Society/Culture Victoria Cross winner Ben Roberts-Smith - Allegations of war crimes

Remove this Banner Ad

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Communism has worked in a form - the traditional aboriginal culture is an example
  1. Applying a Eurocentric concept like communism to a non-European culture is fraught
  2. Collectivist principles exist in hunter gatherer societies out of necessity due to a lack of things like money, proper division of labour and the ability to generate a surplus
i.e. they are not really evidence that communism has the ability to work in any kind of modern context

MC Bad Genius

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
I know this isn't directly related to the topic, but neither is a lot of what is being discussed. Did anyone else read this article in Rolling Stone about the culture of drugs and violence amongst the elite military divisions in USA? Apparently there were over 40 deaths at Fort Bragg in 2020 (!!!) and there is a massive cone of silence around what has been going on.

The reason I posted it (apart from being a horrifying yet fascinating article) is that it seems to suggest that warrior mentality that was rife through BRS' unit isn't of course something unique to Australian armed forces.

Well worth the read.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad