Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

If they have too. Who cares turn it into a waste land. They get a continent.
I don't think they are after the Sydney Opera house.
Do you ?

so they want to take over a conteninent, even if its a nuclear wasteland, "because"

can you take this s**t over to the conspiracy looney tunes nutbagger board with all the other mouthbreathers?

I certainly do appear to have a significant ability to make morons outraged. The moment anything beyond tabloid level information appears, they completely lose their minds. It's as if their entire existence is under threat.

I am not a threat to you people, I am your liberator.

Too true. From the Boer War and Boxer Rebellions, the Surafend massacre of WW1, the execution of Japanese POWs of WW2 and the use of throw downs in Vietnam which had a lot of similarities to Afghanistan, it’s something that’s firmly established in Australian military culture.

Expect Australia (and the West) haven’t won in Afghanistan. After 19 years they failed to defeat the Taliban. Part of the reason, as explained by Braden Chapman in the 4 Corners episode, was that the SAS were so brutal to the civilian population that the civilians ended up supporting the slightly less brutal Taliban.

So not only were some SAS war criminals, overall they lost the war, they are losers.
Slightly less brutal taliban?

Ive got mates had kids sent to them with explosives strapped to their bodies amongst other horrors.

Slightly less brutal taliban?

BRADEN CHAPMAN: We try to say that we're there to help and you know the Taliban are bad. But if we go in and we start destroying infrastructure or destroying their private vehicles and burning down their homes it doesn't really send the right message.

BRADEN CHAPMAN: And as soon as they leave they're not gonna help us any more. They're just going to run straight back to the Taliban who are usually not doing that.

BRADEN CHAPMAN: We try to say that we're there to help and you know the Taliban are bad. But if we go in and we start destroying infrastructure or destroying their private vehicles and burning down their homes it doesn't really send the right message.

BRADEN CHAPMAN: And as soon as they leave they're not gonna help us any more. They're just going to run straight back to the Taliban who are usually not doing that.

The taliban werent destroying their vehicles etc

They flat out killed folk who didnt comply, used kids as dumb bombs or meat armour.

Thats where i believe the moral vacuum started.

Our guys were going there tour after tour, year after year with no end in sight fighting an enemy that had no limits to what they would do. Some of our soldiers snapped / or were utter psychos and just unleashed what was there hidden.

And a complete and utter failure in leadership didnt pull it up.

Perhaps one thing we can all agree on in light of this is that sending us to war should no longer be a whim of the PM at the time and that it needs to be debated and voted on in Parliament before troops are committed.

Having peripherally served (7 years in RNZNVR), I always said I would be happy for my kids to join up in NZ. My thinking was of the excellent training, the camaraderie, the opportunity to grow as a person, to become a confident and well rounded adult. Moving here and watching the WMD lies in real time on TV made me do a total 180 on that: there was no way I would want my kids sent in harms way at the whim of a US-poodle government.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Australian foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for Australia to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Indonsesia will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.
Nobody steps on anyone's toes.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Israeli foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for Israel to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Iran will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Iranian foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for Iran to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Saudi Arabia will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent South Korean foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for South Korea to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent.* I know that if we get them North Korea will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Indian foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for India to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Pakistan will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

Just sayin'.

* US stationed nuke missiles in SK until 1991. SK's own missiles are fully compatible with US warheads.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Israeli foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for Israel to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Iran will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Iranian foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for Iran to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Saudi Arabia will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent South Korean foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for South Korea to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent.* I know that if we get them North Korea will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

The nuclear genie, much as I personally want it to do so, is NEVER going back inside the lamp. Recognising that, I think the way forward for an independent Indian foreign policy is crystal clear. I know this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it's time for India to pursue its own wholly defensive nuclear deterrent. I know that if we get them Pakistan will want them too. Maybe a regional M.A.D agreement is the way to go.

Just sayin'.

* US stationed nuke missiles in SK until 1991. SK's own missiles are fully compatible with US warheads.

I think nuclear hegemony is in itself a dangerous thing. India and Pakistan, while both having flareups and limited cross-border exchanges, haven't had a full-on fight over Kashmir yet because there is regional M.A.D at play. Ditto India and China and their very recent border spat.

Israel's 'officially unacknowledged' nuclear deterrent is unmatched in the region thus far and so there is a nuclear hegemon. This inbalance could lead to future dangers.

South Korea having its own nuclear deterrent will help keep nuclear-armed North Korea in check. As an aside I'm sure other nations have them somewhere on hand too but it spun me out while in Seoul for the first time seeing all the yellow radiation suits openly stored in cabinets on its subway platforms. They live with that threat every day I guess.

Nukes aren't good. They aren't ever going away either though, so keeping in mind the principle of 'mutually assured destruction' why not use their threat to create more regional deterrents? It might stop more localised actions from exploding into all-out war and even prevent 'regional big boys' like China from stepping on too many toes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunno why you're all concerned about invasions by North Korea or China - we've got a neighbour just off the coast with very different people to us, a history of conflict and nothing to lose. And I ain't talking about the sheep-shaggers across the 'dutch'.

Indonesia?

We've seen their boats. How are they going to get here?

I haven't read the article but I'm going to suggest that it's just the usual case of Australian media not having a clue about military and getting the CSM abbreviation wrong. In every other area of the Australian military, CSM stands for Company Sergeant Major. Maybe the SF do something different (par for the course) but I've never heard of that.
Never mind - I was wrong. There are a couple of command Sergeant Major roles, including in SF.

Dunno why you're all concerned about invasions by North Korea or China - we've got a neighbour just off the coast with very different people to us, a history of conflict and nothing to lose. And I ain't talking about the sheep-shaggers across the 'dutch'.

Isn't that why we had f111s and f18s? We can wipe out the Indonesian Cabinet before they know what hit them?

Never mind - I was wrong. There are a couple of command Sergeant Major roles, including in SF.

SSM in SASR.

Like in Cavalry units.

Difference between SASR and Cavalry is the Squadrons are numbered and the Troops are lettered (for example 1 SQN, A Troop in SASR, A SQN, 1 Troop in say... 2 CAV).

And yes, SASR has an F Troop. And yes, the boys used to play it up to great merriment.

Your actual understanding of libertarian philosophy has been summed up in one very simple sentence.

If you're a Libertarian you obviously oppose things like mandatory indefinite detention (offshore etc), denial of the right of appeal for Refugees, capital punishment and so forth and support Abortion, Religious freedom (including those of Muslims), Same sex Marriage, the right of people to choose their Gender and similar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back