Vic biased 'national' media

Remove this Banner Ad

So they spoke about Brisbane because they've been good and they spoke about West Coast because of the injury crisis, both got less than any Vic club but there are 6 other interstate clubs that got zero mention.

It's Vic bias, no doubt about it. They'll say the market tells us most viewers are in Vic but if they actually fairly covered all teams maybe the market would grow in other states, but they are perfectly happy with how it is, so nothing will ever change.

In fairness there were many Vic clubs that didn't get mentioned but that is understandable with 18 teams. And of course it is all about what is 'news'. But say instead of 10 mins on Coll it could've been 6mins on Coll and four on an issue with a non-Vic.

But as to the Vic media being 'perfectly happy' about it, I agree, but that's only cos they are not challenged. Hence this post. So 'nothing will ever change' if all us nonVics do nothing. Gil and the AFL won't give a crap until it he finds out broadcast fees could be higher if the overall ratings (Vic and nonVic) are higher. But as many nonVics simply tune out then it plays right into Vic hands.

In fairness there were many Vic clubs that didn't get mentioned but that is understandable with 18 teams. And of course it is all about what is 'news'. But say instead of 10 mins on Coll it could've been 6mins on Coll and four on an issue with a non-Vic.

But as to the Vic media being 'perfectly happy' about it, I agree, but that's only cos they are not challenged. Hence this post. So 'nothing will ever change' if all us nonVics do nothing. Gil and the AFL won't give a crap until it he finds out broadcast fees could be higher if the overall ratings (Vic and nonVic) are higher. But as many nonVics simply tune out then it plays right into Vic hands.
What are you suggesting that we do to notify the AFL and it's media that we are all tuning out of these shows because our teams rarely get mentioned?

What are you suggesting that we do to notify the AFL and it's media that we are all tuning out of these shows because our teams rarely get mentioned?

Do whatever you can. From experience, it is really hard to get anything noticed by the AFL, Fox or Ch7. But that's not to say don't try. Maybe talkback radio. Just any opportunity you/we have to spread the word. Casual contacts with influential footy people. Anything. Maybe even contact national advertisers saying are you aware your ads are going to a sub-optimal market? (Increasingly it seems targeting advertisers is effective.) A few years back I started a thread on the Eagles website called 'biased/incompetent media'. It had to close down when it hit the Big Footy limit of 10,000 posts. It had 535K views and was 400 pages long. After that a similar replacement was put up and it is very active. Hence my straying onto your board to encourage similar. And BTW journos do read these Bulletin Boards.

Last edited:

I'd take the conspiracy theories of you Vic bias types more seriously if I wasn't certain that 90% of you were on the 2016 "We need to back real football club Western Bulldogs against fake GWS!" bandwagon.

I watch only AFL360 and On The Couch. I enjoy hearing about all clubs and quite enjoy them.

The main two things annoying me have been:

- The saturation coverage of the Collingwood situation, I have no interest in who is on their board and the Buckley situation is not worthy of so much speculation.

- On The Couch discusses the exact same things 360 does an hour earlier. Choose some different topics between the 2 shows!

I'd take the conspiracy theories of you Vic bias types more seriously if I wasn't certain that 90% of you were on the 2016 "We need to back real football club Western Bulldogs against fake GWS!" bandwagon.
The pub I watched the GF I was the only one wanting Sydney to smash them

I was 100% against the Dogs and my post history would confirm it. However I do remember feeling like I was taking crazy pills at the amount of people who were gaslighted into thinking the Bulldogs winning was sticking it up the AFL who supposedly would've wanted their "pets" GWS and Sydney to win.

I watch 360 and On the Couch and yes, it's frustrating to constantly hear about Vic teams but when you temper your expectations to acknowledge this fact then they are okay. Also need to remember that currently the Vics are polar opposites right now, they are either very good or very shite. Hence they will naturally take a decent portion. Most interstate clubs are bog average right now - what is there to talk about?

I did have to laugh after our Melbourne win though when Whateley goes 'well it's impossible not to start by talking about the last minute decisions' which implied that they would talk about the actual game next but nope, it was also impossible to discuss a single other second of the game. Odd considering the vision of us moving it through the guts quickly would be quite instructive for other teams and worth of analysis. Oh well, at least they made us a pretty little video package that night.

Sorry but seven of the VFL had 'show cause notices' as to why they shouldn't be folded. See the following. They were stuffed.

Gordon Lewis had been commissioner for corporate affairs for only a couple of months when he penned an ultimatum to VFL commissioners.

"Of the 11 Victorian Club companies it appears that seven of them are technically insolvent. These clubs are Fitzroy, Geelong, Footscray, Collingwood, Melbourne, North Melbourne and Richmond," he wrote on August 8, 1986.

In the explosive letter, Mr Lewis said he had met with the league's finance director and "during the course of that discussion it was represented to me that Fitzroy, North Melbourne, St Kilda and Melbourne clubs would seek to merge with either one another or some other club companies".

"Please advise me within seven days what steps the Victorian Football League or its Club Company members propose to take to remedy the situation.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...fl-came-to-shutting-down-20160408-go1x0m.html

Rubbish the VFL was broke just needed to hold out longer

Not disputing that.

