Vickery retires

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't buy we brought him in for back up reasoning. I think we brought him in to play the Hale role in the best 22 and it turned out he's nowhere near David Hale who was a pretty underrated player imo.

One thing about the Hawks though, is they aren't afraid to say they were wrong and cut their losses. Garlett, the CEO and now Tye. Not that we'll save any losses cap wise but we dont have a player who's not 100% about his footy around.

Why the * did he retire at age 27? Is there more to this story? Did the club basically force his hand?

How are you still not getting this? The 500k per year over two years was designed to give Richmond exactly what they wanted(a second round pick as compo), without Hawthorn needing to trade for him - due to the other irons they had in the fire.

It was the reason the AFL investigated the contract, as other clubs had heard that Hawthorn intended to spread the contract out to 3 years, making the salary closer to 350k per season, while still having gained Richmond the compo they desired in return.

And if you can't admit that Hawthorn taking Vickery on was heavily linked to having McEvoy as the only experienced ruckman on the senior list, then I can't help you.

Good for them. Has zero relevance to Hawthorn, Vickery and Free Agency.

How does it compromise the salary cap? Hawthorn had their targets, and they landed them.

Whether they decided to pay Vickery 250k or 750k per year, the cap wasn't affected as the list and all contracts was completely in hand as planned.
If Hawthorn went over the cap, then it would have been mismanagement.
You don't get a prize for being a certain percentage inside the cap. As long as you're within the parameters set by the AFL and it's not hindering your list management, it doesn't matter.

I will never think that it was wrong for Hawthorn to target a FA ruck/forward to fill a void when we didn't know if Roughead would ever play again, or if McEvoy would be able to play an entire season(due to his ongoing back issues).

Moving through the trade period and into season 2017 with McEvoy, Fitzpatrick(concussion issues) and Pittonet would have been the height of stupidity.

Yes, we thought he would be better, but we weren't to know the storm of s**t he was dealing with off field, and in the end we didn't really require him due to Roughead and O'Brien doing their bit.

It's not half the "poor list management" that people have made it out to be.

Well when your wearing your Hawthorn glasses like you it isn't.

In the real world most people see it for what it was.

A cockup.

Mr Vickers.
How disappointment.
How embarrassment.
How ******* hopelessment.

Its rather amusing reading Abassi. Its almost as if he is trying to convince himself that all is good.
Feel free to debate any of my posts, Mr Excell.

Fact is, Hawthorn were about to head into 2017 with Roughead battling cancer, Ceglar recuperating from an ACL, Fitzpatrick suffering from concussion issues, Tim O’Brien more of a strig-bean forward, Pittonet a young green ruck with 1 game to his name....

We had McEvoy as our soul experienced ruckman, and even he had been rumored to be contemplating retirement in 2016 due to constant back issues.

Thank * McEvoy had the year he did, and O’Brien started to show his potential while pinch hitting as a ruck.

It would have been utterly stupid for Hawthorn to not bring in a ruck/forward who could fill a role, when there was so much unknown about how the above group would hit the 2017 season.

Last edited:
Vickery was a bad decision in hindsight. But flashback to FA period 2016 and have a look at the RuckFwd options.

Cross out if they have had injury issues.

You're left with Vickery.

Hawks should of at this point looked outside the afl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't buy we brought him in for back up reasoning. I think we brought him in to play the Hale role in the best 22 and it turned out he's nowhere near David Hale who was a pretty underrated player imo.

One thing about the Hawks though, is they aren't afraid to say they were wrong and cut their losses. Garlett, the CEO and now Tye. Not that we'll save any losses cap wise but we dont have a player who's not 100% about his footy around.

Bingo.

Vickery was a bad decision in hindsight. But flashback to FA period 2016 and have a look at the RuckFwd options.

Cross out if they have had injury issues.

You're left with Vickery.

Hawks should of at this point looked outside the afl.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

People are not debating the move in terms of fit.

They are pointing out you don't pay $500 000 for insurance which is what some of you are claiming.

Vickery was clearly brought in because

A) He fit a need. (ABASI is right on that)

B) Hawthorn wanted him for the next title tilt and thought they could get the best out of him.

In the end, B turned out to be a mistake, but they have cut ties and are moving on which is what good organisations do. Having Tim O'Brien come on was much as he did was a surprise for them I think ( a good surprise).

Most Hawthorn fans know this and accept it.

Hawks have moved on quickly from the CEO and Vickers which is the way you want to do it.

The CEO was an odd one - they spent a long time on that choice - got it wrong - and spent a few mins on the J mans returning - the devil you know.

Vickers - Hawks should have asked any one of the 80k plus Tiger members for their take on him - and then they would have looked elsewhere. Due diligence or undue neglect?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back