Victorian Government Stadium Funding Agreement details

Discussion in 'AFL Stadiums' started by The_Wookie, Apr 13, 2018.

Put it out there
  1. its been done

its been done Debutant

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
    Surprising that the Altona Roosters, a powerhouse in the Victorian Rugby League who produced Gareth Widdop, didn't get any funding

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Kwality

Kwality Brownlow Medallist

West Coast
    Other teams:
    I'd be careful taking political spin as fact.

Roogal likes this.
  3. Prince Imperial

Prince Imperial Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Yorkshireman who migrated to Melbourne at age of 16.

4. aCunningPlan

aCunningPlan Premium Gold

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Some very good issues raised here, I always dreaded working in the GSS when I was there with Epicure. The facilities were woeful; there was next to no space at all to cook the food, and you were dancing around so many people around you, it really was a safety hazard. The pressure was on too, I don't know how much people ate in 1989 but our facilities were struggling to keep up with demand today simply because we didn't have the space to expand.

I was over the moon when I was permanently shifted to the food store on level one in the Olympic stand...by far the best designed food outlet at the ground for both patrons and staff. Easy flow and plenty of space for patrons in and out. Large areas for staff to prep and cook food...we even had two deep fryers that were almost never used except for anzac and grand final day because they were simply there as excess capacity.

I feel any future rebuild of the MCG would include movable seating of the ground level to better accommodate rectangular fields.

Bomberboyokay and JohnZ like this.
  5. Rickee

Rickee Senior List

St Kilda
    Other teams:
    Port Melbourne
    As a Port Melbourne member who was at North Port today, the surface is in desperate need of better or additional drainage, yesterdays deluge made the ground pretty much a mud heap. There should also be better facilities, if AFL Victoria are still expecting the ground to be the home of the VFL Finals.

6. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Slowly but surely the real detail of the sweetheart deal that locked the Grand Final in to Melbourne is being dribbled out:
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-02/proposed-site-of-new-afl-house-revealed

The Victorian Government is set to provide land for a new AFL House in addition to the $225 million in funding for the Docklands redevelopment that includes an overhaul of the stadium and its surrounds.

The location for the League's new offices at the western end of Docklands Drive will reportedly have a lease that ends in 2057, coinciding with the end of the AFL's agreement to keep the Grand Final at the MCG.

7. rfctiger74

rfctiger74 Premium Platinum

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    Think it underlines just how much the AFL is getting from the deal, and why a public open tender wasn't needed

8. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Three blokes sitting round a table manipulating a win/win deal for each of them.

There will be more come out IMHO.

9. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    This happens all the time

Part of my job is making a preemptive offer that's good enough to stop my clients going to tender . That's exactly what happened here

10. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Exactly, done it myself, doesn't make it right, locking up the most important game of the year in a deal that is not in the best interests of all teams. Same parties entrenching the best interests of all the encumbents, discriminating against those who currently get the short straw.

11. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    GF isn't about the teams though, they only get 1/3 of the tickets

It's about the AFL maximizing it's revenues, and they have done that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Rubbish, the GF is about winning & that's why its worth it for the MCC, why they were at the table.

13. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    Bullshit

The fixture, the draft, the number of teams, the revenue shares, the salaries paid, the marketing support, the share of game times, just about everything is compromised, all about maximizing the interest in and therefore commercial appeal of our game.

Club's who learn to work the angles do well, and tbh mine didn't for a very long time

The gf is an event for the AFL, that's the reality

14. BomberDave97

BomberDave97 Draftee

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I would love to see AFL return to Princes park. I’m not a fan of Etihad and I think for low drawing Victorian matches princes park would be perfect. Not keen on giving the blues a home ground advantage but I think it’d be good for the game. North, the bulldogs and Carlton could play teams like the Gold Coast and GWS there. Only issue is Carlton decided to build their training centre behind the goals!

15. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Its certainly become an event, but we all follow the game to win the flag, even runner up is regarded as failure - that one of the beneficiaries of the decision will protect that advantage is human.
    A merit based finals system that rewards the beneficiary has been a step forward & to ditch it ifor the biggest game of the year - say no more, yet we keep hearing about equalisation, bit hollow even bullshit .. ;)

16. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    If you want fairness, fixing the fixture is the biggest priority, because it is by far the biggest distortion

Just because Richmond won suddenly this is the biggest injustice in the AFL???

17. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Richmond? Why?

Arent we discussing the Vic Govt / MCC / AFL sweetheart deal ?

18. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    No, you are discussing the gf being at the g

No-one seemed to be freaking out about it until last year though, when RFC winning was proof it's unjust.

19. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Seem to remember 2015 for some reason .... must reflect all of those decades in the doldrums for Tigers supporters, break the duck to be there, no wonder you think its all about you.

20. rfctiger74

Richmond
    Other teams:
    76'ers
    Im disappointed you think I'm one of those posters given my record on this board, and somewhat insulted.

This is the first time in 8 months ive mentioned it, despite crows and eagles fans spamming this forum for 8 months non stop

I'm sick of it, and it was never obsessed about this much previously

21. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Enjoy your posts, a light hearted dig, sorry to offend.

rfctiger74 likes this.
  22. The_Wookie

The_Wookie Queenslander

Carlton
    Other teams:
    It was. People have been complaining about the grand final situation LONG before the Tigers made it. You mostly likely notice it more now because they made it though.

Borussia Teeth and Kwality like this.
  23. Roogal

Roogal All Australian

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    North Ballarat Roosters
    Yes it can all change in an election. Take Ballarat's Mars Stadium as a case in point. Back in 2010 the then Brumby Government took to the State Election the building of a 15,000 seat, $50 million Eureka Stadium in Ballarat to the election on the promise that North Melbourne would be playing AFL games in it from 2012. It took another four years and one more change of government before the ground was built to seat 5000, and they are still waiting on the other 10,000 seats. :footy:

24. Kwality

West Coast
    Other teams:
    10k+ thru the gate 2017 - bit under 7k 2018, is it premature to up the capacity?
    http://austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=348

25. its been done

its been done Debutant

Sydney
    Other teams:
    Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
    Gold Coast aren't a high drawing team even on a good day, isn't Saturday junior footy day in some parts of the state as well?