Vickery retires

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit surprised but wish him all the best :)

However, just heard Wrighty's interview and it seems he stays on our list so not really happy about that given he was the one that pulled the pin.

It has never been my style to speak ill of Hawthorn players, but really, I thought Vickery retired when he left Richmond.

Me neither but after observing him at a couple of games at Box Hill last year (not every game mind you) I am on record as saying he did not appear to be really putting in. I didn't want us to recruit him but backed him while he was with us but found that disappointing. I bear him no ill will though and wish him, Arina :tennisball: and the cats :catface: :catface: :catface: all the best.

"he will be the next david hale" and "once he learns the hawthorn game plan..." were always a couple of quotes that made me giggle

I always get a good giggle when I read 'Hawthorn' as your team supported on your profile too.

Christmas has come early.

Same day as Jake King was in court over the business issue..

All the best Ty and thank you for doing the best thing by the club.

First Hodgey, now Vickery - how many hits can supporters take?
But seriously, he had issues in his private life and clearly they affected him. And Roughie’s great recovery probably did him out of a role.

And I do have one great memory of the Vickmeister: I was in Sydney this year for the game where he passed to Roughie for the winning goal. That was a great win and an even better night at the pub afterwards.

Good luck with sitting in the sun watching tennis, Ty.

Whilst I am sure he is really nice guy like some of alluded to here, his recruitment will go down as one of, if not, the worst recruit in the history of the club.

Argue all you like, but it will honestly be hard to beat as the worst ever. And yes, I know he was recruited as a free agent and not traded for anyone. The $$$ he was paid and length of term was an utter embarrassment and the club should be ashamed.

upload_2017-11-15_9-48-29.png

I think Garlett costing us pick 38 and being on ice while he was at the club trumps Tyrone, no matter how big a douchebag he is.

So TV stays as a senior list player, and the rookies can play seniors anyway.
Not sure is if I read somewhere that the club would have bare minimum on senior list
Does that mean the club can get another on senior list and still keep total rookie spots.
I guess Nash remains as Cat B rookie for next year.
Just wondering how to have the best fit for 2018 and TV out is ok with me.

Feels like we have a lots of dead wood/holes in the squad to me. Vickery on the list but not playing. Miles contracted but for the life of me I cant see staying on beyond 2018 and would be pretty surprised if he played seniors in next season. Willsmore will be re-rookied (why is anyone's guess) to whom the same apples as Miles. I personally would love to have all 3 of these blokes off the pay roll and be looking to bring in fresh feet.

Nope. We’ve committed to Willsmore.

Yes i know but my point is if we piss Vickery off the main list upgrade 1 of the 3 I mentioned then we will get another rookie pick to replace who ever we put on the main list.

That rookie pick could end up a jet or could be rubbish.

Point is we get another player through the door rather then have Vickery on the list doing nothing.

I am not overly knowledgeable on how AFL Player Contracts specifically work, but I am fairly sure it can be paid outside the cap. As Ty was the party who decided to retire it should amount to either a repudiation of contract or a termination of contract by agreement, meaning that he wouldn't form part of our 2018 cap as he is the terminating party (this is at a general contract level). I think if a player is injured coming into their final playing year on a contract, then their salary will form part of that years cap, a self-elected retirement will not.

Note, I could be wrong - you may be more knowledgeable on this matter than I am :)
Not fussed if it's in our salary cap, but hope that we are not paying out his full salary. Anyway all the best for Ty.

I note that Cloke was in a similar situation and only decided to retire after he was told he would be playing in the twos next year. Bulldogs will pay out his full contract. Maybe they were happy to clear a list spot.

As I posted at the time ' Nice work if you can get it.'

Why wouldn't we just upgrade Cousins or Glass or Hanrahan for Vickery then pick up another rookie on minimum wage?

Could get a gem that we otherwise would not have got by keeping Vickery on the list.
Could do that. But like I said, if it’s considered a weak draft then maybe they’d prefer to save the potential rookie wage and put it towards the 2018 trade/draft period. Every bit of cap space might be needed to get our targets there over the line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

View attachment 437366

I think Garlett costing us pick 38 and being on ice while he was at the club trumps Tyrone, no matter how big a douchebag he is.

Feels like we have a lots of dead wood/holes in the squad to me. Vickery on the list but not playing. Miles contracted but for the life of me I cant see staying on beyond 2018 and would be pretty surprised if he played seniors in next season. Willsmore will be re-rookied (why is anyone's guess) to whom the same apples as Miles. I personally would love to have all 3 of these blokes off the pay roll and be looking to bring in fresh feet.
Clear up salary for 2018 Trade/FA Period? Burgoyne, Vickery, Whitecross/Duryea will leave some cap space open

Personally Im not fussed if the salary counts in our cap and given the Buddy deal I am actually hoping that it does to set the precedent when he hangs them up with 3yrs left on his contract. I don't however understand at all the claim that he remains on our list. Why on earth would he do that? The prospect of opening up another spot is what excites me.

edit: just watched Graeme Wright interview and confirmation that he does reman on the list. Why the hell is that. The player has retired and is getting paid out. I don't see why he is forced to stay on the list.
First list lodgement has already passed. If he quit a week or 2 ago we could have dropped him off the list. Anyway, isn't the club running with less players on the list this year? Seem to remember reading somewhere that we were going to run with 38 rather than 40. Just means we could pick up another player and still have one spot left.

So where does Tyrone rank for highest paid players in the game in 2017 ? Or are we paying him 20K per fortnight despite not even turning up to training in 2018 ?

Not fussed if it's in our salary cap, but hope that we are not paying out his full salary. Anyway all the best for Ty.

I note that Cloke was in a similar situation and only decided to retire after he was told he would be playing in the twos next year. Bulldogs will pay out his full contract. Maybe they were happy to clear a list spot.

As I posted at the time ' Nice work if you can get it.'
Given his output it would be good if he’s taking nothing in 2018 and making an anonymous donation to the Dingley fund equal to about 80% of his 2017 salary.

Billy gone. Vickery gone. A nervous player sighted at training today with confirmation of regained whipping boy status:

4052c7d0228cc3fc909706fc5d6d36f1

#PrayForSchoey
#putoutyourshoes

What a disaster from start to finish.

Appears we paid him out but he still takes up a list spot and salary cap for 2018, so not like there’s upside of being able to replace him on list.

I hope the hawks are reviewing their process as to how they decided to pick him in first place.

If he’s the one making the call, would this tweet be correct?

It counts in cap, but doesn’t mean we pay it. Thank goodness it is only for the one season and won’t affect the potential land free agents next year

I'm not as bothered by his recruitment as others were. It happened a hot minute after we did the three peat and also at a time that the salary cap was getting increased. 500k is a lot of money but it's also not as big a % of our salary cap as it would have been last year or 3 years ago.

We tried something, it didn't work, we're moving on. I wish him well in whatever he does after footy and hope that people will let him live his life without the continuous barrage of insults.
If you could point towards losing a FA from Hawthorn I’d give a s**t. But we didn’t

And no - Hodge wouldn’t have stayed if we never got Ty etc

View attachment 437366

Along with Hartung not a great year

Bullshit Sicily is ‘ken awesome

Remove this Banner Ad

Back