Vickery retires

Remove this Banner Ad

29, 190cms, probably now 100kgs, 99 games, 166 goals
syringe140116.jpg

no thanks

Since the end of the season I was kind of expecting this.
We never heard from Ty talking about re-focusing, energizing, and showing the Hawthorn faithful and public at large he'd been majorly underestimated. Unfortunately, many Hawk posters (not me) and visiting Richmond posters estimated him exactly correctly. I'm super surprised as a pro sportsman Vickery didn't have that 'prove them wrong' ticker.

While the money we apportioned to this venture was always dusted from the start, if Clarko was unaware until Vickery showed up to begin training for 2018 (in likely below optimal and required condition) that he was not gung ho to continue, our little general would be steaming from both ears still. It's one thing to courage up and leave your boss in no worse situation than can reasonably be salvaged, it's another to drop the team in the s**t.
The fact his spot needs to be kept on the list for next year is a pox way to leave our great club.

Can't imagine young Ty is getting an invite to drop by training or future get togethers from our coach, or frankly by the players who befriended him this last year.

Wondering if we never went down the Vickery route, would the situation re Mitchell and Hodge been different? Given the million dollar cost, and the reasons Mitchell and Hodge left, re to guarantee their retirement funds (which is completely understandable), if the money was put into Mitchell/Hodge, would their end of careers played out differently?

Wondering if we never went down the Vickery route, would the situation re Mitchell and Hodge been different? Given the million dollar cost, and the reasons Mitchell and Hodge left, re to guarantee their retirement funds (which is completely understandable), if the money was put into Mitchell/Hodge, would their end of careers played out differently?

Yeah it's hard to say but what I do know is I'd have preferred 500k each of the Ty money go to the Mitchell and Hodge retirement fund, over the Tyrone Vickery retirement fund.

Yeah it's hard to say but what I do know is I'd have preferred 500k each of the Ty money go to the Mitchell and Hodge retirement fund, over the Tyrone Vickery retirement fund.
For the love of God! Think of the cat!

Wow. Assume that means we do not have to pay out his contract this year, which can then be used for Gaff and Lynch next year !!!
Unlikely that we get cap relief similar to if buddy retired early his salary still counts vs cap even though money not paid.

We never heard from Ty talking about re-focusing, energizing, and showing the Hawthorn faithful and public at large he'd been majorly underestimated. Unfortunately, many Hawk posters (not me) and visiting Richmond posters estimated him exactly correctly. I'm super surprised as a pro sportsman Vickery didn't have that 'prove them wrong' ticker.

While the money we apportioned to this venture was always dusted from the start, if Clarko was unaware until Vickery showed up to begin training for 2018 (in likely below optimal and required condition) that he was not gung ho to continue, our little general would be steaming from both ears still. It's one thing to courage up and leave your boss in no worse situation than can reasonably be salvaged, it's another to drop the team in the s**t.
The fact his spot needs to be kept on the list for next year is a pox way to leave our great club.

Can't imagine young Ty is getting an invite to drop by training or future get togethers from our coach, or frankly by the players who befriended him this last year.

Thought the same things. No end of season trip pics, return to training early articles/pics etc. I feared his attitude had not changed which appears to have been the case. Like lots of people have posted clubs get trades wrong. Internally the club would be spewing imo. Unless, $1 million dollars is petty cash these days, which I seriously doubt.

ffa1e089b8328988dde39800fc003bca6a6d488d32e64900b2f7791d70b967e4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't having Crameri forward allow guys like Cyril and maybe Bruest to pinch hit in the middle more often?
who does he push out
you're talking about a bloke approaching 30 who appears cooked

we are not one veteran away from contending

I went along to a family day. The boys came out to kick the footy’s in lines. Ty didn’t have anyone to kick with. No-one looked interested in kicking with him (tho I think shiels eventually included him in a 3-way)

When they did some other drills, huddled etc, Ty was very much separate, wasn’t getting round the boys, or being got around.

Really seems to have struggled to gel with the group.

Not a surprise he didn’t find form given that he didn’t win his teammates over.

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]

Wouldn't having Crameri forward allow guys like Cyril and maybe Bruest to pinch hit in the middle more often?

Being that Crameri would likely be playing for Box Hill if on our list - I don't think so.

No. All salary of a player contracted for a particular year is carried in the salary cap regardless of whether the player actually is registered for that year. Hawthorn will carry the full $500,000 for Vickery's 2018 salary in the cap for 2018.

It does mean that Hawthorn has $500,000 available for 2019 and beyond, but that would already be factored into Hawthorn's player management strategy as there was no way he would have been with the club in 2019 even if Vickery hadn't retired.
And this is fine by me. Otherwise there’s all sorts of shifty deals.
And when Buddy retires and a couple of years and he still has 3 left at a mill a season I’ll be laughing.

What a relief to see him gone, there was nothing Hawthorn about him at all.
Has to be one of the biggest mistakes the club has ever made.

Breust is not a good mid, in fact he is only good inside 50 plus his tackling.
Cyril as a inside mid? That ship sailed years ago.

Breust is not a good mid, in fact he is only good inside 50 plus his tackling.
Cyril as a inside mid? That ship sailed years ago.
When Sam and Brad were winning inside ball a couple of seasons back we were winning the clearances at plus 70% when Cyril went in as an outside mid, come to think of it we are missing an outside mid.
I'm not against the idea, when was the last time he did a hammy? And why has that ship sailed?

When Sam and Brad were winning inside ball a couple of seasons back we were winning the clearances at plus 70% when Cyril went in as an outside mid, come to think of it we are missing an outside mid.
I'm not against the idea, when was the last time he did a hammy? And why has that ship sailed?
Starting midfield of Roughy, Cyril and Mitchell. JOM can play wing.

What a relief to see him gone, there was nothing Hawthorn about him at all.
Has to be one of the biggest mistakes the club has ever made.
Not necessary, mate. Says more about you than Ty.

I went along to a family day. The boys came out to kick the footy’s in lines. Ty didn’t have anyone to kick with. No-one looked interested in kicking with him (tho I think shiels eventually included him in a 3-way)

When they did some other drills, huddled etc, Ty was very much separate, wasn’t getting round the boys, or being got around.

Really seems to have struggled to gel with the group.

Not a surprise he didn’t find form given that he didn’t win his teammates over.

[I have no skin in this game, so don't feel any obligation to take it on board ~ B&GBlood]
Way to jump to conclusions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back