Vic biased 'national' media

Remove this Banner Ad

Grahame

Club Legend
Aug 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Hi, I'm an Eagles supporter. On our board we have had a very popular and long running thread on the above topic. I am wondering if there is any feeling in your club about how us 'interstate' supporters get pretty much ignored by the supposedly national broadcasters.

There are many many issues that this raises - a few being the blatant ignorance of nonVic teams or issues, travel, MCG fixturing etc etc. But I am wondering whether all the nonVic supporters need to make a noise to redress this.

Comments?

Hi, I'm an Eagles supporter. On our board we have had a very popular and long running thread on the above topic. I am wondering if there is any feeling in your club about how us 'interstate' supporters get pretty much ignored by the supposedly national broadcasters.

There are many many issues that this raises - a few being the blatant ignorance of nonVic teams or issues, travel, MCG fixturing etc etc. But I am wondering whether all the nonVic supporters need to make a noise to redress this.

Comments?

No responses, but I will give it a go...

The Lions are mostly ignored by the national media, especially on talk shows. Prime example is AFL 360's Coach's night where they often talk to the Victorian coach more than 75% of the time when Fagan is on.

Most commentators on both FoxFooty and Channel 7 seem to focus on the other teams compared to the Lions (both in the AFL and AFLW). In my opinion, some commentators display at least subconscious bias against the Lions when calling (often getting the names totally wrong, getting excited when other teams kick goals but deadpanning or faking interest when the Lions kick goals, calling for free kicks for the opposition etc), but I think that most are just toeing the company line to pump up their primary market - Victoria. This seems to have gotten even worse when the commentators call games from a studio in Melbourne. It can get so annoying that I often watch large parts of the game on mute.

As for fixturing, the AFL spit in the face of old Fitzroy supporters on a yearly basis by not playing at least 6 games in Melbourne as per the merger agreement. It is a disgrace.

A big difference between WA and Queensland though is that the sport's news focus is Brisbane is predominantly on Rugby League. As an example, it is relatively common for Channel 7 news (yes, the organisation that pays millions to broadcast the game) to not mention any AFL news at all. Channel 7 nearly always start the Sports news with up to 3 minutes about the Broncos (yes, promoting a Channel 9 and News Corp investment). If the Lions are playing well, then they get proportionally more TV and Newspaper space. Not sure what it's like on the Gold Coast.

I am not sure that the AFL will listen to Brisbane supporters complaining at all. They have been shown to be quite vindictive to Sydney and Brisbane in the past when they have had good teams. Also, if we fall down the ladder, then we unfortunately currently need support from the AFL to survive. Hopefully, we will be more independent in the coming years.

The Lions are mostly ignored by the national media, especially on talk shows. Prime example is AFL 360's Coach's night where they often talk to the Victorian coach more than 75% of the time when Fagan is on.

Most commentators on both FoxFooty and Channel 7 seem to focus on the other teams compared to the Lions (both in the AFL and AFLW). In my opinion, some commentators display at least subconscious bias against the Lions when calling (often getting the names totally wrong, getting excited when other teams kick goals but deadpanning or faking interest when the Lions kick goals, calling for free kicks for the opposition etc), but I think that most are just toeing the company line to pump up their primary market - Victoria. This seems to have gotten even worse when the commentators call games from a studio in Melbourne. It can get so annoying that I often watch large parts of the game on mute.

As for fixturing, the AFL spit in the face of old Fitzroy supporters on a yearly basis by not playing at least 6 games in Melbourne as per the merger agreement. It is a disgrace.

A big difference between WA and Queensland though is that the sport's news focus is Brisbane is predominantly on Rugby League. As an example, it is relatively common for Channel 7 news (yes, the organisation that pays millions to broadcast the game) to not mention any AFL news at all. Channel 7 nearly always start the Sports news with up to 3 minutes about the Broncos (yes, promoting a Channel 9 and News Corp investment). If the Lions are playing well, then they get proportionally more TV and Newspaper space. Not sure what it's like on the Gold Coast.

