Victorian club pokies revenue the last financial year

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Yeh...nah...the bulldogs have always been the strugglers from the struggling West.

The slums of the West are about as far away as you can get from the happy Hawthorn family.

Went to school at Footscray West Primary, and high school at Maribyrnong high, while living in Maidstone, 10 minutes walk from the Western Oval. We were never in the slums.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Went to school at Footscray West Primary, and high school at Maribyrnong high, while living in Maidstone, 10 minutes walk from the Western Oval. We were never in the slums.

Wookie

Let me say to you that if you could walk from Maribyrnong High to the Western Oval in 10 minutes, you are the fastest walker on Earth.

Indeed, you should be competing for a walking gold at Rio.

You are such a fast walker, that you may have missed a few blocks of rat infested, garbage strewn flats along Gordon St, exactly mid way between the Western Oval and and where they fought with the council for nigh on a decade to build a new club house.

When was the last time you walked past the Maidstone shops? Are they still like the Braybrook shops with half of them covered in some sort of metal protection, while those that are not are perpetually with broken windows?

Let's face it mate - this Slumsville incorporated.

We are talking about the safest labour seat in Australia (I'd hazard a guess that in and around Hawthorn it's blue ribbon liberal).

A world apart geographically.

A world apart socio-economically.

A world apart in terms of financial clout: one side is doing the screwing, while the other side is getting screwed over.

The one doing the screwing will have you believe that they deserve an award for entrepreneurship, that they have fostered new revenue streams by working closely with the community to which they have such close ties, while clubs like the dogs, putting the hand out for more and more assistance have not done enough on this front.

I simply say to you, shouldn't the club representing the slums of the western suburbs be the one more entitled to profit from the misery of the people of the west?

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Giga, you may not be across action from that most useless level of government, the local Council, to grab some of the cash from their local pokies palaces, including those owned/run by AFL clubs.

http://thenewdaily.com.au/sport/afl/2016/06/06/vic-councils-demand-cut-afl-pokies-cash/

All Victorian sports clubs with pokies licences must show that at least 8.33 per cent of the net gaming machine revenue is used to deliver “community benefits”. The problem is that the current law contains a broad definition of what those “benefits” can be, allowing AFL clubs such as Carlton, Hawthorn and Collingwood to have money they spend on stadiums, catering and football staff count towards meeting their community service obligations.

Carlton operates two pokies venues in the Hobsons Bay municipality – The Vic Inn and Club Laverton – that harvested combined gaming revenue of $8.3 million in 2015.

The club did not fund gambling support programs in the local area, electing instead to meet the community benefits test mostly by upgrading amenities such as spas, air conditioners, toilets and stands at its home ground, Ikon Park, located outside the municipality.

Documents filed to the Victorian gambling regulator show that Carlton met the community benefits test by spending around $600,000 on capital upgrades to its ground and social club amenities and only $100,000 for “philanthropic and benevolent purposes”.

Collingwood raked in more than $10.6 million in gaming machine revenue from two venues in 2015 and was able to meet the community service test by having more than $1 million spent on electricity, wages and rent at its pokies establishments recognised as “community benefits”.

A leading local government source told The New Daily that Collingwood was coming under pressure from Melton Shire councillors to stump up cash for gambling support programs in Melbourne’s outer western suburb of Caroline Springs where the club operates a lucrative pokies venue.

eggtardo

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I simply say to you, shouldn't the club representing the slums of the western suburbs be the one more entitled to profit from the misery of the people of the west?
Putting aside your misinformed view on Footscray and surrounding suburbs.
The bulldogs do have a venue in the heart of Footscray - Club Leeds, you choose to ignore this

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Putting aside your misinformed view on Footscray and surrounding suburbs.
The bulldogs do have a venue in the heart of Footscray - Club Leeds, you choose to ignore this

Active in the market are they eggy?

Back in 09, FFC had machines at the Whitten Oval, the Vic Inn Willy , Club Leeds as you confirm, and managed the Spotswood RSL & Bacchus Marsh Golf Club both with pokies. Whats happened?
Been involved in pokies since 1992.

Where does the 8.33% tax for the community go?

eggtardo

Team Captain
Dec 16, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Active in the market are they eggy?

