Victorian government bans school kids from using mobile phones

Let's go through them one by one. Which of my claims do you disagree with the most?
Are you going to back up your claims like you said you would?
If not then all you are doing is trolling

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Are you going to back up your claims like you said you would?
If not then all you are doing is trolling
Tell me which of my claims you disagree with and we can proceed.

Or are you trying to pretend you disagree when really you do not disagree with me?

Because that is what trolls do.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Older people: Don’t go anywhere without your phone! What else are you going to do in an emergency??

Next minute: You kids cannot live without those damn phones!
Kids should have dumb phones. Dumb phones are one of the best inventions ever. Can call and text in emergencies.

Schools should say exception to ban is dumb phones perhaps. See how many kids want dumb phones.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
My mum can't change a tyre or do auto repairs and I don't think it's because she's spent her life on her smartphone. Blaming technology for kids lacking basic skills is an easy way to shift blame away from bad parenting/teaching.

She can probably cook and sew though.

You must have spent a lot of time on your phone in class. I'm not blaming technology for anything. Overreliance on technology and addiction to technology are not technology.l It's 100% poor parenting to raise kids that are too technology dependent. Teachers are supposed to teach, not correct poor parenting.

I have a smartphone, and a laptop, and a TV... I'm not driving around in a 1971 Cortina marking out servos in my UBD that still sell leaded petrol. I use Google maps all the time, but if I'm phoneless or there's no signal or whatever I'm not suddenly anxiety ridden and despondent. I just think that if you can't manage basic life skills without having an iPhone glued to your palm then you probably won't make it too far in life.

Blues177

Club Legend
Oct 3, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
Policy already present at some government schools. Have 2 kids at secondary school (year 8 & 9) and phone ban was always in place from the time they started there.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
She can probably cook
What, and people who have grown up with smartphones can't? Can't do basic math, can't change a tyre. Thank God we have so many Melways-reading geniuses in their mid-30s who can keep society running.

You must have spent a lot of time on your phone in class. I'm not blaming technology for anything. Overreliance on technology and addiction to technology are not technology.l It's 100% poor parenting to raise kids that are too technology dependent. Teachers are supposed to teach, not correct poor parenting.
No one is trying to say that over-reliance on technology is a good thing. It's the notion that kids having smartphones on them during class is such a detriment to learning that it needs to be banned by the state government, instead of leaving it up to individual schools to decide what's best for them, that is being questioned.

Of course some kids are going to use their phones to goof off, but others will use it as a study tool. There's a reason why they cancelled a no phone policy in New York - there's not a lot of definitive research to either support or go against having phones in the classroom and it's not an enforceable rule anyway.

Last edited:
I find it amusing when the older generation criticize kids' behaviours when it's the older generation who raised them. Kids aren't born with a propensity to use their phones.
School pickup used to be a good social occasion but now all parents avoid each other by looking at their mobiles.

Aug 18, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Our primary school already had a ban and im not sure why a primary school kid needs a mobile phone anyway. Need to make a call or talk to your kid in an emergency, use/call the office phone like we had to as kids.

Im sure in high school it would be a big issue so I think its a great idea. Not needed in school hours, put them away.

used to love it when Mum got talking to my friends mum at school pickup - got to play with the other kids longer
That and the school now has rules about "No teacher no play" on the play equipment. After school used to be good to catch up with parents and organise things for the kids.

What the hell kind of rule is this? We used to use the basketball court or oval on the weekend. Do you need a teacher present for that?
Dunno.

They have a tennis court club thing where you can book the tennis courts for a small fee.

Back