I am not sure that the AFL will listen to Brisbane supporters complaining at all. They have been shown to be quite vindictive to Sydney and Brisbane in the past when they have had good teams. Also, if we fall down the ladder, then we unfortunately currently need support from the AFL to survive. Hopefully, we will be more independent in the coming years.
Channel 7 sports reader is ex Broncos champion Shane Webcke. His co-host is ex Bronco champion Trevor Gillmiester.

Not surprising in an nrl dominated market.

The FTA TV networks and the subsription services basically tell their listeners what they want to hear and slant their coverage because that's the best way to keep them watching.

This is Rule No 1 that every media baron since we've had print and visual media lives and dies by.

So whilst to me it's extremely annoying that we get poor coverage and no real support I understand why it happens.

It's not fair or even decent journalism but to get that we need to be far more popular than what we are in reality across the readers and listeners.

Not going to change any time soon either.

Splitting my time between Queensland and Victoria provides an interesting comparison. In Victoria there isn't a lot of overall interest in our club bar some diehard support which we need to capitalise on more. And in Queensland ,particularly in the Far North nobody really gives a toss . It's all NRL.

So it's an ongoing battle for us to maintain relevance as a club and that means having a good team so that the younger generations have something to latch on to in Queensland. And we try to grow a traditional supporter base in Victoria which is basically the bread and butter for media in the AFL

i don't know enough, but would you consider it worse to be a non-vic team getting no national press, or one of the small vic teams getting none either. OR does even the smallest vic club get more than most non-vic clubs?

personally its always been this way for me so while I whine and mutter under my breath when we don't get our rightful media love-fest, when we play horribly i'm thankful we're not in the limelight.

I suppose it has some real ramifications for potential sponsors and the like, but we also use the 'non-vic' card as a bonus to lure players sometimes.

I'm too young to have the Fitzroy connection, but even I would like that link to be stronger, and utilized by both us and the afl more.

all too much above my head. I guess in the end for me it would only matter if we won a grand final, I would hope we would get the rightful lauding from the national media. Our ups and downs I don't really mind getting scrutinized, but it seems our 3peat has gotten its rightful attention (though I wonder what would have been said if we only got the first.. oh well)

i don't know enough, but would you consider it worse to be a non-vic team getting no national press, or one of the small vic teams getting none either. OR does even the smallest vic club get more than most non-vic clubs?

personally its always been this way for me so while I whine and mutter under my breath when we don't get our rightful media love-fest, when we play horribly i'm thankful we're not in the limelight.

I suppose it has some real ramifications for potential sponsors and the like, but we also use the 'non-vic' card as a bonus to lure players sometimes.

I'm too young to have the Fitzroy connection, but even I would like that link to be stronger, and utilized by both us and the afl more.

all too much above my head. I guess in the end for me it would only matter if we won a grand final, I would hope we would get the rightful lauding from the national media. Our ups and downs I don't really mind getting scrutinized, but it seems our 3peat has gotten its rightful attention (though I wonder what would have been said if we only got the first.. oh well)
I think the smaller Vic clubs get most of their coverage when in crisis i.e. St Kilda and North.The exception is obviously the Bulldogs who all of the Melbourne media salivate over.

On the Gold Coast, the Suns are given the same amount of news time as the Titans. Lions are never mentioned though, but they receive the 2nd best treatment (behind NRL) in the bris news. A few news programs this year actually ended up with the Channel 7 host saying Go Lions

Victoria has its own little eco system - AFL clubs need exposure and journalist need content. Good journalists/commentators seem to get the content but are not afraid to put it on the line. The poor journalist/commentator need to be seen as hard hitting so they go on the attack outside of the eco system and protect the vital incoming VIC content.

