Free Agency Chris Mayne [signed with Collingwood]

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually reckon he would be a good addition at Melbourne - he seems like the kind of guy who will be rubbish in a poor team (which is what Fremantle are right now), but in a team that plays attacking footy and loves the physical side of the game, he could be very handy.
Watts, Kent, Petracca, Garlett etc. We're good thanks.

Watts, Kent, Petracca, Garlett etc. We're good thanks.

I'll give you Garlett (who is not really comparable at all in player type to Mayne) but wouldn't say I have a significant amount of confidence in any of the others. Certainly not saying Melbourne needs him or anything, but probably the best fit I think of any vic club.

I'd take him as a straight swap for Shane Kersten since Fremantle will be down the bottom of the ladder until they have a successful attacking game plan or until Ross Lyon figures out how to use the new rule changes to his advantage. I don't think Kersten will ever kick more than 30 goals a season as long as he plays whereas Mayne has already done that twice in his career. Geelong has a history as of late in resurrecting players careers such as Rhys Stanley and Jared Rivers and we were so close to doing the same to Mitch Clark but he has personal reasons which are irrelevant to the sport of AFL.

Do Fremantle really need him since they've got an aging list and may take a while to head back up to the ladder? Wouldn't they rather take a player who is 5 years younger than Mayne and hope he succeeds over the next 8 years rather than lose Mayne to retirement within the next 3 years? Based off the first 5 rounds this year, it seems as if Fremantle won't be in the top 8 anytime soon and Geelong look like they could give top four a shake between 2016-18, one last potential flag tilt. Mayne is a ready made player and could slot in well for Geelong if he gets his kicking sorted and could be highly beneficial to the Geelong forward line as a legitimate target who is capable of kicking 40 goals.

What may help this case is that the vast majority of Fremantle fans don't seem to want Mayne while not many of Geelong ones want Kersten. Lastly Shane Kersten is a Western Australian while Chris Mayne suits our needed age criteria.

Would have him at Collingwood, if he was a year or two younger (he'll be 28 by season's end). Would be an upgrade on Jarryd Blair, who plays a similar role for the Pies now. Might be worth it anyway, if the price is right.

Mayne is a different player to Blair. Both should be surplus to requirements anyway.

I'd take him as a straight swap for Shane Kersten since Fremantle will be down the bottom of the ladder until they have a successful attacking game plan or until Ross Lyon figures out how to use the new rule changes to his advantage. I don't think Kersten will ever kick more than 30 goals a season as long as he plays whereas Mayne has already done that twice in his career. Geelong has a history as of late in resurrecting players careers such as Rhys Stanley and Jared Rivers and we were so close to doing the same to Mitch Clark but he has personal reasons which are irrelevant to the sport of AFL.

Do Fremantle really need him since they've got an aging list and may take a while to head back up to the ladder? Wouldn't they rather take a player who is 5 years younger than Mayne and hope he succeeds over the next 8 years rather than lose Mayne to retirement within the next 3 years? Based off the first 5 rounds this year, it seems as if Fremantle won't be in the top 8 anytime soon and Geelong look like they could give top four a shake between 2016-18, one last potential flag tilt. Mayne is a ready made player and could slot in well for Geelong if he gets his kicking sorted and could be highly beneficial to the Geelong forward line as a legitimate target who is capable of kicking 40 goals.

What may help this case is that the vast majority of Fremantle fans don't seem to want Mayne while not many of Geelong ones want Kersten. Lastly Shane Kersten is a Western Australian while Chris Mayne suits our needed age criteria.
Would consider that option.

I'll give you Garlett (who is not really comparable at all in player type to Mayne) but wouldn't say I have a significant amount of confidence in any of the others. Certainly not saying Melbourne needs him or anything, but probably the best fit I think of any vic club.
Speaks more to your knowledge of my team than anything else. Would not sniff a game. Ben Kennedy has him comfortably covered and he's fringe.

All jokes aside, I can full seeing this play out similar to Mitch Morton at Sydney in 2012. Plays reserves all year for a Vic team (say North or WB), gets the opportunity through injury 2 rounds out before finals, plays out of his skin, premiership, profit, retire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and why would you swap anyone for a Unrestricted FA?

and Kersten is 23 compare to 27.5 , when did Mayne kick his 30+ goals..2012,2013 ...

Mayne is a free agent and so you don't have to trade. Plus Kersten isn't a key position, more a third tall and won't solve our problem up forward.

Mayne is a free agent and so you don't have to trade. Plus Kersten isn't a key position, more a third tall and won't solve our problem up forward.
I've realised he's a free agent since posting that but Mayne plays a third tall role too, doesn't he? By the way Kersten has 3cm on Mayne. 191-188

Remove this Banner Ad

Back