Vic Country squad

Remove this Banner Ad

footyman

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Found this online about the Vic Country tryouts the other day.

Best young players in tryout
Ballarat Courier

North Ballarat Rebels' Nic Suban trying out with a preliminary Victorian Country squad for the National Under-18 Championships.

THE TAC Cup under-18 football season is still nine weeks away.
However, this did not stop 31 hopefuls trying out with a preliminary Victorian Country squad at AUSTAR Arena in Ballarat.

The youngsters have their sights on wearing the Big V in the National Under-18 Championships in July.

The carnival is a showcase of the best talent for AFL scouts and last year helped 16 of the 22 Victoria Country players get drafted.

North Ballarat Rebels Jordan Roughead, Ryan McKenzie, Jason Linke, Nic Suban, Andrew Hooper, Chris Curran and Ben Peters were among players to go through theory with Victoria Country coach Robert Hyde.

The North Ballarat, Geelong Falcons, Murray Bushrangers, Gippsland Power and Bendigo Pioneers players then had a light skills session.

Hyde coached Calder Cannons for 10 seasons and won four premierships before standing down last year.

For players like Nick Suban and Bendigo's Jake Gaylor, it was a chance to re-affirm their draft hopes.

Each was a star performer in the national championships last year, but was too young to enter into the national AFL draft.

The country squad has started training earlier this year with the mindset that two training sessions shortly before the carnival are not enough.

"If we can get them together five times then they get the chance to show their progress, as well as getting to know each other and the coach," Rebels regional manager Phil Partington said.

"Two days to do it all just isn't enough."

The squad first met in December and consists of bottom age players from last year, as well as the under-16s who performed well at their national carnival.

"The preparation will be based on the clubs but this is an opportunity for the team to get together," high performance manager Leon Harris said.

"It isn't a set squad, there will be opportunities for other kids to get into the squad.

"There are four or five AIS contracted kids missing and we have five clubs that represent Vic Country," he said.

2m5ck.jpg

suspect1

Senior List
Mar 26, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Found this online about the Vic Country tryouts the other day.

Best young players in tryout
Ballarat Courier

North Ballarat Rebels' Nic Suban trying out with a preliminary Victorian Country squad for the National Under-18 Championships.

THE TAC Cup under-18 football season is still nine weeks away.
However, this did not stop 31 hopefuls trying out with a preliminary Victorian Country squad at AUSTAR Arena in Ballarat.

The youngsters have their sights on wearing the Big V in the National Under-18 Championships in July.

The carnival is a showcase of the best talent for AFL scouts and last year helped 16 of the 22 Victoria Country players get drafted.

North Ballarat Rebels Jordan Roughead, Ryan McKenzie, Jason Linke, Nic Suban, Andrew Hooper, Chris Curran and Ben Peters were among players to go through theory with Victoria Country coach Robert Hyde.

The North Ballarat, Geelong Falcons, Murray Bushrangers, Gippsland Power and Bendigo Pioneers players then had a light skills session.

Hyde coached Calder Cannons for 10 seasons and won four premierships before standing down last year.

For players like Nick Suban and Bendigo's Jake Gaylor, it was a chance to re-affirm their draft hopes.

Each was a star performer in the national championships last year, but was too young to enter into the national AFL draft.

The country squad has started training earlier this year with the mindset that two training sessions shortly before the carnival are not enough.

"If we can get them together five times then they get the chance to show their progress, as well as getting to know each other and the coach," Rebels regional manager Phil Partington said.

"Two days to do it all just isn't enough."

The squad first met in December and consists of bottom age players from last year, as well as the under-16s who performed well at their national carnival.

"The preparation will be based on the clubs but this is an opportunity for the team to get together," high performance manager Leon Harris said.

"It isn't a set squad, there will be opportunities for other kids to get into the squad.

"There are four or five AIS contracted kids missing and we have five clubs that represent Vic Country," he said.

2m5ck.jpg

Went down and watched them train they look a very small side . I guess if you put john Butcher and Jack Zebel in it gives them some strength and steele sidebottom and the other ais kids in it will change a lot . I thought Pianto looked exceptionally good Hooper will be good and a few of the boys have really come on Just a worry on hieght. Going to be really interesting .

Hawk Glory 08

Team Captain
Jan 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC MUFC AEK FC AEL FC
Went down and watched them train they look a very small side . I guess if you put john Butcher and Jack Zebel in it gives them some strength and steele sidebottom and the other ais kids in it will change a lot . I thought Pianto looked exceptionally good Hooper will be good and a few of the boys have really come on Just a worry on hieght. Going to be really interesting .
How did Nic Suban look? He is an apparent gun.

How did Nic Suban look? He is an apparent gun.

As it stands right now, he should go top 10. Just a great accumulator of the football, good inside and out, and uses as good as I have seen at junior level. One thing that sticks out is the penetration he gets with the footy. For someone who is around the 180cm mark, he gets really good depth with his kicking.

macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool

Is he eligible for this years draft?

btw is the article is referring to Josh Gaylor?

backtoback84

Rookie
Aug 20, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Essendon
As it stands right now, he should go top 10. Just a great accumulator of the football, good inside and out, and uses as good as I have seen at junior level. One thing that sticks out is the penetration he gets with the footy. For someone who is around the 180cm mark, he gets really good depth with his kicking.

yeah suban is not a bad footballer,how ever did nothing in the tac cup games that he played when he returned from championships.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
I am really interested to see how high Ayce Cordy goes come draft time. He will test the bidding system more so than Darcy Daniher I think.

macca69

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 8, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I am really interested to see how high Ayce Cordy goes come draft time. He will test the bidding system more so than Darcy Daniher I think.

That brings up an interesting point.

The Bulldogs (and Ayce) have a real incentive for him to simply not perform this year. Seeing as he's already a certainty to go FS and it's just a matter of where.

If he has an ordinary year, could there be questions asked?

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
That brings up an interesting point.

The Bulldogs (and Ayce) have a real incentive for him to simply not perform this year. Seeing as he's already a certainty to go FS and it's just a matter of where.

If he has an ordinary year, could there be questions asked?

Yeah thats a fair point. However he such an outstanding athlete at 200+ cms that I think the Bulldogs will have to part with a second round pick. Chris Curran will be an interesting work in progress his dad was a fair player who would have excelled at the modern game I reckon.

Coach

Rookie
Feb 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Is he eligible for this years draft?

btw is the article is referring to Josh Gaylor?

I think Butcher would be eligible, not a 100% and to Bourky23 I havnt seen to much of him playing, been injured alot so would need a good start to the season to challenge for Vic C selection i would think.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Mo'

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2007
Top 4
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Man. City, Chicago Bulls

is that matt pianto

Remove this Banner Ad

Back