Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
AKk1xzD.jpg

The above logos don't represent Victorian Cricket anymore.

This is Cricket Victoria's statement about the change:

Cricket Victoria has today announced the Victorian Men’s Cricket Team and Victorian Women’s Cricket Team squads ahead of the 2018-19 domestic season.
In a new era for Victorian cricket, the usage of both the ‘Bushrangers’ and ‘VicSpirit’ names will cease and the teams will officially be referred to as the Victorian Men’s Cricket Team and Victorian Women’s Cricket Team into the future.
The change in names has been made to simplify the number of elite team cricket brands in Victoria.
Both teams will now wear uniforms bearing the Victorian Cricket Association (VCA) logo.

So what now happens to the Warriors, Redbacks, Tigers, Blues and Bulls.

AKk1xzD.jpg

Cricket Victoria has today announced the Victorian Men’s Cricket Team and Victorian Women’s Cricket Team squads ahead of the 2018-19 domestic season.
In a new era for Victorian cricket, the usage of both the ‘Bushrangers’ and ‘VicSpirit’ names will cease and the teams will officially be referred to as the Victorian Men’s Cricket Team and Victorian Women’s Cricket Team into the future.
The change in names has been made to simplify the number of elite team cricket brands in Victoria.
Both teams will now wear uniforms bearing the Victorian Cricket Association (VCA) logo.

Eh
Most call them the vics anyway.

warriors and bulls are ones that could be classified as sexist, tassie might unify the roar (female team) under the same name, as with the blues. Sa are called scorpions, if they wanted to they could call them both stingers.

Nothing... Why would any of the other states be looking to rebrand just because Victoria are?

Stupid I agree, but I bet in the 90s when team names were introduced if Bigfooty existed then we'd all be complaining and wanting to keep the names as they had existed for ~100 years before

What is it with Victorian sports teams with interesting branding suddenly throwing that branding in the bin to become entirely generic?

First Melbourne Tigers and now this.

Bushrangers was IMO the most well associated nickname to state cricket team in the country.

Always had a problem with "Warriors" because it replaced the word "Australia" and therefore took "Western Australia" out of the name. I could play along with the name being Warriors if the team was called "Western Australia Warriors" even though that sounds pretty bloody awful.

Sad thing is, I agree, Bushrangers is a pretty good name for a Victorian team. They don't have to be the "Victoria Bushrangers" they can still be the Victorian Cricket Team, and have the nickname "The Bushrangers"

Always had a problem with "Warriors" because it replaced the word "Australia" and therefore took "Western Australia" out of the name. I could play along with the name being Warriors if the team was called "Western Australia Warriors" even though that sounds pretty bloody awful.

Sad thing is, I agree, Bushrangers is a pretty good name for a Victorian team. They don't have to be the "Victoria Bushrangers" they can still be the Victorian Cricket Team, and have the nickname "The Bushrangers"
the thing is people will still call them the Bushrangers.

AKk1xzD.jpg

very happy with this. Cricket lost its way when they started this rubbish. i also think they need to get rid of numbers from the back of the shield teams - as well as one day kits. numbers in cricket have never made sense to me. neither have the shield teams having "team names"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no chance it's due to ease of branding. The national women's side asked to not be referred to as the Southern Stars, as they didn't want to be known as a nickname whilst the national men's side was simply 'The Australian cricket team'. So now they are the Australian Women's cricket team.

Victoria are just following suit. Not sure why they had to make other excuses.

There's no chance it's due to ease of branding. The national women's side asked to not be referred to as the Southern Stars, as they didn't want to be known as a nickname whilst the national men's side was simply 'The Australian cricket team'. So now they are the Australian Women's cricket team.

Victoria are just following suit. Not sure why they had to make other excuses.

The new Cricket Victoria logo isn't very inspiring. The sky blue, silver and grass green with a navy V doesn't shout out Victoria to the opposition. However, the Victorian Premier Cricket logo does that and should be used in the Cricket Victoria logo. Giving opposition the idea that their wicket will look like this after the Victorians have dealt with it.

n8js8Za.jpg

Above: (left) My idea for the Cricket Victoria logo, (middle top) Victorian Premier Cricket logo, (middle bottom) Cricket Victoria logo, (right) the old Victorian Cricket Association logo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back