1. I also feel the Vic commentators tend to interpret the game from the Vic teams perspective. So it is not what the nonVic is doing well or badly but what the Vic team is doing well/badly. And similarly in panel shows. When WCE played Carl last round I would've thought the more relevant story from a national perspective was could the injury-depleted seventh placed team - facing Rich, Foots and Syd in successive weeks - stay in the hunt? But no, it was all about could mediocre Carl (then two games and % out of the eight) make the eight. Really?

2. As you say disgraceful and arrogance re not playing six games a year in Vic. Worth a legal challenge from the club to enforce contract?

3. Can understand Rugby League predominance, but then the argument could be that to win over more Qld'ers to AFL then the AFL should be unhappy with the existing Vic-biased coverage.

4. I agree AFL will not listen to the supporters from one nonVic club - hence this post. Not sure what we (all nonVics) can do but there is deep resentment among Eagles fans.
I raised this issue about three? years ago on our Bulletin Board where each thread apparently has a limit of 10,000 posts. We got that which meant >535K views, 400 pages. So when that thread had to close another similar one took its place (which now has 390 pages). I think it is just using each and every opportunity to raise the issue. Good luck.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Yes I think the supporters of North Melbourne could currently be disappointed but commentators can always create 'newsworthy' issues about the (local) Vic teams e.g. Haw: 'successful club on the slide'; Clarkson's future? StK: not meeting pre-season expectations; Melb: unexpected(?) dominance; Foots: can they replicate their (overdue) GF victory? then for Carl, Rich, Ess, Coll and Geel they are newsworthy just because the newsmakers say so - a player's wife getting blonde tips makes news there (well almost). So coaching speculation, boardroom antics, player misbehaviour etc etc are all eagerly and comprehensively dissected and redissected.

It is one thing to complain about one-sided commentary but the lack of interest or ignorance means issues that may affect the actual performance of the nonVic teams don't become a national issue and thus the AFL doesn't have to address them. Issues like fixturing, cost of living, 'home ground advantage', feeder comps and travel. On the latter it obviously affects WA teams much more but one stat - Matthew Pavlich played 353 games and travelled 861K kms, Kade Simpson 342 games for 123K km. But has the ramifications of that ever been seriously discussed? Instead we are told 'that is the way it is'. Yeh sure, but be a bit creative and travel can be reduced (e.g. play two games in one interstate city on a six day break) etc etc.

2. The 'go-home factor' ... not sure there is an advantage for nonVics. Gut feeling is that it maybe a disadvantage - only two teams to chose from etc. But not sure.

Fox has a channel for NRL, a different channel for AFL.
It's pretty clearly not a national stage, which was what I was referring to (tongue in cheek).

All the shows are produced and predominantly viewed in Victoria.

It's pretty clearly not a national stage, which was what I was referring to (tongue in cheek).

Mmmm, be really interesting to know what the Vic audience is and what the total nonVic audience is. The current 'groupthink' is that because Vic has the most viewers then the programs should cater to Vic teams. But collectively the current nonVics may outnumber the Vics. I don't know.

Also be interested to know what the figures would be if the nonVic teams got more coverage - it may mean many of the browned-off nonVic supporters might start watching thus further increasing nonVic ratings.

I think the best football podcast done by a traditional media outlet is probably the Age's. It spends about 30% of its time on board challenges at big Vic clubs who aren't performing at the moment, 30% of the time on how the good Vic teams are playing, 30% of the time on contracts/trading, and then there might be 10% left over for the non-victorian clubs.

I've actually found footy podcasts produced by WA papers to have a far better overall coverage of teams, albeit with an obvious focus on WC and to a lesser extent Freo.

I think the best football podcast done by a traditional media outlet is probably the Age's. It spends about 30% of its time on board challenges at big Vic clubs who aren't performing at the moment, 30% of the time on how the good Vic teams are playing, 30% of the time on contracts/trading, and then there might be 10% left over for the non-victorian clubs.

I've actually found footy podcasts produced by WA papers to have a far better overall coverage of teams, albeit with an obvious focus on WC and to a lesser extent Freo.
Mongrel Punt at least gives everyone a decent go. Albeit it has a very limited readership.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back