Opinion VICBias - Genuine Discussion

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm suggesting it is, test the logistics but with a capacity of 100k there is plenty of flex for 2 games that draw 30k crowds, you dont allocate 2 people to one seat.
Do it ar Docklands & fill the place, yes some will miss out.

I'm suggesting it isn't and not from a capacity issue. Clearly from a capacity issue it would be fine and if you were going to do it one group of supporters would be cleared out before the next is let in. Why charge someone more if they are only interested in one game? And really, what is the benefit? Staff still need to be paid, food and drinks still need to be stocked, electricity is still paid for.

If there was a benefit I think it would already be happening.

#VICBIAS can be summed up perfectly by the Hall of Fame and especially the Legends category.

Until Russell Ebert and Ken Farmer are elevated and the numbers are more reflective of the history of the game nationally, it can go do one.

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
Use the Hawks example, see how money fixed the Tiges problems off field & on field success followed. The Docklands tenants currently claim they lose money playing there & the sure battle to make a real profit, forget the PR spin.

I'd like fair dinkum H & A too, but its not possible unless Covid 19 is even worse than we imagine (a depression).
Its a dud for the comp we have.

Richmond got rich due to bulk of members. It's why Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon don't need to sell games. It's why the AFL is trying to limit rich club spending to bring the less well-resourced clubs back in with a fighting chance. The Docklands tenants (not all - Essendon clearly did well out of it) cried poor when the AFL didn't own the stadium. Now that the AFL run it they have less issues making money at the ground (supposedly).

I take it you would want either a 17 or 34 game season? I think everyone wants that. I don't think scrapping the current H&A would help get there though or 'even' out the competition. All I envision so far is poor clubs getting poorer - either on the field or off it.

Teams being rewarded with prime time games by being great teams, instead of just being big(ish) would help too.

How the Carlton v Richmond game to start the season became a thing is one of many reasons much of what goes on in this league is a load of horseshit.

So many great rivalries over the years have never once had a great time slot. Port Adelaide v Brisbane (2001-2004) had some of the greatest games in modern history, ditto West Coast v Sydney (2005-2007). The argument it's all about ratings doesn't wash either. As neutrals, football fans don't watch games because two big clubs are involved. They watch games because the best teams are. I'll watch Richmond v Collingwood this year because form dictates that it'll be a great game. But in AFL land Carlton v Essendon hold as much caveat. That's the flaw.

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I am surprised you want me to explain the obvious Victorian bias in your statement...``The Grand Final is played at the MCG. It's not a new phenomenon and guess what it ain't changing for awhile`` maybe you can explain to me how that statement is not in the best interests of Victorian clubs?
Again how is it bias? Is it also biased towards teams who use the MCG as their home ground as opposed to Marvel for example?

On moto g(7) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Aug 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Ablett Senior is one of the greatest ever. Does he get a run?
#VICBIAS can be summed up perfectly by the Hall of Fame and especially the Legends category.

Until Russell Ebert and Ken Farmer are elevated and the numbers are more reflective of the history of the game nationally, it can go do one.

On moto g(7) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am surprised you want me to explain the obvious Victorian bias in your statement...``The Grand Final is played at the MCG. It's not a new phenomenon and guess what it ain't changing for awhile`` maybe you can explain to me how that statement is not in the best interests of Victorian clubs?
There's no statistical evidence that the Grand final at the MCG is any advantage to Victorian clubs. No one's provided any evidence in this or any other thread on this board of VICBias except to stick their fingers in their ear and scream "Twavel!!"
When asked for evidence that travel results in bias, they throw themselves on the ground and stamp their feet and scream "But twavel!!!!"

So let's have a look at travel using very basic maths and logic.
If we start with the position that travel is a disadvantage then non travel must be an advantage. Let's say travel = -1 non travel = +1.
In West Coast's case they travel 10 times = -10
They play at home 10 times against teams that travel = +10
They play twice at home against another home state club = 0
so the sum total is 0.
Therefore their is both no advantage and no disadvantage in the home and away season for the West Coast Eagles when we consider travel alone.

