Victorian government bans school kids from using mobile phones

Remove this Banner Ad

Using your phone is not a human right. I completely understand schools and workplaces that try to discourage it as much as possible.
But what if some schools (and workplaces) see the positives of allowing phones in the classroom? If teachers don't like them they've always had the power to ban them.

Last edited:
But what if some schools (and workplaces) see the positives of allowing phones in the classroom? If teachers don't like them they've always had the power to ban them. This is a total ban that every teacher would be asked to enforce. No phones on your person during class or any breaks unless you get permission. It's not enforceable.

Alternatively, it's a blanket rule that gives teachers one less thing to distract them from teaching.

Exactly, which is why your statement is clearly absurd from the outset.

Same could be said about your statement about Plato etc criticising the youth being a myth.

You could find more recent articles on older Gens, the Gen X, the Bombers etc being criticised by their ancestors also.

The chess thing might be inaccurate, but it might also be accurate. It is not uncommon for people to be afraid of the new or recent thing, especially when the youth are engulfed in it.

Alternatively, it's a blanket rule that gives teachers one less thing to distract them from teaching.
Well, I view classroom management and the setting and enforcing of classroom etiquette as being key elements of teaching. And I think those things should largely be left up to the individual and how they choose to control their room, and not decided by some dweeb from the state government. But we'll agree to disagree.

Or rising rates of ADD, 'anxiety', and depression.

I use to think that was massively exaggerated. (ADD etc) But if anything it is massively under diagnosed. And manifests in may ways not just smart phones. The 1 in 4 mental illness/issues I used to think was crap but if anything it is more like 1 in 4 are unaffected.
We live in a sick society.

I worked in a job for several years where I was never allowed to bring tech devices into the workplace (external lock-box or leave at home). Another workplace you weren't allowed to eat anything anywhere in the facility except the lunchroom. Business environments each have their particular risks, you get used to them fairly easily. Easy enough for most people to switch off life at the door, contact at work phone if need be.

Well, I view classroom management and the setting and enforcing of classroom etiquette as being key elements of teaching. And I think those things should largely be left up to the individual and how they choose to control their room, and not decided by some dweeb from the state government. But we'll agree to disagree.

You also think that you need to 'check your notifications' in class so I'll take your opinion with a grain of salt there.

I do agree that classroom management and the setting and enforcing of classroom etiquette as being key elements of teaching but I don't believe we should be making that harder than it needs to be. Once upon a time of a kid was a little kent he got a whack with a ruler, but we cut that out. Instead it moved to detentions and an approach of removing the trouble makers to the other kids could learn. These days we're all about inclusiveness. Kids that were once considered no hopers need to learn too so they get behaviour management plans. So more work for the teacher, less classroom time dedicated to teaching.

In parallel to this we've seen huge change in the attitude of parents. Whether you are a teacher, parent, student or like me none of the above the whole dynamic functions on alignment. 'Mum I got detention' 'What did you do?' 'Well I hit Timmy with a tennis racquet but-' 'Well you deserved detention then. Do it again and you'll get worse than detention when you get home' is a bit of a relic. More like 'Mum I got detention' 'Right who gave you detention, I'm going to go into the school and have the principal discipline them. No one punishes my precious unique angel'. There are teachers on this site, they can vouch for this stuff. I'm 34 and in my graduating class of 150-200 kids in year 12 there were a couple still on ADD meds of some sort (a few grew out of it in puberty), and no one with depression or anxiety that I can recall or that was public knowledge. What do you reckon that would be now? Not being diagnosed with something is the new not having a tattoo. 'I can't give a presentation in front of class, I have anxiety'. FMD, as opposed to the rest of us awkward teenagers who thrived on public speaking? This thread doesn't surprise me at all. Phones in class being seen as some kind of right is just another step along the path.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing is, let the kids use it at lunch and morning tea breaks ffs. It might be different now, but when I was at school, you couldn’t even use your phone during breaks.

If they let kids do that they might be less inclined to use them during class.
The problem there is that it leads to all sorts of bullying. Students videoing and taking photos of others, using social media inappropriately... there is a good reason that phones are banned out in the yard as well as the classroom. Most schools would have the same policy, phones away in lockers before the start of the first lesson and they are kept there until the end of the day. The fact people can't go 2 minutes without glancing at their phone suggests there is a serious problem (adults can be just as bad).
But what if some schools (and workplaces) see the positives of allowing phones in the classroom? If teachers don't like them they've always had the power to ban them.
I have never heard of a case where a school sees any positives in allowing smartphones in the classroom. Check the time? There is a clock. Calculator? Schools usually supply calculators to students. Research? They have laptops (and even they can cause problems due to students surfing random sites on the internet rather than doing work). If we're talking about setting kids up for the future, then I don't think many workplaces would be pleased with employees who sit on their phones all day and do no work, which is what we're seeing with a number of students now, especially in the last decade with the introduction of smartphones. While government intervention isn't really necessary, schools ban phones and for good reason.

Once again I'll point out that I'm not a high school student in a classroom so this remains irrelevant.

You're paid to work, not check your notifications on your smartphone.

I go on here during work hours too but lets not pretend that feeling the need to check notifications during work hours is suddenly fine because you're not a teen in a classroom.

I wish the same rule applied for the workplace. The number of execs, GMs, minions, etc. I've been in meetings with, leading workshops or training, etc. and the dumb campaigners can't get off their dick sticks for half an hour.