Back in 09, FFC had machines at the Whitten Oval, the Vic Inn Willy , Club Leeds as you confirm, and managed the Spotswood RSL & Bacchus Marsh Golf Club both with pokies. Whats happened?
Been involved in pokies since 1992.

Where does the 8.33% tax for the community go?

Yes they are, we do have 70 machines burning a hole in our pocket but there are 25 at Club Leeds and another 25 or 30 from memory down the peninsula
(edited to correct machine numbers from 50 to 70)

Last edited:

MacMum

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 6, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Aah, I see!!

So you are not objecting to poker machines, just the fact that the club representing the western suburbs is not getting the profits from said poker machines......that you would rather the western bulldogs be the ones to rip off the so-called poor people of the western suburbs, not a club from the beastly rich eastern side of melbourne...

Seems a bit hypocritical don't you think?

p.s.

..where do you live Gigantor?....you follow GWS, but have been very vocal in this discussion. You seem to know the area very well. If you have left the area, how long ago? I ask because it is now a long way from being a slum area.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Wookie

Let me say to you that if you could walk from Maribyrnong High to the Western Oval in 10 minutes, you are the fastest walker on Earth.

Thats not what I said. I lived 10 minutes walk from the Western Oval. I went to high school at Maribyrnong High - via tram, since that detail appaears to be important to you.

Last edited:
May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Thats not what I said. I lived 10 minutes walk from the Western Oval. I went to high school at Maribyrnong High - via tram, since that detail appaears to be important to you.

Wookie

Apologies if I misunderstood, but geez, to walk from Maribyrnong High to the Western Oval in 10 minutes, I thought to myself, that's some feat.

In fact, even if you caught the tram from right outside your main gate, and got off at the Powell Hotel, you'd still be walking another 10 minutes (or close enough).

At least I know you exited your school, for the most part via the main gate on River St, meaning you weren't frequenting and taking part in the nefarious activities to be found on the overgrown hillocks out back which separated the school from Highpoint West.

I am comforted by that thought.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
At least I know you exited your school, for the most part via the main gate on River St, meaning you weren't frequenting and taking part in the nefarious activities to be found on the overgrown hillocks out back which separated the school from Highpoint West.

Pfft thats what lunchtime was for.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
Aah, I see!!

So you are not objecting to poker machines, just the fact that the club representing the western suburbs is not getting the profits from said poker machines......that you would rather the western bulldogs be the ones to rip off the so-called poor people of the western suburbs, not a club from the beastly rich eastern side of melbourne...

Seems a bit hypocritical don't you think?

p.s.

..where do you live Gigantor?....you follow GWS, but have been very vocal in this discussion. You seem to know the area very well. If you have left the area, how long ago? I ask because it is now a long way from being a slum area.

If any club should profit from the misery of Melbourne's underclass, it should be that club which is domiciled amongst the same underclass (considering it is a club which doesn't have two coins to rub together).

A wealthy club like Hawthorn, from the prosperous, leafy Eastern suburbs, has a large presence in the bulldogs' backyard because people on lower incomes and of lesser education are more likely to lose money on pokies than higher income, better educated citizens. Personally, I find it objectionable that a club domiciled in the Eastern suburbs would wish to take advantage of an underclass living on the opposite side of the city.

Hawthorn don't need that extra revenue, and therefore should leave it to a club which does need that revenue, especially when that club, the bulldogs, represents that constituency.

I have lived the bulk of my life in Southern NSW in various places (some 70% of my life).

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
If any club should profit from the misery of Melbourne's underclass, it should be that club which is domiciled amongst the same underclass (considering it is a club which doesn't have two coins to rub together).

More of the same crap. Not least because they've had the oppoirtunities, and it didnt matter then.

A wealthy club like Hawthorn, from the prosperous, leafy Eastern suburbs, has a large presence in the bulldogs' backyard because people on lower incomes and of lesser education are more likely to lose money on pokies than higher income, better educated citizens. Personally, I find it objectionable that a club domiciled in the Eastern suburbs would wish to take advantage of an underclass living on the opposite side of the city.

Personally, I dont think it matters where a business is located in a city as long as they run an entirely legal operation as written in legislation.

