Vic Greens trying to legislate more GF tix for supporting clubs

Remove this Banner Ad

What, like that Royal Commission into Institutional Child Abuse they were calling for for nearly a decade, before Gillard finally did the right thing? How much abuse, how many suicides could have been prevented if more people had taken the Greens seriously?

Or that federal-level ICAC they've been calling for for years, to a deafening silence from the Coalition and, until very recently, Labor?

#Leather Poisoning is right - people need to learn that being engaged politically is about working for the betterment of society, not about mindless barracking.

Calling for a couple of inquiries aren't really their substantive policies. Sure, these are good, but would you really like the greens to be in power?

Give me a break. This thread is chockablock with posters bagging the proposal for no other reason than that it's put forward by the Greens. Open your eyes.

Open my eyes....and learn?

There's various degrees of greens criticism but that's not barracking, I'm afraid. A lot of naive, doe eyed green supporters defending them though...

The Government can definitely have say in the running of the MCG.
The MCG is built on crown land and it belongs to the Victorian people (aka the government). There is an Act of Parliament - the MCG Act of 1933, that defines how management of this people's asset act will be arranged. The Act states that a body - (the MCG Trust)will control the asset. This Trust contracted out the management to the Melbourne Cricket Club - the MCC.
So can governments have a say in running the 'G....they already do as they own the joint. They just sub out the management to someone else.

& the appointment of the MCC as manager has never gone to open tender.

You don't think the big AFL sponsors (NAB?) don't get most of the corporate seats? Club sponsors mostly come out of the allocation that goes to each club.

Its the high priced packages the politician was on about (ABC radio), seats sold, marked up & packaged in the week leading up to the game .... these are the clubs for sure, cant see the NAB selling their allocation. Corporate boxes for the GF, is there a market??

& the appointment of the MCC as manager has never gone to open tender.

The Act doesnt require the management to go to tender if the MCC is given the role. Its only required if its someone OTHER than the MCC. And it doesnt appear to affect the MCC members area either, with options to extend the use of that regardless.

This forum is overrun with lefties. Literally.
Maybe coz there's a lot more of us everywhere.

That silent majority we lefties keep hearing about sure had the chance to finally break that silence in the WA election the other week, didn't they?

But no, they stayed silent.

If Trump hasn't emboldened them to finally speak out, any logical person would have to start concluding that this mysterious silent majority is indeed silent, but definitely not the majority.

Gee that's witty. Proved my point, thank you. Welcome to my Ignore list. A short but very ordinary rollcall.

I proved your point that I am blind because I don't share your conviction in the moral and political superiority of the Greens political party?

Seriously kid, you're young, it is no sin to confuse your own sentiments and thoughts as representative as the Universal Truth. Hopefully you evolve though as calling people blind because they don't agree with your political views and being completely intolerant to criticism of your political party while you accuse others of barracking just makes you come across as being devoid of self awareness

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Common sense isn't so common in Victoria unfortunately and died around late November 2014.
Total BS!
Oh and BTW the AFL the last time I looked is an independent organization and is not run or beholding to the State government or Parliament.
So the Greens are being stupid if they think this will get up.While they are at why not ban the MCC members from getting favouritism?

Last edited:
The AFL already makes way too much revenue and now have the tv rights money flowing in. They can afford to lose a bit.
You can never have too much money
The AFL and every other sporting code in the land will say they dont have enough money to do everything that they want to do.

Dont forget the man beneficiaries of the money the AFL makes are the clubs and players

Total BS!
Oh and BTW the AFL the last time I looked is an independent organization and is not run or beholding to the State government or Parliament.
So the Greens are being stupid if they think this will get up.While they are at why not ban the MCC members from getting favouritism?

Total BS???

Am I wrong???

I am fully aware that the AFL is an independent organisation but I think it would be nice if governments can put pressure on organisations such as the AFL to look after people more. Just remember, governments tip money into organisations as well.

Maybe coz there's a lot more of us everywhere.

That silent majority we lefties keep hearing about sure had the chance to finally break that silence in the WA election the other week, didn't they?

But no, they stayed silent.

If Trump hasn't emboldened them to finally speak out, any logical person would have to start concluding that this mysterious silent majority is indeed silent, but definitely not the majority.

There is a major gulf between the far left (Greens) and the rest of politics on the spectrum. Associating Trump with everyone who isn't in the far left is as ridiculous as it is insulting.

BTW, 91% of people in the WA election voted for parties other than the far left.

The Act doesnt require the management to go to tender if the MCC is given the role. Its only required if its someone OTHER than the MCC. And it doesnt appear to affect the MCC members area either, with options to extend the use of that regardless.

& when next the contract comes up, will IBAC give it a tick, cant see it.

Total BS!

I would have thought that's the easiest way to get what they want. As owner of the ground, the government could force the MCC to release the 25000 or so seats in their reserve to sell to the public/club members.

Simples.

Act No. 47/2002
Sports Event Ticketing (Fair Access) Act 2002

Purpose

The main purpose of this Act is to maximise access by members of the public to tickets to certain sports events by allowing the Minister to declare certain

sports events for the purposes of this Act;

and

(b) requiring the sale and distribution of tickets to declared events to be in accordance with a scheme approved by the Minister, which

may involve placing conditions on the sale or distribution of tickets to the event; and

(c) providing offences for certain breaches of an approved ticket scheme for a declared event

or of conditions on the sale or distribution of tickets to the event.

This was the purpose of the original ticketing act... as it had the opposite impact of what the purpose stated surely it would have been repealed?

You'll be shocked to know that the current legislation doesn't pretend to maximise access by members of the public to tickets to certain sports events

As we all know, the real purpose of the legislation is to maximise the revenue of the AFL and make it harder and more expensive for the average person to attend the big game

Act No. 47/2002
Sports Event Ticketing (Fair Access) Act 2002

Purpose

The main purpose of this Act is to maximise access by members of the public to tickets to certain sports events by allowing the Minister to declare certain

sports events for the purposes of this Act;

and

(b) requiring the sale and distribution of tickets to declared events to be in accordance with a scheme approved by the Minister, which

may involve placing conditions on the sale or distribution of tickets to the event
; and

(c) providing offences for certain breaches of an approved ticket scheme for a declared event

or of conditions on the sale or distribution of tickets to the event.

This was the purpose of the original ticketing act... as it had the opposite impact of what the purpose stated surely it would have been repealed?

You'll be shocked to know that the current legislation doesn't pretend to maximise access by members of the public to tickets to certain sports events

As we all know, the real purpose of the legislation is to maximise the revenue of the AFL and make it harder and more expensive for the average person to attend the big game

The Minister clearly has the power to intervene & its the members of the competing clubs that are being dudded. Yes Minister.

Last edited:
I would have thought that's the easiest way to get what they want. As owner of the ground, the government could force the MCC to release the 25000 or so seats in their reserve to sell to the public/club members.

Simples.

Why would the mcc agree to hand over its entire mcc seating on gf day? It would be a suicide note for the mcc

There is a major gulf between the far left (Greens) and the rest of politics on the spectrum. Associating Trump with everyone who isn't in the far left is as ridiculous as it is insulting.

BTW, 91% of people in the WA election voted for parties other than the far left.
Calling the Greens "far left" is equally simplistic (but not insulting, because the greater bulk of progressive thinking still resides in the left), and straight out of the Hun playbook.

If you know as much about politics as you'd like us to believe you'd know that much of the Greens' recent growth has come from disaffected Coalition voters. People who understand that great area of philosophical overlap between conservatism and environmental conservation.

Anyway we're getting off topic here.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back