U18 Champs Vic Metro

Remove this Banner Ad

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Rain hasnt helped... Not the greatest game ive ever watched... metro had the better of the allies sides or country had a much better team in?

One of the worst 'state' trials I've ever seen. Standard was poor especially Metro who basically played their worst 22 (bar a few). Allies split in half too didn't help- but a fair few of their squad members are no where near the pace and will be cut very quickly. Only a handful draftable from Metro that played today.

Reckon Allies were better last year than this year without doubt.

No1Suspect

Premiership Player
Aug 11, 2010
In the shadows
AFL Club
Carlton
One of the worst 'state' trials I've ever seen. Standard was poor especially Metro who basically played their worst 22 (bar a few). Allies split in half too didn't help- but a fair few of their squad members are no where near the pace and will be cut very quickly. Only a handful draftable from Metro that played today.

Yep!! Skills were well below par! Only caught the last quarter of the Country game. Metro have to say North was ok, Landt had a bit in the last, Penriths pressure was good had it a few times as well but cant remember a possie that hurt the opposition..... best part of the day was the hotdogs from the kiosk!

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Yep!! Skills were well below par! Only caught the last quarter of the Country game. Metro have to say North was ok, Landt had a bit in the last, Penriths pressure was good had it a few times as well but cant remember a possie that hurt the opposition..... best part of the day was the hotdogs from the kiosk!

Hot chips > Hot Dogs

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
We learnt that the depth of this years draft is questionable
Vic country had a stronger side than metro and played a weaker allies team
Not too many players enhanced their draft status in what were cold miserable conditions
I will say the fight for nick Blakey should be fierce
My top 5 from today from a draft perspective are: ballenden, floyd, langlands, crossley and meek.

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Purely from a Lions perspective how well did our academy boys play. Any reports.

I'm assuming none of the private school boys played.

What about Worpel?

Sep 2, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Purely from a Lions perspective how well did our academy boys play. Any reports.

I'm assuming none of the private school boys played.

What about Worpel?

Squads here: Worpel didn't play, was rested. Most private school boys played school footy - the ones that 'needed' to play to make the squad played.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United

Probably, but the Allies have an absolute bumper crop of underagers, will be v.strong next year.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
Melbourne - Eastern Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Well there we go, Will Sutherland named in the Vic Metro squad as expected.

Look out cricket
IMG_4573.JPG

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well with a strong squad Metro will be expected to go back-to-back.

How I'd line up Rd 1. Balta will play key def.

B: Penrith, Nolan, B.King
HB: Stoddart, Balta, Constable
C: Fogarty, Cerra, Garner
HF: Naish, McLean, Rayner
F: Higgins, Sutherland, Stephenson

Foll: Hayes, Petruccelle, North

INT: Taylor, Xerri ?, Mynott, Coffield, Wooller

Others: M.King who I expect to play - but think he might just play the games in Vic. B.King probably the same but I've slotted him in there anyway.

Not sure whether Xerri will play - McLean well and truly capable of playing ruck (as is M.King)

Brayshaw - Injured

Searle - the only '98 I could see possibly playing in the back pocket - but I wouldn't have him in the best 23.

Jones/Landt/Podhajski/Dreher have shown signs at times in trials and TAC Cup that they could slot in a pocket somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Nice
I reckon both Kings will play in the 18
I would be surprised if Petruccelle played on the ball- wing or flank for mine
I am glad you have placed Mynott in your side now. Moore may push up as well.

Well with a strong squad Metro will be expected to go back-to-back.

How I'd line up Rd 1. Balta will play key def.

B: Penrith, Nolan, B.King
HB: Stoddart, Balta, Constable
C: Fogarty, Cerra, Garner
HF: Naish, McLean, Rayner
F: Higgins, Sutherland, Stephenson

Foll: Hayes, Petruccelle, North

INT: Taylor, Xerri ?, Mynott, Coffield, Wooller

Others: M.King who I expect to play - but think he might just play the games in Vic. B.King probably the same but I've slotted him in there anyway.