Hawthorn don't need that extra revenue, and therefore should leave it to a club which does need that revenue, especially when that club, the bulldogs, represents that constituency.

Begs the question as to whether the western suburbs - Footscray and the surrounds have a large population of folks from south east asia for example - feel that they are representated by ANY Australian football club, and whether that disconnect between the local population and the club has more to do with its present financial state than who runs the local pokies establishment.

Much like Hawthorn who couldnt gain any traction while based at Glenferrie despite winning every other flag in the 80s, damn near merged in the 90s, had big financial problems in the until the early 2000s and didnt really come good until they moved further east and actually developed a proper business plan, including the sale of a third of their games interstate - and staying committed to the course.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
^ It's great that Hawthorn found success moving further out East - and that's where they should stay - leave the West to the struggling bulldogs who don't have two coins to rub together.

And as Ive pointed out many times in this thread. The Dogs not having money doesnt stem from Hawthorn having it instead - the Dogs have had, and still have pokies operations in the West. Not every club with a pokies operation makes a lot of money.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
And as Ive pointed out many times in this thread. The Dogs not having money doesnt stem from Hawthorn having it instead - the Dogs have had, and still have pokies operations in the West. Not every club with a pokies operation makes a lot of money.

Begs the question whether the AFL will equalise the take from pokies based on the Hawks?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Begs the question whether the AFL will equalise the take from pokies based on the Hawks?

Begs the question as to whether the league can do anything about it - or whether it should even if it has the legal power to do so. The league can reduce any extra distributions based on the profitability of the club, something which it already proposes to do - but will still have to provide the base amounts to do with player salary negotiations and tv rights revenue distributions, however Hawthorn hasnt recieved much in the way of these anyway.

It also begs the question as to why Hawthorn can rise from near death, but other clubs in similar situations at the same time in the mid to late 90s havent been able to despite access to similar or the same opportunities. Look at crowds, memberships and finances over the same period, and the turnaround comes down to management decisions that went right at hawthorn and were ignored elsewhere.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Last edited:

Prudster

Premiership Player
Aug 30, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFL are using the Hawks as the baseline for doling out money.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/6cb84b60d0e3ab4b04bffc6b7895c97e

As Wookie posted, the Hawks have done heaps right whilst others have stumbled. I admire what the Hawks are doing both on & off field, with good people the key.
Not surprisingly the footy media have ignored what the AFL is planning to do.

Right, but why would they specifically equalise pokies revenue? Or do you mean equalise it in the general sense as part of Hawthorn's total revenue/profit?

As with most sorts of equalisation, you're generally going to be punishing teams who do things well, and advantaging teams who do things poorly. But ultimately the goal is to make sure every team is financially sound enough to be competitive on field, and as long as there is some sort of benefit for the bigger clubs to continue doing things well and investing in profitable ventures, they will continue to do so.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFL are using the Hawks as the baseline for doling out money.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...e/news-story/6cb84b60d0e3ab4b04bffc6b7895c97e

As Wookie posted, the Hawks have done heaps right whilst others have stumbled. I admire what the Hawks are doing both on & off field, with good people the key.
Not surprisingly the footy media have ignored what the AFL is planning to do.

I think its largely because its the same thing the AFL has been doing for the last 5 years. Clubs making money didnt recieve much in the way of extra funding in this deal either.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Right, but why would they specifically equalise pokies revenue? Or do you mean equalise it in the general sense as part of Hawthorn's total revenue/profit?

As with most sorts of equalisation, you're generally going to be punishing teams who do things well, and advantaging teams who do things poorly. But ultimately the goal is to make sure every team is financially sound enough to be competitive on field, and as long as there is some sort of benefit for the bigger clubs to continue doing things well and investing in profitable ventures, they will continue to do so.

No argument from me.

As for poor management decisions resulting in a big cost, will the AFL just fund it, no consequences.

Then there are examples such as stadium deals at Subi & Geelong*, where the winners are the clubs concerned - will the government bodies that support both Subi & Geelong, need to find a different way to support footy in their area because the AFL penalise these clubs thru reduced funding.

* is the stadium deal a significant contributor to the profits extracted from Taswegians?

Back