Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

.... very team has some advantages and some disadvantages, and no two teams have the exact same set of advantages and disadvantages, I don’t agree that they balance out across the board. You do, as do a lot of fans, and that impasse is where these threads are born from.

Succinct :thumbsu:
IN the Melbourne (exclude Geelong to narrow the range), North, the Dogs, the Saints have poor stadium deals & the AFL show NIL intent fixing it, they organised the deals.

Home ground advantage isn’t about travelling.

Chelsea V Arsenal at Stamford bridge, no travel but home ground advantage exists.

Hawthorn travel to Tassie, supposedly retain their home ground advantage.

Totally agree, I have no idea exactly what it is but the facts are there across any sport in the world that when you are the away team you will lose far more often than you win. It makes no difference what sport, what game of the season it is. It’s always been the same and will never change.

Statistically yes he holds multiple records that will stand the test of time all at one club which shows great character.
Unfortunately it’s impossible to compare eras Because of rule changes, playing conditions and I’m not 150 years old to see with my own eyes,
All I have is data and farmers is bradman esq.
In years past if a sanfl team won Australian championship and SA beat vic in the same year how can you claim total superiority?
What’s the metric for who had the superior 80 years ago.
All legends thrive where ever they go he didn’t leave his first club because he was a loyal gentleman that never played footy because of money.
Isn’t that the definition of a true legend of Aussie rules?
It is for me, for you maybe a money chaser and a druggy with inferior records might be your idea of legend.
Let’s agree to disagree.
please never grace the boards with any loyalty jibes about your players.
Have a nice day!
Scott Hodges must be better than John Coleman then. Back to your bogan SA bubble son. I love your use of Bradman. They name a road after a bloke who moved there later in his career

On moto g(7) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

How much could they have got for it if they shopped it around.
Who knows? But we know that only twelve months prior the WA govt went to the AFL to ask for cash to pay for their shiny new stadium. Doubtful they would have changed their tune completely and forked out cash for the GF to be played there.

Scott Hodges must be better than John Coleman then. Back to your bogan SA bubble son. I love your use of Bradman. They name a road after a bloke who moved there later in his career

AFL was the superior league when Hodges was playing.
I concede VFL was a superior comp from the 70s when dollars
(And the country getting smaller through communication/transport technology advancements)
started attracting the best talent from around the country.

Last edited:
AFL was the superior league when Hodges was playing.
I concede VFL was a superior comp from the 70s when dollars
(And the country getting smaller through communication/transport technology advancements)
started attracting the best talent from around the country.
So you do realise that Ablett and Lockett played in the AFL? Seems like you're contradicting yourself here

totally different sport. Money is a difference maker in the EPL
Home ground advantage is bigger in the EPL
Totally agree, I have no idea exactly what it is but the facts are there across any sport in the world that when you are the away team you will lose far more often than you win. It makes no difference what sport, what game of the season it is. It’s always been the same and will never change.
The covid experience and games behind closed doors with no fans all of a sudden showing playing at home isn’t an advantage.

It really should be renamed home fan advantage.

What delusion, its not the 1920s ask your older bro, its a national comp & when you travel you are at an advantage, when you play a travelling side you have an advantage. Away with you !!
Yeah this is your problem.

You think a team travelling can be at an advantage, ie Hawthorn in Tassie, Melbourne in the NT.

You just flip flop to suit whatever whinge you have got going.

The biggest part of home ‘ground’ advantage is crowd. It is a poorly named concept and should be referenced as home fan advantage.

That is why Geelong, WC, Adelaide all enjoy significant advantage when playing at home as they play in sold out stadiums that are 90-95% all going for the home team. That is what gives the advantage.

That is what the Melbourne clubs lost, to foster the big $$$ that are created from 80K crowds at the G between two big Melbourne clubs, the Melbourne clubs lost the opportunity to play ‘home’ games in front of 25k raucous fans packed in on top of the players at venues like VicPark and Optus Oval.

