Vickery retires

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably for the best...best of luck to him. Would have been great to see him turn it around and play well next year but was a long shot...

And with that, we're back in Premiership contention.

Jokes aside, this is probably the best thing for Ty. He had a year filled with scrutiny from the media, the neutral supporters, some Hawthorn supporters and the police. It must have been overwhelming. Taking a step back and enjoying the quiet life will hopefully be more enjoyable for him. Wish him all the best for the future.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a load of s**t that his salary counts against the club despite him forfeiting his duties as a player, what kind of rubbish set up is that? The TV recruitment has been one of the biggest and costly balls up we've had in terms of recruiting in a long time.

Just pray Jags stays healthy.

What a load of s**t that his salary counts against the club despite him forfeiting his duties as a player, what kind of rubbish set up is that? The TV recruitment has been one of the biggest and costly balls up we've had in terms of recruiting in a long time.

the same setup that has been around for a long time
The AFL made sure Sydney understood this with Buddy

Brisbane suffered salary cap hell in part from Voss retiring during his contract

at least it's only this year, and we already had the space in the cap, no impact moving forward

Yep as per the Buddy rule at the Swans if he retires early, salary promised to a Free Agent on a deal (even if not actually paid out if we've negotiated a smaller actual cash payout) would remain part of our 2018 salary cap calculations

Didn't cost us any picks or players. Chalk it down to salary dumping to meet TPP minimums and look forward to what the next FA period will deliver.

Otherwise, goodluck Ty and thanks for your time with us.

I'm not as bothered by his recruitment as others were. It happened a hot minute after we did the three peat and also at a time that the salary cap was getting increased. 500k is a lot of money but it's also not as big a % of our salary cap as it would have been last year or 3 years ago.

We tried something, it didn't work, we're moving on. I wish him well in whatever he does after footy and hope that people will let him live his life without the continuous barrage of insults.

Incorrect.
Any retirement is paid outside the cap, with the exception of long-term “enticing” deals - Franklin, Boyd etc

No. All salary of a player contracted for a particular year is carried in the salary cap regardless of whether the player actually is registered for that year. Hawthorn will carry the full $500,000 for Vickery's 2018 salary in the cap for 2018.

It does mean that Hawthorn has $500,000 available for 2019 and beyond, but that would already be factored into Hawthorn's player management strategy as there was no way he would have been with the club in 2019 even if Vickery hadn't retired.

Wow. Assume that means we do not have to pay out his contract this year, which can then be used for Gaff and Lynch next year !!!

He'll get something from the club, but certainly not the $500,000 he would have been paid had he stayed for 12 months. But the salary will still count against Hawthorn's cap for 12 months.

No. All salary of a player contracted for a particular year is carried in the salary cap regardless of whether the player actually is registered for that year. Hawthorn will carry the full $500,000 for Vickery's 2018 salary in the cap for 2018.

It does mean that Hawthorn has $500,000 available for 2019 and beyond, but that would already be factored into Hawthorn's player management strategy as there was no way he would have been with the club in 2019 even if Vickery hadn't retired.

I am not overly knowledgeable on how AFL Player Contracts specifically work, but I am fairly sure it can be paid outside the cap. As Ty was the party who decided to retire it should amount to either a repudiation of contract or a termination of contract by agreement, meaning that he wouldn't form part of our 2018 cap as he is the terminating party (this is at a general contract level). I think if a player is injured coming into their final playing year on a contract, then their salary will form part of that years cap, a self-elected retirement will not.

Note, I could be wrong - you may be more knowledgeable on this matter than I am :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back