DTC Frat House
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Team Lambda Variant
Sounds like a shitty rock band!

E806C522-0D19-4C9B-A8F2-5A11E99E5217.jpeg

I don’t see a thread so I’ll discuss here

AFAIK this guy is a disaffected member of the Liberal Party, he went and formed a new party called “the New Liberals”, he got it past the AEC, and he’s campaigning for the upcoming.

8EE15E7B-ECE1-4017-9CC9-AAFD5CF8ADF1.jpeg

He thinks he can get voted in a few seats, I think he can’t tell the difference between Atwitter and the real word.

But, as a though exercise, who’s voting for him? He might split off some of the LNP vote but I can’t see any of the other parties losing votes to him.

His platform

the candidates

Can he really split the vote? I wonder who they’ll preference?

Nov 17, 2013
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Sheffield Wednesday
Don't really know the guy, but there's some fertile ground there if they can get some credibility. Would very much be of the same pedigree as Steggall's platform I imagine, maybe Sharkie/McGowan/Haines too.

There are suggestion of more independent runs at North Sydney, Goldstein and Kooyong. Ideally they should all be collaborating under a party like this. As it is, I'd expect most will fizzle unless they can attract someone really high-profile to run.

But, as a though exercise, who’s voting for him? He might split off some of the LNP vote but I can’t see any of the other parties losing votes to him.

I actually think there'd be a few ALP voter who would be keen on splitting off too, those who normally would only vote for the ALP so they don't have to vote for LNP.

And those who want stronger action on climate change but don't want to vote the Greens.

Myself probably being one of them.

I don't think it's a particularly bold prediction, but I think we'll hear A LOT more from Victor over the year until the election.

edit: nvm,looks like victor’s party is not running in Labour seats.

Last edited:

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
He thinks he can win seats, but that seems a bit far fetched.
I do think if he attracts some high profile candidates, he can split the LNP vote in some seats, with the confusing (ish) name being a factor

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Had not heard of these guys until recently - it appears that the government introduced a bill to raise the minimum amount of members to register a party from 500 to 1500, but it seems this has only resulted in TNL tripling their membership!

While I can't really see them taking a seat from the majors it'd be great if they could do some damage.

Pretty interesting discussion between Victor Kline (TNL) with Martin North (Digital Finance Analytics).

Ok, people form new parties all the time. But why choose to have "Liberals" in the name?

Too confusing.
The Liberals have "Liberals" in their name and that is just a plain lie.

At least the COALition is named more accurately

Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
The Liberals have "Liberals" in their name and that is just a plain lie.

At least the COALition is named more accurately

The meaning of the word has changed over time. When they adopted it they meant economic liberals, i.e. small government. low regulation, freer trade. Not social liberals in the pejorative sense that US conservatives use the word.

The meaning of the word has changed over time. When they adopted it they meant economic liberals, i.e. small government. low regulation, freer trade. Not social liberals in the pejorative sense that US conservatives use the word.
There is nothing Liberal about the Liberals.
They stand for old guard church authoritarianism and have performed so since they were formed.
Whatever else the various members have been sidetracked into for their own personal gain, the Liberal Party has always been against social reform and/or equality in any way.

May 12, 2006
Lal Lal
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Elsternwick AFC
In essence, another attempt to fill the void left by the collapse of the Australian Democrats, who may have been anywhere on the political spectrum, but whose voters were largely centrists afraid of the worst excesses of the Liberal Party.

This one may work, it probably won't.

In essence, another attempt to fill the void left by the collapse of the Australian Democrats, who may have been anywhere on the political spectrum, but whose voters were largely centrists afraid of the worst excesses of the Liberal Party.

This one may work, it probably won't.
I voted for Don Chipp.
My many experiences in the voting booth.

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
I voted for Don Chipp.
My many experiences in the voting booth.
I have spoken to a few old (ie, even older than me) cricketers who played against Don Chipp and his brother in the former Heidelberg District comp.
They were very successful players, but apparently extremely aggressive and antagonistic, not to say absolute bastards.
They actually played for a (now merged) Church team.
I got the very strong impression that the chances of any of these former opponents voting for Don Chipp was less than zero.

Back