Instead now playing in front of 3/4 empty Etihad or MCG.

Hawthorn travelling to Tassie were still able to create an environment where they built up strong support, so they were able to actually create the ‘home’ type crowd albeit with 15k fans in the boutique stand.

And the important bit is that the fans influence the umpires, more free kicks, fouls etc are awarded to the home team. When they have looked at things like free throw conversion, it doesn’t fluctuate whether you have a crowd yelling and booing at you (away) or being at home in the quiet.

The rest of the bleating is just that, bleating.

Sleeping in hotels...where do you think Olympic athletes stay during Olympics, when they are breaking personal bests etc.

If the fans aren’t there the advantage is gone, which is what covid playing behind close doors is already starting to confirm.

Agree.

But the rules are different.

If the rules were the same for Vic, SA and WA I would be happy.

I think the AFL should be split. One that runs the competition, and one that looks after grass roots and growing new areas.

Agree on splitting the AFL. I'd have 3...competition, development and a 3rd for rules/integrity/umpiring. They can be arms length divisions in the same overall organisation if required, but they need to be treated separately.

As for 'same rules'. Trouble is, the rules need to adapt to different circumstances.

As an example, look at the father son rule when SA & WA clubs came in.

Same rule (sons of fathers who played 100 games for THAT CLUB) would have meant they had no possible candidates, and wouldn't for a generation. Same rule, but clearly an unfair result.

So the compromise rule was that players who had played 150 or 200 games at particular WAFL/SANFL clubs would qualify, the idea being that the higher number of games would balance out the higher number of clubs and by doing this would provide a similar number of qualified fathers and presumably a similar number of eligible sons. Different rule, but roughly similar result. While imperfect, This seems the fairest outcome.

Yet people still complained and wanted the 'same' rule (100 games) to apply to each of the multiple WAFL/SANFL clubs, thus giving 4/5 times as many eligible sons Different rule, different result, but people still insisted this was 'fair'. (this was pre #VICBIAS, but doubtless would have been described that way)

For indigenous academies (actually they cover people from non traditional backgrounds as well...primarily immigrants). If they are insisting on having them, then the idea should be that all clubs get roughly similar results. Obviously there will be good and bad years, but if one club has 100,000 kids eligible for their academy and another has only 10,000, then it's not 'fair' and the outcomes will be heavily skewed. My solution would be to balance the result by giving clubs a limited number of players they can get (and I'd include Father son in this)...e.g over 5 years you can get a maximum of 1 1st rounder, 1 2nd rounder, 1 3rd rounder, 1 4th rounder & 1 5th rounder (and any number of rookies)...If other clubs bid for a player you can't take (or wont because you have your eye on a guy next year...), bad luck, they get him. I'd also cut or limit the discounts that apply...being able to match a bid should be advantage enough.

No its travel that is a disadvantage, e.g the Perth teams benefit at Optus Stadium just not when they play each other.
The advantage comes from the crowd.

WC benefit from playing in front of 55-60k Eagles fans with minimal opposition supporters 10 times a year.

Collingwood get that, perhaps 4 times per year if we are lucky. We always have 5 games where we play an opponent who has the 95% crowd support.

Travelling to 10 times in a six month period compared to others who go 5-9 times is the trade off for actually having 10 games where you have a proper fan advantage.

And seriously, the majority of the clubs travel is a fecking 75 min flight, doing that 10-11 times in six months is hardly arduous for a pampered professional athlete.

WC benefit from playing in front of 55-60k Eagles fans with minimal opposition supporters 10 times a year.

Collingwood get that, perhaps 4 times per year if we are lucky. We always have 5 games where we play an opponent who has the 95% crowd support.

Travelling to 10 times in a six month period compared to others who go 5-9 times is the trade off for actually having 10 games where you have a proper fan advantage.

And seriously, the majority of the clubs travel is a fecking 75 min flight, doing that 10-11 times in six months is hardly arduous for a pampered professional athlete.

