Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
VICTORIAN clubs have begun circling Fremantle free agent Chris Mayne.

Mayne is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the end of this season and has yet to open contract talks with Freo.

The hard-working forward has made a slow start to 2016, kicking just two goals from the opening four rounds.

But the West Australian is still just 27 and, at his best, is a dangerous medium forward who applies elite defensive pressure.

Industry sources believe Mayne is on the radar of some Victorian clubs but a genuine suitor is yet to emerge.

However, rival offers should come in for the forward, whose girlfriend is from Sydney, if he remains out of contract in the latter part of the season.

The forward had a disappointing 2014 but bounced back last season, when he finished third at Fremantle for goals (28) and goal assists (14), and led the club in tackles (122).

Mayne is in his ninth season at Freo but this is his first opportunity to explore free agency.

Drafted at pick No.40 in the 2007 NAB AFL Draft, Mayne has played 154 games and kicked 180 goals.

I'd say he'd be on Carlton's radar, whom are obviously without quality forward pocket players. Could see Essendon and Melbourne interested as well to relieve forward numbers and make good additions. He's fallen a bit in recent years but he is talented and at 27, I think he definitely has some quality years to add to any team

Neale gone as well

Let's not derail this thread away from the topic, but if you want my opinion on Neale I will keep it brief:
- If he wants to stay, sign him up. Give him 5 years if he wants. He is elite.
- If he wants to go, Meh. Get what we can for him and go to the draft / trade table a lot better equipped than anytime in the last 6 years.

As for Mayne..... Happy for him to move on for other opportunities if we are going to rejuvenate the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlikely:
Carlton - surely not, trying to get a younger list not older. Everett is a 3rd tall forward option how it is
Collingwood - nah, they have to take their medicine and rebuild, how does he help? Fasolo and Elliott can mark. Plus Howe.
Melbourne - don't think so, we need cap space for outside mids and kickers and room in the forward line for young mids
Hawthorn - doubt it, they'll want the cap space for a big recruit and don't lack forward pressure
Essendon - think they'll be rebuilding, fitting existing players in the cap and/or letting Hooker go in free agency and won't mess with the compo
Bulldogs - Crameri back next year. Boyd, Stringer, Dickson. I think they've got the right forward mix.

Possibly:
Saints - if Bruce is 2nd ruck and McCartin forward then maybe he's the 3rd tall if Riewoldt goes, Membrey doesn't seem to be working. But again I think it's early in their rebuild
Geelong - their time is now. Would he be a decent upgrade on Kersten?
North - they do love a free agent and maybe Petrie retires and they just want another ready to go forward even if he plays differently?

Maybe:
Richmond - could be a good fit with Vickery and Riewoldt, would toughen their forward pressure up alongside Rioli and give them a path to goal

Wouldn`t even want him at our local country club. Surely if a club is desperate enough for a dud, Mayne would come cheap, be surprised if a couple of carrots didn't get the deal done.

Clearly going to lave Freo. A club that's heading into a total rebuild, the guy's finished. Amazed anyone, including Fremantle, are offering a contract. I sure wouldn't be if I was Ross.

Would expect him to be very similar to Jarrad Grant with us last year.
No offers until right at the death if a team thinks they need someone of his age profile that they don't think they'll get anywhere else.

Would expect him to be very similar to Jarrad Grant with us last year.
No offers until right at the death if a team thinks they need someone of his age profile that they don't think they'll get anywhere else.
Was Grant a FA? ... Im sure there will be teams that would like to have a FA like him come in. Not sure if id bring him to Geelong but there will be some Geelong supporters that would say yes. Suit Rich id have thought.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back