Vic bias and the media

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Have to say I was pretty disappointed during the finals, even as a supporter of the team that probably copped the most bandwagoners in the media. Why is the vic media so obsessed with talking up the Vic clubs and ignoring the interstate ones? Yes, I know interstate it is the opposite but Victoria is the hub of the competition and surely the media should hold itself to a higher standard? It has been ridiculous the amount of journos waffling on about the 'missed free' to Maynard and barely even talking about a mammoth effort from the Eagles who went undefeated in Victoria whilst missing NN and Gaff for the finals.

Even the majority of fans in Victoria are happy that the Eagles won, we'd all much rather not read about the Pies winning! I don't mean to turn this into a Collingwood hate thread because it wasn't just the Pies who got all the media limelight through the finals (We probably had more than them before the prelim), it is just so ridiculous that the media still holds onto and promotes this rubbish.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Unfortunately Victorian bias comes in many forms, from the media paying almost no attention to issues affecting non-Victorian clubs like extra travel or the Grand Final at the MCG to non-Victorian team players being underrated because the Victorian media don't talk about them as much.

I am still angry at how little the media bothered to cover the Swans trade ban from a few years ago. I think it warranted a 25-second discussion on AFL 360.

Apr 10, 2011
south of the river
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Tottenham, 49ers & Scorchers
I think Ch7 showing Buckley's disappointment instead of the jubilation of the Eagles coaching box about sums up where the media's priorities are.

Edit - Beat me to it ^^^

You mean like the SA media talks mostly about the SA teams or the WA media talks mostly about WA teams and the NSW media talks mostly about Rugby?

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
Who really cares about non-Victorians? Not me, if I'm being honest. I would assume the same answer goes for most.
I am a Victorian who follows WC.

The nationally syndicated media, which draws heavily from old school Vic footballers really needs to start catering to a national audience.

And it isn't just about viewership and size of supporter base, since Melbourne was getting virtual blanket coverage for much of the year.

I am a Victorian who follows WC.

The nationally syndicated media, which draws heavily from old school Vic footballers really needs to start catering to a national audience.

And it isn't just about viewership and size of supporter base, since Melbourne was getting virtual blanket coverage for much of the year.

Why? Interstate teams and their supporters are, for lack of a better word, very boring and irrelevant.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
You mean like the SA media talks mostly about the SA teams or the WA media talks mostly about WA teams and the NSW media talks mostly about Rugby?
No, like how the nationally syndicated shows like AFL360, On the Couch, Footy Classified, Talking Footy, AFL Gameday etc. virtually ignored the eventual GF winner.

To the point they were ommitted from nearly every promo, or discussion over the course of the finals.

Sep 29, 2008
Between the lines.
AFL Club
West Coast
There is no putting the media to rights or any point saying they should do anything - the only thing that will make a difference is if people stop watching. If you watch and complain about the bias you are part of the problem not the solution.
I stream pirated content and complain.

I used to pay, but being blanked from all discussion, even after big wins did it for me.

A lot of Victorian supporters tipped Melbourne to beat the Eagles which I couldn’t believe. And then those same people went and tipped Collingwood. No idea why in both situations; it’s like the year was just ignored
It was probably more a representation of how poorly interstates teams had previously performed on the big stage at the MCG over the past 5-6 years

Says the North Melbourne supporter?

I think you'd agree that even the smallest Melbourne club is more relevant and interesting than any non-Victorian club, right?

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
Have to say I was pretty disappointed during the finals, even as a supporter of the team that probably copped the most bandwagoners in the media. Why is the vic media so obsessed with talking up the Vic clubs and ignoring the interstate ones? Yes, I know interstate it is the opposite but Victoria is the hub of the competition and surely the media should hold itself to a higher standard? It has been ridiculous the amount of journos waffling on about the 'missed free' to Maynard and barely even talking about a mammoth effort from the Eagles who went undefeated in Victoria whilst missing NN and Gaff for the finals.

Even the majority of fans in Victoria are happy that the Eagles won, we'd all much rather not read about the Pies winning! I don't mean to turn this into a Collingwood hate thread because it wasn't just the Pies who got all the media limelight through the finals (We probably had more than them before the prelim), it is just so ridiculous that the media still holds onto and promotes this rubbish.

Ever lived in South Australia? New South Wales?
You can barely read a thing about a Victorian club.
At least during the season and off-season in Victoria you can read a decent feature story or new story about the Eagles, GWS, Sydney, whoever.
The Sunday Herald Sun had plenty of pages devoted to the Eagles and their win ... same as usual.
I doubt you would see that in SA or WA if Collingwood.

I don't think anyone would agree with that. I think there is a reason good Friday football is on its knees and it is not the timeslot.

Oh okay

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Pathetically disingenuous from a moderator. A lot of football media is nationally syndicated yet non-Victorian teams are largely ignored there, too.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Pathetically disingenuous from a moderator. A lot of football media is nationally syndicated yet non-Victorian teams are largely ignored there, too.

Exactly. Shows like AFL 360, Footy Classified, Sunday Footy Show and those sort of shows are all national shows. They are made in Victoria but they are supposed to be national shows and focus on the national competition.

Brunswick Trap King

Lord Mayor of Melbourne
Jun 1, 2009
Brunswick
AFL Club
West Coast
Exactly. Shows like AFL 360, Footy Classified, Sunday Footy Show and those sort of shows are all national shows. They are made in Victoria but they are supposed to be national shows and focus on the national competition.
I think Chief needs to install some non-Victorian Main Board moderators instead of the low-rent Carlton/Hawthorn moderators who are always promoted (excluding you, Malifice, you're my hero).

A lot of SA radio/tv will focus on the SA teams because they’re broadcast only in SA.
However, shows like AFL360, footy classified etc., are broadcast nationally, but still only focus on the Victorian clubs.
This even happens during the coverage of games involving non-vic teams.

Last edited:

tigertigertiger

Club Legend
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Oct 11, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
the vic bias is annoying outside of Richmond (can't help that), it's just unprofessional because it's too consistent ect and boring and overdone and narrow minded, interstate racism lol

Back