Vic biased 'national' media

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with “Maintain the Rage” on the really lopsided stuff as it comes around. Interstate media should call out the obvious like...e.g.

Why should Richmond and Essendon be centre far king stage every indigenous round??

That’s just ONE example.

WA SA and NT deserve this fixture far more than the Prictorians.
And don’t get me started about ANZAC Day.

Nonsense

If the WAFL didn’t agree to join at the same time as the Brisbane Bears, the VFL would have just privatized the WA license to a wealthy benefactor like they did with Christopher Skase.

The VFL held all the cards.
Rubbish the VFL was broke just needed to hold out longer

Covid footy has brought out a lot of the most biased attitudes of both the AFL and AFL media into the spotlight.

Hubs last year were a classic example. “Interstate” sides like West Coast had been hubbing for a while and it was largely ignored, but when the Vic sides flew out AFL360 had endless footage of them leaving and Gerard Healy banging on about their incredible sacrifice.

Last edited:
I dont watch or listen to any Footy media other than games.

I get my Footy news from here and click on items others post I want to view.

Since cutting Footy media out, I have enjoyed the games more.
Was about to post the same thing. Gave up on hoping for more than a 30 second "review" of our games years ago. Don't watch or read anything other than BF, a bit of Reddit and the Crows facebook/twitter and do not miss one bit of it.

I still see the headlines and just scroll past because it's 99% guff. This week Essendon have a list profile that can win a flag, 3 weeks ago it was "can they win another game"? Just full of egotistical ex-players who froth over making "big calls" that then become a talking point for all the other useless shows to rant about.

I gave up watching TV shows years ago. Just pure biased Vic crap spouting all the time. Interstate clubs get a minute mention once in awhile.

I've been calling it VFL league and VFL House ever since. EVERY major decision goes against the non Vic clubs.

I don't know why we fans even bother to fill our stadia.All we're doing is propping up the failing and expansion clubs still. Couple this to the money given to the SANFL etc., I wonder just how strong a club all the interstate clubs would be if these fees were abolished by forcing the bankrupt clubs to fold.

I’ve simply stopped watching all Vic media shows. I’ve simply given up yelling at the ignorance, the bias, the s**t, dribbling out of my TV. My blood pressure is better for it.

I don’t see how anything, anyone, any team, could remedy the lopsided media mindset. It will never change.

I haven't watched it for about five years.

The bias is obviously problematic. But I could deal with it if it wasn't all so ridiculously shitty quality. No one's understanding of the game on or off field has been the slightest bit enhanced from a Fox Footy produced TV show, craig hutchinson produced radio program or news limited article in a decade. Same with what afl.com.au has turned into.

It's just repeated white noise occasionally dialed up to get clicks.

The best way to gauge the extent of someone's mouth breathing is how much of this drivel they watch and to what extent they take it seriously.

In 2017 I still had Foxtel and would watch AFL360 and The Couch quite a bit. I figured the Crows were a top 2 team, and were thoroughly dominating teams, surely they would cover them now right? Oh how wrong I was. By the halfway point of the season I was recording and skipping through those shows to see if a Crows segment was coming, 8 out of 10 didn't contain anything, and the other 2 usually ran for 2-4 mins if I was lucky. Even when we were winning finals their would be more stories about the teams we would beat then us, it was infuriating!

After that GF I canned Foxtel and never got it back. I echo the sentiment of a few in here already, in that I have completely stopped watching all AFL shows due to the Vic Bias, their disdain for non Vic teams is so blatantly obvious, and yet they sit their with their sh*t eating grins spewing their 1 sided nonsense because they know there's nothing anyone over any border can do about it.

Its like watching toddlers in suits trying to tell you their opinion on dinosaurs... Only not cute toddlers, more the dirty clothed, snot dripping, rude toddlers who run the wrong way up the slide and ruin everything for the other kids. So more or less the toddlers who act like Kane Kornes!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not all that fazed about Vic media and their bias because you can always tune in to local radio or TV to hear SA or WA bias.
End of the day the Vic/National media is commentating mainly on Vic teams because most of the teams and money is in Vic and because AFL house give Vic teams preferential treatment in scheduling, grounds, blockbusters etc.
The media will change when fairness and equality come in to the competition

They were talking about this on the radio last night (I am in lockdown I have been listening to a lot of radio!). They spoke to Rex Hunt & Kevin Sheedy about the possibility of moving these matches around to different states. What annoyed me though, was in the introduction they mentioned the "traditional" opening match Carlton vs Richmond....isn't this only a few years old?

What annoyed me though, was in the introduction they mentioned the "traditional" opening match Carlton vs Richmond....isn't this only a few years old?

Since 2000, the opening match of the season has been Carlton vs Richmond in the following years:

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

I dont watch or listen to any Footy media other than games.

I get my Footy news from here and click on items others post I want to view.

Since cutting Footy media out, I have enjoyed the games more.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Same. I used to watch national footy shows hoping for 5 minutes of coverage. Now I just don't watch them and feel a lot better for it.

hahahahaha, are you serious?! Crow eaters live very sheltered lives - I know, I have outlaws there.
Yes, I am 100% serious about using COVID as an excuse to form an AFL league that excludes Victoria.

I'll be the chairman of the league and player/coach of "the wall" which is a team whose territory is the thin strip defined by the 1km band directly beyond Victoria's state borders. Note that this includes a reasonable section of ocean, so there will necessarily also be a new special player category that allows us to exceed the salary cap for players qualifying as "marine life".

Since 2000, the opening match of the season has been Carlton vs Richmond in the following years:

2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021

I would hardly call that traditional.

By pure statistics its possible that the Adelaide vs Sydney game has been held 11 times in Rd 3 since 1991 *

* completely made up but you get my point.

I just found and crushed through the backlog of TNL eps this week. Loving the deep dive on the SA kids.

Was thinking you guy need a running leaderboard of the top prospect rankings. Can call it the SA Heaps Good Top 10 (or Fantastic 5)
A good idea for after the champs I reckon 👍

I'm not all that fazed about Vic media and their bias because you can always tune in to local radio or TV to hear SA or WA bias.
End of the day the Vic/National media is commentating mainly on Vic teams because most of the teams and money is in Vic and because AFL house give Vic teams preferential treatment in scheduling, grounds, blockbusters etc.
The media will change when fairness and equality come in to the competition

Yes you get local bias and parochialism in state media but I'm talking about supposedly national media who if they are professional would comment equally on all teams.

'Most of the teams' ... 10 of 18 technically is 'most' but only just - and when Tas/NT join ...

'Most of the money' ... sure? or is that just a 'groupthink'? Maybe Vic might have more footy money than any one state but what about all the other footy states combined? Not so sure.

Will 'fairness and equity' come while the Vic biased media give the Vics the inside run? Chicken and eggs to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back