Not sure whether Xerri will play - McLean well and truly capable of playing ruck (as is M.King)

Brayshaw - Injured

Searle - the only '98 I could see possibly playing in the back pocket - but I wouldn't have him in the best 23.

Jones/Landt/Podhajski/Dreher have shown signs at times in trials and TAC Cup that they could slot in a pocket somewhere.

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Nice
I reckon both Kings will play in the 18
I would be surprised if Petruccelle played on the ball- wing or flank for mine
I am glad you have placed Mynott in your side now. Moore may push up as well.

Petruccelle for me plays much better on the inside and his contested possession numbers are much higher than I expected 60%. Kicking poor to play on outside, a few times on Sunday his kicks off the flanks were putrid.

Mynott & Moore been superb for Caulfield Grammar - hope they both get a gig.

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
This was very very hard
B: Podhajski B.King Styles
HB: Coffield Balta Garner
C: Naish Rayner Brayshaw
HF: Petruccelle McLean Wooler
F: Higgins M.King Stephenson

R: Hayes Cerra L.Fogarty

I: Nolan, Constable, Sutherland, Mynott, Stoddart, Moore

Number of players including North very stiff. Dreher fighting for Styles and Stoddart's spots he is stiff aswell

Bytel, Penrith, Taylor, Landt and Lentini could all easily play well if given a chance

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
This was very very hard
B: Podhajski B.King Styles
HB: Coffield Balta Garner
C: Naish Rayner Brayshaw
HF: Petruccelle McLean Wooler
F: Higgins M.King Stephenson

R: Hayes Cerra L.Fogarty

I: Nolan, Constable, Sutherland, Mynott, Stoddart, Moore

Number of players including North very stiff. Dreher fighting for Styles and Stoddart's spots he is stiff aswell

Bytel, Penrith, Taylor, Landt and Lentini could all easily play well if given a chance
I reckon Taylor is better than 6 of these blokes at least

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
Name them
Podhajlski
Styles
Coffield
Woolley
Petruccelle
Nolan
Stoddart
McLean
Moore
Obviously don't all play same position
He is a bottom ager so he may not get first up chance

eDPS

Premium Platinum
Nov 4, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Podhajlski
Styles
Coffield
Woolley
Petruccelle
Nolan
Stoddart
McLean
Moore
Obviously don't all play same position
He is a bottom ager so he may not get first up chance
None of those players are half forwards besides Petruccelle and no way in hell he plays over him anyway. Picking him over Coffield and Wooler is laughable he is knowhere near them yet

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I have heard it elsewhere so I will ask it here.

Are you (or anyone else) of the opinion that this years draft will be shallow (i.e. not much value after the 30's)?

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I have heard it elsewhere so I will ask it here.

Are you (or anyone else) of the opinion that this years draft will be shallow (i.e. not much value after the 30's)?

Yep. As always clubs can pluck some gems late, but I wouldn't want to be in Hawthorn's situation and picking all their picks after 30. Next years talls are far greater than this years.

foj1

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2005
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
essendon
None of those players are half forwards besides Petruccelle and no way in hell he plays over him anyway. Picking him over Coffield and Wooler is laughable he is knowhere near them yet
Reckon Taylor will be a better afl player than both of them

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just wondering what sort of coverage there is. FOXTEL? Afl.com? Does anyone know the dates and times they'll be shown?

Bishop

Club Legend
May 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Just wondering what sort of coverage there is. FOXTEL? Afl.com? Does anyone know the dates and times they'll be shown?

5 games Fox Footy.
Rd 2 SA v Allies
Rd 4 VC v WA
Rd 4 VM v SA
Rd 5 VM v Allies
Rd 6 VC v SA

Possibility of Rd 3 VM v VC on AFL.com.au but haven't heard the latest on that

Remove this Banner Ad

Back