Thus, if the Eagles are disadvantaged in the home and away season, it's not because of travel.

In the finals, Non Victorian clubs get to play their home games on their home ground. No disadvantage there.

So that just leaves the Grand final.
"But Twavel!!!!!!" I hear you whinge?
Well, of course, if travel is a disadvantage in the Grand final, there'd be some statistical evidence. Ie. Victorian clubs would be more likely to win grand finals against non Victorian clubs. Yet we know that Grand finals between Victorian clubs and Non Victorian clubs are dead even. So no disadvantage there either.

Looks like the West Coast Whingers don't have a legitimate whinge when it comes to travel. They'll have to find some other reason to justify their entitlement to be gifted undeserved and unearned premierships.
Sorry guys.

PerthblueGold

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
There's no statistical evidence that the Grand final at the MCG is any advantage to Victorian clubs. No one's provided any evidence in this or any other thread on this board of VICBias except to stick their fingers in their ear and scream "Twavel!!"
When asked for evidence that travel results in bias, they throw themselves on the ground and stamp their feet and scream "But twavel!!!!"

So let's have a look at travel using very basic maths and logic.
If we start with the position that travel is a disadvantage then non travel must be an advantage. Let's say travel = -1 non travel = +1.
In West Coast's case they travel 10 times = -10
They play at home 10 times against teams that travel = +10
They play twice at home against another home state club = 0
so the sum total is 0.
Therefore their is both no advantage and no disadvantage in the home and away season for the West Coast Eagles when we consider travel alone.

Thus, if the Eagles are disadvantaged in the home and away season, it's not because of travel.

In the finals, Non Victorian clubs get to play their home games on their home ground. No disadvantage there.

So that just leaves the Grand final.
"But Twavel!!!!!!" I hear you whinge?
Well, of course, if travel is a disadvantage in the Grand final, there'd be some statistical evidence. Ie. Victorian clubs would be more likely to win grand finals against non Victorian clubs. Yet we know that Grand finals between Victorian clubs and Non Victorian clubs are dead even. So no disadvantage there either.

Looks like the West Coast Whingers don't have a legitimate whinge when it comes to travel. They'll have to find some other reason to justify their entitlement to be gifted undeserved and unearned premierships.
Sorry guys.
So you would be ok with WC playing their last 8 games at Optus and then have home finals (I know Richmond travelled to Brisbane last year) as well as then hosting the GF @Optus?

Hank Heavenly

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Apr 10, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
East Fremantle
From an Eagles point of view the WA team hub interstate will be tolerated for about six weeks and beyond that the players and squad may just go home to their families and homes etc.
haven't they basically agreed to the possibility of 8 weeks up there (round 9) with 8 weeks at home or something similar?

Ace It Up

Debutant
Apr 21, 2009
Balla
AFL Club
Carlton
Teams being rewarded with prime time games by being great teams, instead of just being big(ish) would help too.

How the Carlton v Richmond game to start the season became a thing is one of many reasons much of what goes on in this league is a load of horseshit.

So many great rivalries over the years have never once had a great time slot. Port Adelaide v Brisbane (2001-2004) had some of the greatest games in modern history, ditto West Coast v Sydney (2005-2007). The argument it's all about ratings doesn't wash either. As neutrals, football fans don't watch games because two big clubs are involved. They watch games because the best teams are. I'll watch Richmond v Collingwood this year because form dictates that it'll be a great game. But in AFL land Carlton v Essendon hold as much caveat. That's the flaw.
I am sure there are many like me, that after months of no football are eagerly awaiting the opening game (and round) of the new season.Regardless of who, I believe the question why them two teams would always be asked. IMO that questioning would be lessened and anticipation and interest increased if the previous year GF combatants opened the season. I am sure a GF "rematch" would appease the broadcasters dollars wise. However, depending on who these two teams are, it can create other problems. I believe day light savings are factored into the AFL's decision. Any game held east of WA can be played at a time that will cater for the larger/est tv audiences. An Optus oval Thursday (afternoon) game (especially during DLS) has long been frowned on by WA based teams/supporters. A later start at Optus will not be considered based on possible lower E/S tv audience viewing/exposure. I am from WA. This is not a vic-attack or a WA whinge. I fortunate that I can arrange any commitments to ensure I home in time to watch games broadcast. Fact, my only whinge is that we don't have DLS.