I'm about the competition & equity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm about the competition & equity.
Na, your are that tunnel visioned on travel that you can’t see the big picture.

Travel isn’t an equity problem that actual impacts results, it is just geography.

The problem is some clubs getting to play more games with a huge home fan advantage, whilst others are shunted between two stadiums and don’t play games with a fan advantage (often actually selling games to further advantage the teams who enjoy a home fan advantage).

Na, your are that tunnel visioned on travel that you can’t see the big picture.

Travel isn’t an equity problem that actual impacts results, it is just geography.

The problem is some clubs getting to play more games with a huge home fan advantage, whilst others are shunted between two stadiums and don’t play games with a fan advantage (often actually selling games to further advantage the teams who enjoy a home fan advantage).

Ahh, but you forget rule 1 of the #VICBIAS whingers.

Anything that effects West Coast in any way is automatically a disadvantage to West Coast and Victorians are to blame.

Who travels only 75 minutes in a a plane??
Melbourne to perth is 5 hours. Then another hour to fluff about getting baggage & getting and uber home..

After playing a taxing game of footy in Melbourne wouldnt you rather catch an uber home & get a good night's sleep???
Or begin injury management. Or be able to decompress after the game.
Anything but fold up your sore body into tiny seats & smell peoples farts for 5 hours.

Who travels only 75 minutes in a a plane??
Melbourne to perth is 5 hours. Then another hour to fluff about getting baggage & getting and uber home.
The majority of plane trips are less than 2 hours

Brisbane to Adelaide/Tassie is 2 hr 30min.

16 of the teams are east of Nullarbor, they are just quick trips to play each other ie Adelaide to Melbourne, Sydney to Adelaide, Brisbane to Sydnet etc.

It is laughable that SA teams think they are hard done by, and even funnier that WA fans don’t complain about how easy teams from SA and NSW actually have it

After playing a taxing game of footy in Melbourne wouldnt you rather catch an uber home & get a good night's sleep???
Or begin injury management. Or be able to decompress after the game.
Anything but fold up your sore body into tiny seats & smell peoples farts for 5 hours.
Pies players seem to enjoy being away, heading back as a club to hotel, do warm down in pool/gym etc. whilst supervised by fitness team, debrief and then relax and get a good night sleep without distractions.

It really isn’t that big an issue

selling games to further advantage the teams who enjoy a home fan advantage).

A home fan advantage, we all know that is a factor.

Clubs sell games to improve their bottom line in a saturated market place, but thats a different story in a covid 19 FIXture.

Guess we need to agree to disagree.

How long does it take to get through Immigration in Perth though.

Immigration??

Despite what a few people on here seem to suggest both Western Australia & Victoria are still part of the same country ;)

Immigration??

Despite what a few people on here seem to suggest both Western Australia & Victoria are still part of the same country ;)
Most West Australians understand and speak English too, which is pretty convenient if any of you are thinking of taking the 36 hour flight there.

1st, 2nd, 5th & 6th receiving home finals. The entire system needs to be written as Richmond won 2 flags from a rather dodgy loophole. Provided they come up against Geelong in finals they can afford to drop 1-2 games over the season compared to all other finalists and finish 3rd/4th (but really receiving the same advantage as 1st/2nd)

This could occur with any MCG tenant against Geelong. ie Geelong finish top 2 and a Melbourne club that finishes 3rd/4th is fixtured against them. 1st/2nd gets swapped to 3rd/4th on the ladder and 3rd/4th becomes 1st/2nd. It's ridiculous and the entire difference between a premiership
Which loophole did we use in 2019? Finished 3rd, travelled to Brisbane, won, hosted Geelong in prelim, played lower ranked GWS in GF.
And anything we got in 2017 was returned in 2018 when we finished two games and percentage clear on top, and got rewarded with two completely neutral finals. Swings and roundabouts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back