Victoria needs a decent rugby league/union/soccer ground...

Remove this Banner Ad

Ms.Storm

Premiership Player
Dec 29, 2000
The GraveYard Olympic Park.Melb.
Other Teams
Melb. Storm
After being to the Storm game I am even more convinced that this State needs a decent ground where rugby league/union/soccer could be played.

Colonial is okay but we need a classy ground where games could be played.....it made a huge difference yesterday and the crowd really got into the game because of the closeness.

Anyone agree with me.??

If they ever get one, hope they model it on Parramatta stadium. A terrific ground with stands either side, grassed at each end if you want to sit on the hill and you are so close to the field you feel right on top of the action.

Funny, we need more oval fields here in Sydney :)

That ground Storm played at in their debut year (Olympic Park wasn't it?) - is that one any good? I know the Carlton soccer club played out of there too until they went bust.

Have you been to the Sydney Football Stadium? It's not too bad a model to copy, and the seats are closer than you think. Finest squared-off ground in the country (if you get a few people in.. otherwise I agree with the hippie on Parra Stadium :D)

Des,

It's just been announced that Olympic Park will be redeveloped into an Australian Rules like ground (along with athletic facilities) and will be the new home of Collingwood Football Club.

The cost of a dedicated Rugby / League / Soccer stadium would be too prohibitive. In short, there is not the critical mass support for any of the three sports to make such a venture viable.

This state of affairs is compounded by the fact that Colonial can be reconfigured into a suitable ground.

Originally posted by CJH
This state of affairs is compounded by the fact that Colonial can be reconfigured into a suitable ground.

At the cost of 20,000 big ones!! :eek:

The cost is far too prohibitive.

Top Don...

The last I heard it cost $60,000 for Storm this time around, not $20,000...this was on the Storm site...and it had to do with the fact that the people were inexperienced at what they were doing this time, but should be easier next time.....

Actually this sounds a bit weird to me:(

I am pretty certain that I read that Justin Madden (Sports Minister) was definately doing a feasibility study on building a rugby/soccer ground......I wish I could remember everything I read about it.

I think also that if Storm/Sth.Melb./Melb.Knights and possibly a future Super 12's team were to play out of the ground, it would be a good investment!!

As far as Olympic Park being an afl oval, well in my opinion we do not need another one here....its a total waste....but I supposed it could easily cater for league and union and soccer too....so it could be utilised in that area too.

Isn't Collingwood going to use it for training?

DesRedandWhite..

Sorry I forgot to add you to my previous post.

Olympic Park is now in the process of being renovated for the Commonwealth Games and that is why Storm left there and as stated by CJH looks like Collingwood are going to use OP as their training/home ground.

Did you also mean more afl ovals in Sydney???

Yes I have been to the SFS...I loved it....and Parra looks great too...I like the idea of having a hill behind one of the goals...just adds to the atmosphere.

I also like the SCG when it was grassed behind the goals......been to quite a few games there for the Dees when they handed out tickets for free!!!
How much does it cost to go to a Swans game now Des?

Melbourne could do with a ground like Parra...I really think if Storm moved to a ground like Parra...it would absolutely thrive and of course if they were given more promotion in Melb. that would help too!! Its hard here, because many Victorians won't give any rugby code a look-in...that includes the press and media.!!

A lot of Storm supporters don't like Colonial . They want a true rugby league groound and I must admit it lends to the atmosphere much better.

cheers:D

Re: DesRedandWhite..

Originally posted by Ms.Storm
Did you also mean more afl ovals in Sydney???

Yes I have been to the SFS...I loved it....and Parra looks great too...I like the idea of having a hill behind one of the goals...just adds to the atmosphere.

I also like the SCG when it was grassed behind the goals......been to quite a few games there for the Dees when they handed out tickets for free!!!
How much does it cost to go to a Swans game now Des?

Well.. in order.. Yes I mean more AFL ovals in Sydney :) Travelling between the two cities, it's always struck me how you can track your progress by seeing how many aussie rules ovals you get as opposed to rugby fields as you cover the kilometers ;-) There's a lot of soccer fields here obviously, and plenty of rugby fields.. only a few purpose-built aussie rules ovals though, and most clubs have to share a cricket oval. Opposite problem in Vic I guess!

I've only been to the SFS a handful of times (2 soccer games, one rugby league final... coincidentally all behind the goals!!) but I think it's one of the finest squared off grounds in the country. Parra is an obvious favourite because of my particular team allegiance :D but it's cosy and the facilities are good!!! I like the IDEA of the hill behind the goals but must admit I feel that is the worst place to watch the actual game from :D ODDLY enough... I'm most comfortable watching soccer from behind the goals as that is where I usually watch Spirit matches from - I suppose it is what you're used to.

It's actually fairly pricey to go to a Swans game these days... $20 will get you a GA ticket, and only for what used to be the old hill. $25 or so will get you a reserved concourse seat, then you start getting more expensive... Getting seats in the O'Reilly stand for example costs a bomb ($57!!!!) but counted over a membership it works out much less (about $25 per game for mine)

Bob Jane Stadium is gettin redevopled I heard....Maybe they could redo this into a state of the Rugby and Soccer ground.

At the moment I reckon Bob Jane is ****house.

I have been too the SFS, Its a great stadium too watch Rugby and Soccer.

Mags

Mags..

I am not sure if I am right reBob Jane Stadium, but I heard that seating capacity would still only be about 15,500....am I right.,..sounds good anyway...

Do you know anymore....

I think something about Bob Jane Stadium was mentioned on the Storm supporters site.
If Colonial does not prove financial to the Storm, they may have to look at Bob Jane...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back