Vic Greens trying to legislate more GF tix for supporting clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't care about all that. All I am asking is, is it a good idea that club members have more access to grand final tickets? If it is a good idea, then support it. If it is not then don't.

The club members should be compelling the clubs to force the AFL to open up more seats. Its an AFL issue that needs to be fixed by the AFL.

Not a Nanny State pandering Greens party.

The question is whether or not there is a role for government in achieving it. If no then what is the point of this act? I don't support political opportunists who prey on the gullible who "don't care about all that"

As posted earlier in the thread the MCG is managed by the government appointed MCG Trust and the GF is subject to anti-piracy laws with the government signing off on ticket allocations.

Sam Hibbins - the member for Prahran and Greens spokesperson for sport - has already called for more tickets for club members, but this latest step is aimed at applying further pressure on Labor Minister John Eren, whose portfolios cover tourism, major events and sport.

In his role, Eren currently approves grand final ticket allocation each year as part of anti-scalping legislation.

The average football fan is an idiot blue collar worker who votes liberal due to them skyrails and boats people and s**t ey so the general response to "The greens" in this thread is hardly surprising.

This forum is overrun with lefties. Literally.

free tickets at taxpayer expense: to prisoners to "punish" the rioters the next time the prisoners destroy the prisons because their swimming pool wasn't warm enough and to refugees so they can plot their terrorist attacks oops sorry plan the fireworks displays that are part of their culture.

In reality, it is just attention seeking to try and make people remember that there is actually a Greens party.

Typical ignorant "them bloody softy lefty softcocks!!!" comment

The club members should be compelling the clubs to force the AFL to open up more seats. Its an AFL issue that needs to be fixed by the AFL.

lol, executing the popular will of the people (I assume this is the case) is characteristic of a "nanny state"?

lol, executing the popular will of the people (I assume this is the case) is characteristic of a "nanny state"?

Government telling business how it should be run is nanny state.

Pandering to Essendon voters by demanding an inquiry into ASADA clearly wasnt enough for them. Now they are pandering to idiots who think government knows how to run sports.

The greens demonstrating once more how limited their grasp of reality is.

10,000 more seats for fans is a great idea in theory...but who is going to lose those seats, and how much is it going to cost?

Typically, consequences and commercial reality don't enter the Greens thought processes.

Pandering to Essendon voters by demanding an inquiry into ASADA clearly wasnt enough for them. Now they are pandering to idiots who think government knows how to run sports.

I suppose it depends on your view of government's role, for which there is no 100% ideal model or approach, but for me, a democratically elected government having supremacy over businesses allows for rules to be set in place that better serve the interests of the majority.
Obviously the market has a role in delivering benefits to the community itself, but in this case, football is, IMO, an important part of the country's culture and a policy to make it more accessible to fans helps preserve that valuable culture.
Might be a bit naive on my part but regulation exists and rightfully so. I'd prefer to live in a "nanny state" than one ruled by business (moreso than it already is).

I suppose it depends on your view of government's role, for which there is no 100% ideal model or approach, but for me, a democratically elected government having supremacy over businesses allows for rules to be set in place that better serve the interests of the majority.
Obviously the market has a role in delivering benefits to the community itself, but in this case, football is, IMO, an important part of the country's culture and a policy to make it more accessible to fans helps preserve that valuable culture.
Might be a bit naive on my part but regulation exists and rightfully so. I'd prefer to live in a "nanny state" than one ruled by business (moreso than it already is).

Maybe next they make McDonald's bring back the $5 Big Mac lunch meal deal.

Maybe next they make McDonald's bring back the $5 Big Mac lunch meal deal.

That's not a really reasonable way to think of regulations such as that being discussed in this thread. There's a difference between (what most would agree is) something of cultural value, and a low priced consumable product.
The Grand Final isn't something trivial to make re:tarded analogies with

Lol a piece of propaganda swill written by an IPA stooge. Yep seems like real balanced and objective analysis, no emotive language whatsoever :tearsofjoy:

Except the book is a compilation of chapters written by 21 authors, including university professors, economists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, scientists, business leaders and industry leaders. So not one "IPA stooge".

Don't let the facts get in your way though right? Just like Greens policy.

Last edited:
The Government can definitely have say in the running of the MCG.
The MCG is built on crown land and it belongs to the Victorian people (aka the government). There is an Act of Parliament - the MCG Act of 1933, that defines how management of this people's asset act will be arranged. The Act states that a body - (the MCG Trust)will control the asset. This Trust contracted out the management to the Melbourne Cricket Club - the MCC.
So can governments have a say in running the 'G....they already do as they own the joint. They just sub out the management to someone else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Examples, please. I'm sure they can be refuted with plenty, plenty more examples from ALP and LNP.

Also, Demonic Ascent never, at any stage let facts get in the way. The portion quoted was written by one author, not a collection of 21 authors, including university professors, economists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, scientists business leaders and industry leaders. Lol. So yes, one IPA stooge.

Last edited:
Examples, please. I'm sure they can be refuted with plenty, plenty more examples from ALP and LNP.

Also, Demonic Assault never, at any stage let facts get in the way. The portion quoted was written by one author, not a collection of 21 authors, including university professors, economists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, scientists business leaders and industry leaders. Lol. So yes, one IPA stooge.

My reading of the original post (perhaps wrongly) was as an intimation that the book was written by one author (McIntyre) when in fact it was written by a range of well credentialed authors. So I assume you have read the book so as to be able to criticize McIntyre's assessment of it?

Last edited:
Except the book is a compilation of chapters written by 21 authors, including university professors, economists, lawyers, doctors, journalists, scientists, business leaders and industry leaders. So not one "IPA stooge".

Except what you directly quoted was from well known IPA stooge Andrew McIntyre, who also happens to be the editor of the book. So it actually is just one IPA stooge, but if you want to delve deeper, if you have a look every single contributor has a profile on the IPA website, so yeah it's actually 21 IPA stooges. What a surprise that they all agree and bag out the left side of politics.

Neither football clubs nor the AFL pay any ******* tax.
The MCG is essentially a public park.
Not a business, and most definitely subject to anti scalping laws.

Except what you directly quoted was from well known IPA stooge Andrew McIntyre, who also happens to be the editor of the book. So it actually is just one IPA stooge, but if you want to delve deeper, if you have a look every single contributor has a profile on the IPA website, so yeah it's actually 21 IPA stooges. What a surprise that they all agree and bag out the left side of politics.

You can't be serious. Conspiracy theory much? I assume you are referencing the far left side of politics with your last statement and are not grouping the entire left side of politics into the Greens bucket? To their credit, the centre left view much of Greens policy with similar ideological disdain.

It is the Greens and ALP so the outcome will probably be free tickets at taxpayer expense: to prisoners to "punish" the rioters the next time the prisoners destroy the prisons because their swimming pool wasn't warm enough and to refugees so they can plot their terrorist attacks oops sorry plan the fireworks displays that are part of their culture.

In reality, it is just attention seeking to try and make people remember that there is actually a Greens party.
let the first slip but so many more examples of required retrospective family planning keep "M'nah m'nah, durka durka'ing" that its embarrassing we have a universal franchise....:(

The question is whether or not there is a role for government in achieving it. If no then what is the point of this act? I don't support political opportunists who prey on the gullible who "don't care about all that"

You are aware the State Govt already have to approve GF ticket allocation? They can reject it, they can reject the status quo ...

The greens demonstrating once more how limited their grasp of reality is.

10,000 more seats for fans is a great idea in theory...but who is going to lose those seats, and how much is it going to cost?

Typically, consequences and commercial reality don't enter the Greens thought processes.

The arch conservative, the elite remain entitled .... its time the State Government took seats from the Cricket Club for every dollar WE (thru the MCG Trust) donate EVERY YEAR.
Members of competing clubs should be #1, #2, #3 on the pecking list in front of AFL members for certain, & then there is the Medallion Club allocation ....

so you're not against the idea - you just don't like that it came from the greens?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back