Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamumluvsbigcox

Cancelled
Oct 22, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
It seems to me the commentators and AFL media are putting pressure on our state government so Vic team's don't have to participate in a WA hub .

Bradshaw especially is continually pushing the narrative that we as a club and supporters should be putting pressure on McGowan .

Do they care about us or Freo?

Nope just the stage 2 hub in WA

ukurrie

Team Captain
Jul 12, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Las Vegas Raiders
I think that is overthinking it.

Brayshaw was predicting pressure on McGowan if WCE and Freo continue to struggle as an interesting sideshow. Which of course it is considering how much McGowan enjoyed baiting the Victorian clubs...what goes around, comes around.

Of course the Vic teams do not want to hub, neither did WCE, but they are all making the right noises about doing what is required (happy to be corrected if I have missed something).

Last edited:

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Here is something I posted in the Hub thread:

Case for WA hub is firming
Joe SpagnoloThe West Australian
Saturday, 20 June 2020 7:58PM

Jack Darling of the Eagles is spoiled by Harris Andrews of the Lions during the Round 3 AFL match between the Brisbane Lions and the West Coast Eagles at The Gabba.

Calls for an AFL hub to be located in Perth are growing louder, after coronavirus cases spiked in Victoria and an Essendon player tested positive to the virus — strengthening the argument that there was no safer place to be than in WA.
While Victoria recorded 25 new cases of coronavirus on Saturday – the fourth successive day with double digit increases in that State – WA recorded no new cases of the disease overnight and has just two active cases as it prepares to lift further COVID-19 restrictions this week.
Eagles great Glen Jakovich said the AFL football season was now “on a knife edge”, and called for football to be moved out of Victoria and games played in Perth, the Gold Coast and Adelaide.
His call came after it was revealed that Essendon player Conor McKenna had tested positive for coronavirus, resulting in today’s Essendon versus Melbourne match being postponed.
“The AFL season is on knife’s edge in 2020,” Jakovich said.
“I can only see that to have a hub in Western Australia would save the AFL season.
“I am now calling for the AFL to take football out of Victoria.
“The fact that they have community spread now (in Victoria) and numbers of coronavirus infections are going up, as well as a player testing positive at a big club – the AFL if they want to save their season may need to get all the clubs out of Melbourne into either Brisbane, Adelaide or Western Australia.
“And Western Australia is probably the safest.”
Discussions between the McGowan Government and the AFL about hosting up to as many as eight teams in Perth are on-going, with the mandatory two-week self-isolation of visitors to WA being a major sticking point.
Eagles great Glen Jakovich says a hub in Western Australia would save the AFL season. Credit: Ross Swanborough/The West Australian
The AFL, West Coast and Fremantle are currently endeavouring to gain an exemption for players to be able to serve the quarantine period in their homes, rather than hotels
Eagles’ coach Adam Simpson said this week the club wanted to exit the Gold Coast hub – soon.
And Eagles CEO Trevor Nisbett today re-affirmed the view that AFL footy games should also be played in Perth in 2020.
“We are going to follow the strictest of protocols placed around our club with constant testing, social distancing and all other restrictions placed on us in order to get back to WA ASAP,” Mr Nisbett said.
“We are working with the Government and are awaiting directions in order to bring games to Perth and Optus Stadium.”
Premier Mark McGowan said his Government was working with the Police Commissioner and the WA Chief Health Officer on quarantine arrangements in WA for the AFL players.
“We hope to provide clarity in coming days,” Mr McGowan said.
And in a sign that he and his Government heavily backed the idea of a Perth footy hub he further said: “Unlike east coast teams, our local footy teams have done a lot for the AFL to make this season a reality.
“WA has always been the best location for a footy hub. Our support for a footy hub at Burswood, based on health advice, hasn’t changed. It’s a decision for the AFL.”
The league had been due to release the next portion of the fixture early next week.
Lewis Jetta of the Eagles is seen grappling with Daniel McStay of the Lions during the Round 3 AFL match between the Brisbane Lions and the West Coast Eagles at The Gabba.

Lewis Jetta of the Eagles is seen grappling with Daniel McStay of the Lions during the Round 3 AFL match between the Brisbane Lions and the West Coast Eagles at The Gabba. Credit: DARREN ENGLAND/AAPIMAGE
AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan made it clear that Perth remained strongly in the mix to host AFL games this year.
“Whether we compress the season, whether it ends up being a bye, however that looks, we are working still to work with the Western Australians about how the return looks like there,” he said.
But regardless of the desire to see AFL football played in Perth, Mr McGowan remained strong on his position that he would not yet allow unrestricted interstate travel to and from the east coast – particularly in light of the spike in case in Victoria.
Prior to yesterday’s surge in coronavirus cases in Victoria, it is understood the WA Government was considering opening up its interstate border after the July school holidays, which end on July 17.
But hopes of a July re-opening of the interstate border between WA and the Eastern States are all but dead after a big spike in coronavirus cases in Victoria strengthened Premier Mark McGowan’s resolve to keep Eastern Staters out.
WA Premier Mark McGowan

WA Premier Mark McGowan Credit: Nic Ellis/The West Australian
“Our hard border has been in place to protect the health and well-being of West Australians,” Mr McGowan said.
“It’s allowed us to confidently ease restrictions more than any other State and open up our local economy.
“The current situation in Victoria is extremely concerning. It shows that we can’t take anything for granted here in WA.
“The spike in Victorian cases in recent days is being closely monitored.
“This is why a decision on our hard border will only ever be based on expert health advice.”
Alarmingly, Victorian Premier Andrews said the coronavirus spikes were being driven by families having big get-togethers and not following the advice around distancing and hygiene.
Premier Andrews reacted by announcing that as of midnight tomorrow, the number of household guests would be limited to five and outdoor gatherings would be reduced from 20 to 10.
“Reimposing restrictions like Victoria, is the last thing I ever want to do. It would devastate small businesses and our economy,” Mr McGowan said.
“That’s why I won’t take any unnecessary risks.
“I don’t want to undo the good work of all Western Australians.”

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE should be moving heaven and earth to bring our "home game" against Richmond to Optus and it should be played in front of a sizeable crowd. McGowan needs to stop swinging his dick around as the risk of a fifo footy match with all the current mitigation in place is absolutely zero.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE should be moving heaven and earth to bring our "home game" against Richmond to Optus and it should be played in front of a sizeable crowd. McGowan needs to stop swinging his dick around as the risk of a fifo footy match with all the current mitigation in place is absolutely zero.

Mcgowan is a freo supporter. If freo were competing for premiership, you can bet borders would have been open to afl teams already.

Every freo fan has a chip on their shoulder and they dream more about screwing wce than their own team winning. McGowan is no different.

Footy shouldn't be a consideration. Look at Victoria ffs.

Mcgowan is a freo supporter. If freo were competing for premiership, you can bet borders would have been open to afl teams already.

Every freo fan has a chip on their shoulder and they dream more about screwing wce than their own team winning. McGowan is no different.

No

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Footy shouldn't be a consideration. Look at Victoria ffs.

No

Why shouldn’t it be? Players are COVID tested like crazy. After each game and every train session? So at least twice a week? They are way safer than general public and testing is way beyond what governments ask of general public or anyone else that comes in.

Option isn’t only what we do vs what Victoria has done.

Let’s put our brains into gear for a bit and think.

Why shouldn’t it be? Players are COVID tested like crazy. After each game and every train session? So at least twice a week? They are way safer than general public and testing is way beyond what governments ask of general public or anyone else that comes in.

Option isn’t only what we do vs what Victoria has done.

Let’s put our brains into gear for a bit and think.
Oh they could do it easily if they wanted to, but they have a 1000 more important things to worry about, and if they prioritise footy over those things for no real gain to themselves, it just makes the people involved in those 1000 other things more pissed off and harder to deal with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Oh they could do it easily if they wanted to, but they have a 1000 more important things to worry about, and if they prioritise footy over those things for no real gain to themselves, it just makes the people involved in those 1000 other things more pissed off and harder to deal with.

Honestly, I don’t think they have 1000 more important things. There may be 20, but I doubt it’s 1000. If it was so far down the list, they wouldn’t have relaxed the number of spectators allowed at Optus.

Whether you like it or not, afl generates significant $$$ for state government, which you know, has to fund s**t like health.

And how QLD is going with COVID and afl, it’s clear WA missed the trick. We could have had at least 8 teams here playing off. Instead we shat our bed as it was politically convenient.

And always think of Victoria, as though that was the only alternative available.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast

Also, pretty sure AFL is more important than Kerry Stokes and his skiing holiday.

They found time for that.

ghostbat12

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe so, but I'm not the one sounding like a offended dockers fan in one of their no opposition supporters threads

I am sorry I don’t go to opposition supporters thread. Don’t understand your obsession in that.

Come on man. Afl has strictest protocols ON THE PLANET. If there is a breakout, it will be due to other things, just like in Victoria.

Let’s not forget that whilst there was a breakout, afl clubs were still there and very few (if any) afl players and staff tested positive. If anything it shows protocols work very well.

Something could have been worked out if there was a will and there wasn’t for a reason.

Jan 13, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
I am sorry I don’t go to opposition supporters thread. Don’t understand your obsession in that.

Come on man. Afl has strictest protocols ON THE PLANET. If there is a breakout, it will be due to other things, just like in Victoria.

Let’s not forget that whilst there was a breakout, afl clubs were still there and very few (if any) afl players and staff tested positive. If anything it shows protocols work very well.

Something could have been worked out if there was a will and there wasn’t for a reason.
I agree, something could probably (and may still) be worked out. I just thought blaming McGowan being a dockers fan for it not happening was ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back