Vic earthquake - wtf?

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Screenshot_2021-09-22-13-34-18-11_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Shamelessly lifted word for word from a completely unrelated BF thread...

Peter Nicholson's famous Gough Whitlam "Did the Earth Move For You Too Dear" cartoon after the
Tangshan earthquake in 1976.

When Gough and Margaret Whitlam were caught up in an earthquake during a visit to China, a cartoonist took the opportunity to have some fun with the incident.

The Age cartoonist Peter Nicholson drew the Whitlams in bed. Gough turns to Margaret and says: "Did the earth move for you too, dear?"

Complaints about the cartoon's poor taste flooded in, but it gave the Whitlams a good chuckle.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
View attachment 1243078

Peter Nicholson's famous Gough Whitlam "Did the Earth Move For You Too Dear" cartoon after the

When Gough and Margaret Whitlam were caught up in an earthquake during a visit to China, a cartoonist took the opportunity to have some fun with the incident.

The Age cartoonist Peter Nicholson drew the Whitlams in bed. Gough turns to Margaret and says: "Did the earth move for you too, dear?"

Complaints about the cartoon's poor taste flooded in, but it gave the Whitlams a good chuckle.

Well done SOS. Did cross my mind this morning.

Sadly no. Would've been a great case study for the next meeting on the topic.

On another note, many moons ago I was an exchange student in California and was woken one night by an earthquake that was so strong it threw me out of my bed. I actually had a dream about that last night.

**Cue Twilight Zone theme music**

That's really cool about the dream see see. I love it when stuff like that happens!

Anyway, hope everyone's okay down there. Yikes. Earthquake in the middle of a lockdown and pandemic must feel pretty darn weird.

View attachment 1243078

Still regarded as one of the best Australian cartoons ever drawn.

Is your dog okay gokangas? That would be really traumatising. Hope you guys are okay. :(
We were very lucky. Two American staffys chased us up our driveway. I had just unclipped my girls lead as we were home, so I doubled it over buckle end out and hit the prick as hard as I could across the head. Lucky shot and it let go. My dog ran under the roller door and I backed up as it came at me again and got a second shot in. The dogs ran off. They had already killed a dog around the corner and attacked another bloke and dog. Police were everywhere looking for them with two animal management vans from council - then the chopper. Impressive response. But they didn't find them so I am very nervous walking my dog now. I am extremely lucky that I still have my beautiful golden retriever and that I wasn't bitten. Thanks for asking.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We were very lucky. Two American staffys chased us up our driveway. I had just unclipped my girls lead as we were home, so I doubled it over buckle end out and hit the prick as hard as I could across the head. Lucky shot and it let go. My dog ran under the roller door and I backed up as it came at me again and got a second shot in. The dogs ran off. They had already killed a dog around the corner and attacked another bloke and dog. Police were everywhere looking for them with two animal management vans from council - then the chopper. Impressive response. But they didn't find them so I am very nervous walking my dog now. I am extremely lucky that I still have my beautiful golden retriever and that I wasn't bitten. Thanks for asking.

Gee GK now that would be frightening !.. Pleased you and the dog are all good

Glad your both ok. Remember my mate and I taking his Lab to the park when I was 9. Staffy attacked it and my mates dog ended up with his own collar bridling his own mouth so he couldn't fight back. We were screaming, blood everywhere and the owner of the staffy was trying to pull it off by the lead but he couldn't. He ended up just giving up and throwing the lead into the fight. It was horrible and I'll never forget it. Thankfully the dog survived but need a lot of stitching.

Gee GK now that would be frightening !.. Pleased you and the dog are all good
Plus my wife is legally blind and usually walks with us but she rolled her ankle so didn't come on the walk. Would have complicated it even more.
I'm an old man now so doesn't take much to shake me up - I was lucky here, very lucky.

Last edited:

I'm glad you guys are okay. And I wish people who own dogs that they know are dangerous would take responsibility for them. It's just a heartbreaking situation with some dogs, because nobody wins, and the dogs always pay.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Plus my wife is legally blind and usually walks with us but she rolled her ankle so didn't come on the walk. Would have complicated it even more.
I'm an old man now so doesn't take much to shake me up - I was lucky here, very lucky.

Well you did well !

hope all you guys are ok over the ditch. I know only too well that earthquakes are pretty frightening. Been in lots and I still sh&t myself !

Reginald0

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Stop worrying
All good 👍 in the eastern suburbs
Weatherboard still standing
My 2nd earthquake
Was in Inverloch 10yrs? ago

thotoday was quite strong
Ppl were out in the street pretty quickly

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was in Valparaiso Chile when one hit. The place was rocking and rolling and I ran in to check the kids who were a sleep in bunk beds. I was expecting to find them on the floor, or crying in fright but no, they slept through the whole thing.
those guys have a pretty crazy mountainbike urban downhill event.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hopefully they find the dogs and put them and their owners down.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well done SOS. Did cross my mind this morning.
I put that cartoon into one of my school assignments when we were learning about politics. Gough's trip to China was big news back in the day. I was told to remove it. That comic is embedded into my brain. I recall Gough speaking about it on some news program and it genuinely had him smirking from ear to ear.

But Gough was tough till he hit the rough. Uncle Sam and John were quite enough!

Glad you or your dog didn’t get hurt.
Hopefully the dogs will get caught unfortunately when they taste blood they are no good.
Maybe carry some protection if you go for a walk or just drive to a different area. Good luck 😉

Shinboner1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
FAKE NEWS NEVER HAPPENED, DAN ANDREWS DUG UP THE MOUNTAIN AND MOVED THE TECTONIC PLAYES
Andrews made westgate tunnel project so he could set off earthquakes and scare people into taking the vaccine.

Back