Vickery, McKernan?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Crows thought the same about Tambling, and look at how that turned out.

Sam Grimley is the one that has impressed me, he is the leading goal kickers in the VFL and has improved a lot in the 2nd half of year. Hopefully the crows will trade their 3rd round pick from Griffin, which we can pass on to the Hawks to get Grimley.

The other player I would look at is Shane Kersten, he would be a great 3rd tall and would compliment Apeness and Taberner very well.

He would be a good Fwd\Ruck for the next few years, if he came cheaply it would be a no brainer.

You are not going to get Ryder cheap he will cost us big money and he will want a long contract 3 or 4 years .
He is top shelf and is under contract to Essendon so we will have to not only offer him big dollars but a first round draft pick or quality player as well .
This is a no brainer . We get a quality player that is a exactly what we need .

You are not going to get Ryder cheap he will cost us big money and he will want a long contract 3 or 4 years .
He is top shelf and is under contract to Essendon so we will have to not only offer him big dollars but a first round draft pick or quality player as well .

Their is talk the bombers breached his contract so he could walk for nothing. At the very least we could use this to drive a hard bargain.

Their is talk the bombers breached his contract so he could walk for nothing. At the very least we could use this to drive a hard bargain.
The AFL have stated last year that if any Essendon player wants to leave the club because of the ASADA investigation they can leave \break their contract .
Ryder can leave but Essendon would have to be compensated by the Club they go to because he is not a free agent and he is contracted .
So we would still have to do a deal .

Not sure if this has been proven incorrect but it has been said he can walk to any club he wants due to a breach of duty of care (re ASADA) If this is the case, we'd have to pay big coin, but we wouldn't have to give up a thing. Apparently it's going to be one of the NSW or QLD clubs that gets him anyway. Both Gold Coast and Brissy would have big coin to offer. I doubt even Sydney would have the salary cap space for him, and I doubt too many people would prefer to live in west Sydney over the gold coast or Brisbane.

Not sure if this has been proven incorrect but it has been said he can walk to any club he wants due to a breach of duty of care (re ASADA) If this is the case, we'd have to pay big coin, but we wouldn't have to give up a thing. Apparently it's going to be one of the NSW or QLD clubs that gets him anyway. Both Gold Coast and Brissy would have big coin to offer. I doubt even Sydney would have the salary cap space for him, and I doubt too many people would prefer to live in west Sydney over the gold coast or Brisbane.

Every player in the AFL wants a premiership medal around their neck and Ryder would know we are in our premiership window . Brisbane , Gold Coast and GWS are nowhere near a GF so we have currency to offer him that they can't so we should be working our asses off to get him .

Surprised the guy Essendon chose instead of Mick Barlow hasn't got a run in this thread.
Hardingham is looking for a new home..
If he's looking for opportunity, I'm not sure we're the right club for him. Our midfield is already pretty stacked and if deBoer and Suban are not getting a game at the minute, I find it hard to believe that he'd get one, at least regularly.

Every player in the AFL wants a premiership medal around their neck and Ryder would know we are in our premiership window . Brisbane , Gold Coast and GWS are nowhere near a GF so we have currency to offer him that they can't so we should be working our asses off to get him .
That is a good point, but I think he could command quite a bit more on the Gold coast and realistically in 2 years they should be pushing for a premiership. Sounds funny considering they didn't make the 8 this year. But, with the natural progression of their list I can't see them not being a genuine shot with players like Ablett (who I think will still be going strong in 2 years) O'meara, Bennell, Martin, Swallow, Prestia et.al going through the middle and then you theoretically have Ryder and Lynch up forward with Matera crumbing. They're going to be a powerful unit. From the way Caro was talking on Monday night (not that she'd really know) he wants to go to a non traditional football state, probably because he's sick of being in the media every day in a negative fashion. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him at Freo (I see him in the backline personally) I just think he'll be another one that got away.

Wouldn't want either of them. Vickery's just not that good -- plus, after what he did to Dean Cox, if he moved to Perth, he'd have to have 24-hr. security protecting him from angry Eagles' fans ;) -- and McKernan, it seems, has teased the footy world with flashes of talent, but hasn't been consistently good. Might be interested in Carlton's Jarrad Waite, though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jake Carlyle wants out from Essendon as well . If we can't get Patty then Carlyle is not a bad replacement . It has been reported on Fox Footy that 4 clubs are in the race for him .
Robbo said that he has 2 years to go on his contract but the escape clause that Ryder is using would apply to him as well and maybe Heppell could also be on the radar as well .
Robbo's statement was that after 2 years of mental torment of the ASADA investigation is possibly having an effect on the players willingness to stay at Essendon .
Essendon can take the cases to the AFL but they would loose because the mental stress experienced by the players would be just cause for them leaving .

Would almost take Vickery just to have another player to stir up West Coast players and fans, don't rate him as a ruckman but I do like him as a forward and from memory he has done well against us at Subi in the past so not completely against it. Don't like his faux tough man act nor his obvious poor discipline.

However if Carlisle indeed wants out as coulda suggests he'd have to be the top priority, Hurley without the hype.

Jake Carlyle wants out from Essendon as well . If we can't get Patty then Carlyle is not a bad replacement . It has been reported on Fox Footy that 4 clubs are in the race for him .
Robbo said that he has 2 years to go on his contract but the escape clause that Ryder is using would apply to him as well and maybe Heppell could also be on the radar as well .
Robbo's statement was that after 2 years of mental torment of the ASADA investigation is possibly having an effect on the players willingness to stay at Essendon .
Essendon can take the cases to the AFL but they would loose because the mental stress experienced by the players would be just cause for them leaving .
Carlisle for mine. Ryder is the better player, but I doubt we can afford him. Plus Carlisle as he's what 23 or so? Just coming into the peak of his powers. Would slot in nicely in the backline. Not that we'd have to give anything up, but I'd be happy to part with our first round and Suban or Sheridan.

No they won't.
of course they would.
they'd want a top 10 pick for Jake King, but they wouldn't get it
They'd love a top 10 pick for Vickery, but with the improvement in Griffiths (I liked him last year), they could entertain swapping him for a pick quite a bit after top 10.
With an ageing Maric, could they want our Clarke?
A Z Clarke swap with Vickery, perhaps with picks swapped as well could benefit both clubs.
Tigers get an heir apparent for Maric, who could conceivably surpass Maric as early as next year in the number 1 rucking position, & Freo get a tall forward who is a very good second ruck, not a ruck forced to play as a forward for much of the game.
Surely Ross & co could turn Vickery into an even better footballer.

Carlisle for mine. Ryder is the better player, but I doubt we can afford him. Plus Carlisle as he's what 23 or so? Just coming into the peak of his powers. Would slot in nicely in the backline. Not that we'd have to give anything up, but I'd be happy to part with our first round and Suban or Sheridan.
I want Carlisle for Freo as much as any other player, but how about our first pick for Jaeger?

I wouldn't want to get Vickery based on the fact that he'd be murdered by West Coast fans before he ever got to play a game for us.
how would they "murder him"?
with constant whingeing?
hitting him with handbags?
sharing their illegal substances with him?
drowning him in chardonnay?
getting him to hang our with masto & shazza?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back