Now after banning phones from schools they should also ban bogans. :)

The problem there is that it leads to all sorts of bullying. Students videoing and taking photos of others, using social media inappropriately... there is a good reason that phones are banned out in the yard as well as the classroom. Most schools would have the same policy, phones away in lockers before the start of the first lesson and they are kept there until the end of the day. The fact people can't go 2 minutes without glancing at their phone suggests there is a serious problem (adults can be just as bad).
Yeah the videoing of bullying/fighting can be bad. Surely most of that takes place outside of school hours though.

I have never heard of a case where a school sees any positives in allowing smartphones in the classroom. Check the time? There is a clock. Calculator? Schools usually supply calculators to students. Research? They have laptops (and even they can cause problems due to students surfing random sites on the internet rather than doing work).
What about class schedules, calendars, planners, voice memos/notes, photographs of teacher's notes, group messenger for collaborative projects? I think it would be more beneficial if students were allowed to get used to using the digital versions of these tools. I certainly didn't walk around with a physical copy of my class schedule while at uni.

If we're talking about setting kids up for the future, then I don't think many workplaces would be pleased with employees who sit on their phones all day and do no work
They can do that on work-provided desktops/laptops. Let's not pretend that working adults don't waste as much time (if not more) goofing off at work as teenagers do goofing off in class. I wouldn't want the government telling me I can't take my phone to work. Smartphones can of course be a distraction but surely the bigger issue is developing ways to keep kids engaged.

Last edited:
so you're unemployed or work from home then?

Plenty of places have a no phones policy when you are at your desk or in a meeting, I've got mates you can't contact during the day unless you ring their work number because their employer has rules about phones and social media
Bingo. On one. I'll let you guess.

I've worked in all manner of environments and some it's impossible to get a phone out (gloves, too busy, etc) or you're just going to get a rep for being lazy.

I use my phone a ludicrous amount because I've been an internet abuser since about 14. ******* obsessed with the s**t. So much information, so much to read. I love just going onto the same old websites and reading whatever article they've put up, there's always some soccer player from 2005 who pops into my head and where he's playing now... all this information, all this knowledge, all these pretty paintings, and all this nonsense on tap. If you're a quizzical mind, how can you not?

I think the education system is ****ed and I think they're very backward. One day it's going to dawn on them how useless and impractical it's been for the last ten years. They'll be reactive – not proactive – and let's wait and see how that plays out. The WA Education Department would chop and change protocol and syllabus every year so let's wait and see how ****ed it'll be when they go all out, proper wholesale changes.

I guess what I'm saying is I'm a byproduct of the phone and media and I also think it's ****ed I am.

Jobe Watson is saying * being told what to do when you're an adult and legally able to join in with all things that are great. By teachers. It's different when you're an employee. There's a natural dynamic. You have to suck that s**t. But teachers? Why should you be degraded, humiliated, and talked down to when you've already made 99% of your learning and social skills (aka the purpose of the school)? Why do you have to eat that?

Even back when I was a kid, I'd see teachers texting and we weren't. This fat pommy teacher, who used to bully a mate of mine because his face was 'red' (his family was dirt poor and he was a noble, kind soul) would go off her nut at the blokes for texting and then do it herself.

If I'm not allowed to text as a student, why should you be able to on the job? You're supposed to be learning.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're paid to work, not check your notifications on your smartphone.

I go on here during work hours too but lets not pretend that feeling the need to check notifications during work hours is suddenly fine because you're not a teen in a classroom.

Am I not working?

Went to a meeting the other day. Lasted over 2.5 hours. Had a laptop in there (didn't end up needing it) and managed not to check emails or BigFooty etc. Phone sat on my desk in my office. Life went on. Again not really comparable to a student in a lesson. Almost like during a period of engagement I was, well, engaged.

Should I not check my phone or read BigFooty at all during work hours? Probably, but then it's after 5pm and I'm still here (probably because I've been ITT yes). If I choose to go on the internets during the day that's on me, I'll be judged on work performance. You could say the same for kids at school but then many get distracted and do poorly as a result and it's the aim of the teacher for that not to occur. Plus, perks of being an adult.

Yeah the videoing of bullying/fighting can be bad. Surely most of that takes place outside of school hours though.
You'd be surprised.

What about class schedules, calendars, planners, voice memos/notes, photographs of teacher's notes, group messenger for collaborative projects? I think it would be more beneficial if students were allowed to get used to using the digital versions of these tools. I certainly didn't walk around with a physical copy of my class schedule while at uni.
Schools use online management systems (DayMap, Edmodo etc.) which both staff and students use.Daily notices, Staff and student timetables are available and teachers can upload lesson plans and resources (videos, online articles, copies of pages from textbooks) for students to access online.

They can do that on work-provided desktops/laptops. Let's not pretend that working adults don't waste as much (if not more) time goofing off at work as teenagers do goofing off in class. I wouldn't want the government telling me I can't take my phone to work. Smartphones can of course be a distraction but surely the bigger issue is developing ways to keep kids engaged.
I do agree that this doesn't require government intervention as most schools will already have anti-phone policies put into place. As for keeping students engaged? It can be tough as every student is different. Teachers can try their best to keep every student engaged but, realistically, there will always be a small handful who are not interested.

You could find more recent articles on older Gens, the Gen X, the Bombers etc being criticised by their ancestors also.
Cool, let's see some examples and then compare them with people today saying smartphones in class is a bad idea.

See if there is any relevance whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back