That’s why the VFL would have gone to anyone willing and able to pay the license fee in 1985. They were never holding off and waiting for WA & SA to unify fir a better deal, they were hunting for the biggest cash cow to line their pockets.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not disputing that.

That’s why the VFL would have gone to anyone willing and able to pay the license fee in 1985. They were never holding off and waiting for WA & SA to unify fir a better deal, they were hunting for the biggest cash cow to line their pockets.

And that's why WA needed to hold out, can't be a VFL when all the clubs are gone

And that's why WA needed to hold out, can't be a VFL when all the clubs are gone

99% would agree. That would have been the best thing for everyone outside of Victoria.

saying that, do you think someone like Allan Bond, Christopher Skase, Andrew Forrest, Gina Rinehart or any other multimillionaire would care about the state of footy in SA or WA if they could see a profit?

They would have jumped at the chance to invest in a club, totally ignoring the states and fans best interest.

99% would agree. That would have been the best thing for everyone outside of Victoria.

saying that, do you think someone like Allan Bond, Christopher Skase, Andrew Forrest, Gina Rinehart or any other multimillionaire would care about the state of footy in SA or WA if they could see a profit?

They would have jumped at the chance to invest in a club, totally ignoring the states and fans best interest.

Clive Palmer put a crowd cap on Gold Coast's crowds in A-League to avoid paying some kind of council or govt surharge.

Of course the whole Gold Coast United experiment was a debacle.

It’s true, how can we get a huge fine for COVID breach and yet Richmond did it twice and got eff all. We really are savages by the media

It's actually blowing my mind seeing media choosing this week to identify 2 non htb decisions and writing multiple articles about it, talking about how these decisions are so bad that the umpires need to be better.

This happens multiple times in every single game, and the decisions they identified weren't even clear cut decisions! Not to mention there are multiple drops, throws, etc not called every single match. Why not put up a montage? Nope, 2 decisions that affect a Vic team is the cause for outrage.

No mention of a zero prior, arms immediately pinned htb free to Collingwood which gave them the winning goal (we should have put the game away by then, but still).

I watch only AFL360 and On The Couch. I enjoy hearing about all clubs and quite enjoy them.

The main two things annoying me have been:

- The saturation coverage of the Collingwood situation, I have no interest in who is on their board and the Buckley situation is not worthy of so much speculation.

- On The Couch discusses the exact same things 360 does an hour earlier. Choose some different topics between the 2 shows!
And you still watch them?

While it's annoying that footy shows such as footy classified constantly ignore the interstate teams, it's hardly the biggest problem with a Vic biased media.
By far the bigger problem is where they sit on the big issues affecting the fairness and balance of the competition. For example, when the Vic government effectively bribed the AFL into extending the grand final at the MCG by 20 years not one Vic journo questioned that decision. Instead they all slapped each other on the back shouting how great it was for footy.

While it's annoying that footy shows such as footy classified constantly ignore the interstate teams, it's hardly the biggest problem with a Vic biased media.
By far the bigger problem is where they sit on the big issues affecting the fairness and balance of the competition. For example, when the Vic government effectively bribed the AFL into extending the grand final at the MCG by 20 years not one Vic journo questioned that decision. Instead they all slapped each other on the back shouting how great it was for footy.

Yep agree completely. Vic-biased commentary is one thing (albeit bloody annoying) but when serious issues affect the integrity of the comp, issues that further tilt an already unlevel playing field, then I would have hoped that a professional national media might be raising the issues. Otherwise the unfair advantages (almost all suffered by the nonVics) just remain hidden. Think fixturing, cost of living, travel, feeder comps ... even things like how Gil has 'coaches dinners' that can only be attended by Vic coaches (unless a nonVic coach just happens to be in Melb that night).
Or like when Tim Lane cherry picks the data by raising the large number of nonVic premierships from 1992 to 2006 (10 of 15) as proof that the comp is fair, it doesn't allow for the possibility that maybe they'd have even more if the comp had been more equitable. And so using Tim's logic then looking at 2013-2021 I could argue that the fact the nonVics have only one of eight must mean the comp is unfair.

Etc etc etc

Really like your comment "Grahame" as it is true, except of course in the eyes of the Melbourne based media who self perpetuate the theory that they have no bias with unerring religious zeal.

The other major issue that I see is that local football shows (radio and TV) in Adelaide and Perth are not given any national credence and are dismissed as overly parochial and therefore of little real football consequence to the greater discussion on the game, yet in Melbourne the local journalists there imply they have risen above partisan 'us versus them' issues and are seen as some sort of unbiased voice of the people! Reality is however they are just as parochial as the others but get away with it and therefore often set the football agenda with that very same bias bubbling away in every comment they make.

You just have to see the very rare occasion when one of them is challenged on that bias, the denials are so strenuous and incredulous as to only confirm that it is true, funny though this happens so rarely and is forgotten so quickly by most. I still recall Sam McClure and his bias against Adelaide, he was challenged on radio, I think SEN, at one stage but still carried on perpetuating garbage and no one stepped in, for these journalists a little bit of truth is a very dangerous thing!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back