So you would be ok with WC playing their last 8 games at Optus and then have home finals (I know Richmond travelled to Brisbane last year) as well as then hosting the GF @Optus?
You do realise that if you played your last 8 games at Optus, you’d only be able to play 4 of your first 14 there don’t you?

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
You do realise that if you played your last 8 games at Optus, you’d only be able to play 4 of your first 14 there don’t you?

You do realise Vic clubs get to host non Vic clubs in finals also yes? No advantage there?
Look I am not one who gets caught up in the travel thing, it’s just geography and part of being in a national comp. I also understand fully why Vic clubs don’t travel as much and have no issue with that either.
You are correct that just looking at stats it says it’s equal and that’s fair enough, I Would Only say different sides at different times has to be taken into account.
I have no idea what the advantage on GF day is but I believe it exists and it is exactly the same as a Vic side playing a prelim in Perth. History of all sports is clear that home sides win far more often than they lose in all sports. That does not change on a day you play for a cup. Is it mental, travel, broken up week, etc etc? I actually don’t know but it’s something and it’s just opinions on how great it is all how small it is.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

I would say one thing on that, we have learned that even great teams playing in an empty stadium kinda sucks. So there is something that Carlton vs Essendon brings even when both teams are down on their luck

PerthblueGold

Debutant
Sep 30, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes...but even so I would think there would be a greater chance of WC winning the premiership under those conditions (including the GF being held @ Optus)..and I doubt very much there would be no complaints from Victoria..it`s a wasted argument ,however it does show up the lob sided effect.

Yes...but even so I would think there would be a greater chance of WC winning the premiership under those conditions (including the GF being held @ Optus)..and I doubt very much there would be no complaints from Victoria..it`s a wasted argument ,however it does show up the lob sided effect.
I get that some West Coast supporters feel their club was entitled to an unearned 2019 premiership. I, on the other hand, think Richmond were worthy winners.
Does that make me an arrogant winner and you a gracious loser? I don't know, and I don't really care.

You do realise Vic clubs get to host non Vic clubs in finals also yes? No advantage there?
Non Vic clubs also get to host finals. Are you saying Vic clubs shouldn't?

I have no idea what the advantage on GF day is but I believe it exists
If only you had some evidence to support your belief.

and it is exactly the same as a Vic side playing a prelim in Perth.
I'm not sure of the evidence here, but I would imagine a prelim in Perth holds a considerable advantage for the W.A. club. Happy to be corrected. What's the record for West Australian clubs in prelims in Perth?

Last edited:
Statistically speaking tells you what - statistically speaking all clubs play in a GF every 10 years (excuse the decimal points).
Does that indicate what ....
What statistics tell you that every club played in a grand final in the last 10 years?

When you stop hiding, see you then.
Hiding from what? Your fantastical imaginary 'facts'?
In your mind, does making up delusionary s**t help justify your feelings of victimisation and the subsequent need to whinge infernally?

Apr 22, 2007
Bentleigh
AFL Club
Geelong
I get that some West Coast supporters feel their club was entitled to an unearned 2019 premiership. I, on the other hand, think Richmond were worthy winners.
Does that make me an arrogant winner and you a gracious loser? I don't know, and I don't really care.
Surely not even the most parochial Eagles supporter believes they were somehow robbed of the 2019 flag.

Boston tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2010
Where it all began
AFL Club
Richmond

I’m happy for West Coast to have terrible draw at the start of the season and then evened up at the end. Some clubs can handle it but most wont. Some coaches get the sack mid season .. your bloke would obviously survive having just won a premiership.

West Coast playing 12/13 derbies? No rest for the wicked there.

Back