Is there not some modicum of balance or clarity required if you're positioning yourself as a semi-credible commentator?

43042964_274113676770892_2302967829256732672_n.png
Hold on, you've taken a small sample of idiots from Victoria and the Herald Sun.

Have you heard Tim Gossage? Whether it's Wildcats, Scorchers or any other WA team he is one of the most biased one eyed morons in the media. Many WA fans on this forum sound like him, it works both ways but you've only highlighted the one that suits your agenda.

Kane Cornes/ Ricciuto before and after the 17 GF?

With 10/18 teams in VIC, and the league originating as the VFL expansion, there will always be media bias in coverage, hype and attention. It's simply a numbers game.

VIC media will always favour VIC, but don't take the high horse and ignore every other state media and fans doing the same.

Last edited:
^^^^

There is a difference between Herald Sun / Ch 7 New Melbourne etc being biased and national football syndicated shows

The former is fine and is the same you get for local news in Adelaide and Perth too -I live in Melbourne and totally understand that I wont complain about the HS focusing on Vic clubs

But Fox Footy / Ch 7 / AFL360 / Footy Classified / The AFL itself should not be biased and they clearly are

Also Kane Cornes in 17 was hoping (and it came true) that Adelaide would choke so that's why he talked them up

As it was the whole GF preview that morning was a Ch 7 love fest with Richo and Mick Molloy

West Coast win the flag and Ch7 cut to Buckley in the coache's box over celebrating Eagles players

* off

Hold on, you've taken a small sample of idiots from Victoria and the Herald Sun.
Yeah, and I've said they're knobs.

Is there a part of my post you dispute?

Have you heard Tim Gossage? Whether it's Wildcats, Scorchers or any other WA team he is one of the most biased one eyed morons in the media. Many WA fans on this forum sound like him, it works both ways but you've only highlighted the one that suits your agenda.

Kane Cornes around the 17 GF?
Have I said anything one way or the other about whether they're knobs? Are you expecting me to spring to their defence?

What's my "agenda"?

With 10/18 teams in VIC, and the league originating as the VFL expansion, there will always be media bias in coverage, hype and attention. It's simply a numbers game.
If people are paid to be experts about a national competition, I'm not sure that argument stands up.

For the likes Garry Lyon and Tim Watson to get to the end of the season and say they were blindsided by WC because they're not in Victoria. I mean, that's not doing their job.

And Tony Jones's remark was just ridiculously over the top and parochial. Again, it's a national competition.

Just be sensible and credible without this ridiculously blinkered pro-Victorian slant on everything. It's unnecessary. And I don't think it reflects the views of the average Victorian supporter, who probably spends quite a bit of time watching interstate sides play over the course of a season. It's just a dumb media contrivance.

The HS cover is a perfect example. Are supporters of Victorian clubs really in that kind of solidarity with one another? I doubt it. I assume most Victorians would have been quite happy WC beat Collingwood. But nah, not according to the HS. There's a whole "Team Victoria" thing that no one else knows about!

VIC media will always favour VIC, but don't take the high horse and ignore every other state media and fans doing the same.
By all means start a thread criticising Tim Gossage.

Last edited:

Anyone ever heard of Kim Hagdorn? Forget the Goss, Haggers is unashamedly anti anything non WA. Probably the most biased and transparently insecure commentator in the country

Everyone in the media is biased toward their home state, how is this is a surprise? Being a Perth resident, everyone in the media from the newsreader to the weather girl is a home state cheerleader - do I blame them? No. Do I laugh at the obvious insecurity complexes? Hell yeah! Popcorn stuff!

Anyone ever heard of Kim Hagdorn? Forget the Goss, Haggers is unashamedly anti anything non WA. Probably the most biased and transparently insecure commentator in the country

Everyone in the media is biased toward their home state, how is this is a surprise? Being a Perth resident, everyone in the media from the newsreader to the weather girl is a home state cheerleader - do I blame them? No. Do I laugh at the obvious insecurity complexes? Hell yeah! Popcorn stuff!
Except he is considered a joke by everyone over here as well, you are extremely disingenuous.

I'd be surprised if anybody outside WA knows who Kim Hagdorn is. I certainly didn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok. Are you expecting people to defend him?

If you are paid to watch and analyse a national competition, you can't simply plead ignorance about 8 of the 18 teams. That's incompetence.

Yeah, and I've said they're knobs.

Is there a part of my post you dispute?

Have I said anything one way or the other about whether they're knobs? Are you expecting me to spring to their defence?

What's my "agenda"?

If people are paid to be experts about a national competition, I'm not sure that argument stands up.

For the likes Garry Lyon and Tim Watson to get to the end of the season and say they were blindsided by WC because they're not in Victoria. I mean, that's not doing their job.

And Tony Jones's remark was just ridiculously over the top and parochial. Again, it's a national competition.

Just be sensible and credible without this ridiculously blinkered pro-Victorian slant on everything. It's unnecessary. And I don't think it reflects the views of the average Victorian supporter, who probably spends quite a bit of time watching interstate sides play over the course of a season. It's just a dumb media contrivance.

The HS cover is a perfect example. Are supporters of Victorian clubs really in that kind of solidarity with one another? I doubt it. I assume most Victorians would have been quite happy WC beat Collingwood. But nah, not according to the HS. There's a whole "Team Victoria" thing that no one else knows about!

Well instead of acknowledging all states across many sports have their state media bias, your initial post read a lot more at look how s**t the VIC media is and what they do.

They all do it, but with a larger collective of teams in Victoria you may notice it more. Numbers game and all.

And yes every Richmond supporter was thrilled when Eagles beat Collingwood. I called it the moment I loved footy again.

Well instead of acknowledging all states across many sports have their state media bias, your initial post read a lot more at look how s**t the VIC media is and what they do.
What is the title of this thread?

And yes every Richmond supporter was thrilled when Eagles beat Collingwood. I called it the moment I loved footy again.
How can that be? I thought all Victorians had joined forces?

Has all your posts this week changed anything? Maybe your talking to the wrong people, instead of being a smart arse behind a keyboard try and do something about it. Get your fellow members together and petition your CEO, after all he's the one who might be able to do something in the future.

In 2007 AFL opened a commission into figuring out why Victoria had not won the premiership since 2000, so 6 years in total, but from 2007 onwards non-Victorian sides have won the premiership 2 times in 13 years and yet there has not even been a peep out of the AFL about trying to figure out why. The reason of course is the AFL don't care too much if non-Victorian teams are not winning the premiership. They only care if Victorian teams aren't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back