Victorian Covid Outbreak 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

You hold senior decision makers accountable for decisions on policy. Andrews et al will and should not be held responsible because some operational beurocrat 10 levels of management below them didn't update a manual. Which looks like the kinda stuff reported to be in the worksafe charges.

I'd suggest reading the link in full:

'The back-and-forth between the agencies and their lawyers also included a WorkSafe investigator issuing directions in person at the department's offices.

When the issue made it to court in June of this year, an interlocutory suppression order was put in place.

The notices to produce the contact tracing information were withdrawn in September, when WorkSafe charged the department with 58 breaches of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in the hotel quarantine system.

The department's failure to produce the documents was set to go to trial in mid-October, but the court date was replaced with a WorkSafe application for a suppression order covering the matter to be lifted and for a summary judgment from the court.

WorkSafe and the Herald Sun newspaper, which first reported the details of the case today, wanted the suppression order lifted.

The department argued for the suppression order to remain in place for five years, saying if details of the summary judgment were made public, it would lead to uncertainty in the community.'

I'd suggest reading the link in full:

'The back-and-forth between the agencies and their lawyers also included a WorkSafe investigator issuing directions in person at the department's offices.

When the issue made it to court in June of this year, an interlocutory suppression order was put in place.

The notices to produce the contact tracing information were withdrawn in September, when WorkSafe charged the department with 58 breaches of the Occupational Health and Safety Act in the hotel quarantine system.

The department's failure to produce the documents was set to go to trial in mid-October, but the court date was replaced with a WorkSafe application for a suppression order covering the matter to be lifted and for a summary judgment from the court.

WorkSafe and the Herald Sun newspaper, which first reported the details of the case today, wanted the suppression order lifted.

The department argued for the suppression order to remain in place for five years, saying if details of the summary judgment were made public, it would lead to uncertainty in the community.'
im not sure what that has to do with what i said? i dont support suppressing the contact tracing (or other) information in the face of investigations, unless there are indeed real privacy issues. However i do also see merit in delaying the investigation until the contact tracing system is not so critical, so that the right wing nutters have less ability to use it as a tool to convince gullible people over to their side.

but again, apart from broadly commissioning the system, andrews and the ministers have little if anything to do with whether the system works or not. they will have employed experts in the field to design, build and run the system, which had to be designed and implemented in weeks or even days and essentially tested live in the field. holding them criminally liable for specific failures in the working of the system is an absurd suggestion. why arent people suing the feds for their even more incompetent contact tracing app? It would be like holding gil mcloughlan responsible for why freo gws or gc havent won a flag yet. he can build and pay for the system, but its still up to others to run it properly.

Would be interesting to do some general population to estimate the actual prevalence in Vic (and the country).

Victoria’s hospitalisation rate is 2% of current active cases. There would be some lag from the recent spike. But I suspect it would be at least balanced by the number of missed cases.

Further, cases peaked in South Africa a month after they started climbing due to omicron, and are on a clear downward trend despite minimal restrictions. Is it possible omicron ran through their population and they’ve now reached herd immunity? If so omicron could be a genuine turning point in the pandemic. The next month will be bumpy but with a vaxxed population and a seemingly less severe variant, it won’t be devastating - and perhaps after that things will become much smoother.

Would be interesting to do some general population to estimate the actual prevalence in Vic (and the country).

Victoria’s hospitalisation rate is 2% of current active cases. There would be some lag from the recent spike. But I suspect it would be at least balanced by the number of missed cases.

Further, cases peaked in South Africa a month after they started climbing due to omicron, and are on a clear downward trend despite minimal restrictions. Is it possible omicron ran through their population and they’ve now reached herd immunity? If so omicron could be a genuine turning point in the pandemic. The next month will be bumpy but with a vaxxed population and a seemingly less severe variant, it won’t be devastating - and perhaps after that things will become much smoother.
Be careful. Optimism can be twisted into complacency. They'll then be after you.

I think the number of infections would be double the official statistics or more
I know so many people who can’t get tested have just rode the virus and recovered

"The Australian economy has recovered to where it was before the COVID-19 pandemic, with new figures showing GDP expanding by 3.4 per cent in the final three months of 2021."
“As always, the national accounts report is old news,” ANZ senior economist Felicity Emmett wrote in a note.

The Australian economy may have surged into the new year but economists are already bracing for the impact of the Omicron wave, rising inflation, and mounting Ukraine-Russia tensions.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday reported gross domestic product for the December quarter expanded by 3.4 per cent as lockdowns in NSW and Victoria lifted and consumers ripped their wallets open in a spending surge.

“As always, the national accounts report is old news,” ANZ senior economist Felicity Emmett wrote in a note.

The Australian economy may have surged into the new year but economists are already bracing for the impact of the Omicron wave, rising inflation, and mounting Ukraine-Russia tensions.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics on Wednesday reported gross domestic product for the December quarter expanded by 3.4 per cent as lockdowns in NSW and Victoria lifted and consumers ripped their wallets open in a spending surge.

So lockdowns didn't kill the economy?

No, its left to future generations to deal with as we all know.
No free leg ups beyond the financial resources left on which the country survives/falls/prospers over future decades. Like most things, there will be lifters needing to do more than the leaners .....

For example: WA’s ore-inspiring $5 billion surplus revealed
Why though?

How many industries were truly hit hard?

Hospitality, tourism? What else?

And most of those that could function, were busier than ever.

Because most industries kept going, the money kept rolling around. It's just that most people didn't spend it - which they're now doing.

No doubt lockdowns had some negative impacts on some people, but killing the economy was not one of them.

Why though?

How many industries were truly hit hard?

Hospitality, tourism? What else?

And most of those that could function, were busier than ever.

Because most industries kept going, the money kept rolling around. It's just that most people didn't spend it - which they're now doing.

No doubt lockdowns had some negative impacts on some people, but killing the economy was not one of them.

I'd wait for a time before I drew the line under covid. The sharp end is indeed tourism & whats left is yet to be established beyond PR offerings, as we see from hospitality.

At some point borrowings become a problem, see Probuild, a today example of the effect of covid.
No doubt there are many for whom the pay packet kept on - do we know how many?

Like your optimism, hope your are right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd wait for a time before I drew the line under covid. The sharp end is indeed tourism & whats left is yet to be established beyond PR offerings, as we see from hospitality.

At some point borrowings become a problem, see Probuild, a today example of the effect of covid.
No doubt there are many for whom the pay packet kept on - do we know how many?

Like your optimism, hope your are right.
There's obviously going through be some impact due to COVID. That's unavoidable.

It's the lockdowns specifically that didn't have the impact some were claiming they would.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back