Victorian Government Stadium Funding Agreement details

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
10k+ thru the gate 2017 - bit under 7k 2018, is it premature to up the capacity?
http://austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=348
The issue with the poor crowd at the last game really comes down to the ground's present limited capacity and how the Western Bulldogs are managing that. They are trying to prevent a situation where the ground is locking out and turning away spectators who may have travelled from afar. They are trying to prevent this by managing access to games at Mars Stadium by "booking only", there's no general admission. Further to this they charge their Club Members a $49 premium for admission to the Ballarat games. The only real solution to this is to 'up' the ground's capacity to at least 15,000 seats and have space for at least 5000 to stand. This would at least allow for the club to lift the artificial barriers that they are imposing to contain the numbers. Another issue for Mars Stadium is the lack of public transport access. There is a perfectly good railway line right next to the ground but no station or platform yet. The Ballarat Council have done a first class job coordinating transit busses that ferry people from and to designated parking areas and from the Ballarat Station, they are fast, clean and run every ten minutes; but the real solution is to construct more car parking near the ground and to build an events day train platform next to the ground.

Finally, consider that there were only 7,194 people at the North Melbourne vs GWS game yesterday at a ground where capacity isn't an issue. The GWS have only managed 10,222 people as an average attendance to their games so far for this year while GC Suns have managed 14,390. North Melbourne have averaged 24,597, while the Western Bulldogs numbers have dropped several thousand this year and are managing 25,506. Compare this with the bigger clubs Collingwood and Richmond who are averaging 59,000. Then you get a perspective of the drawing power of the Bulldogs and Gold Coast.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fizzler

#BarUp
Dec 26, 2013
Just refuelling ⛽
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
BOLTS, REN, OKC, WFC, LVB, STORM
If they’re going to charge Bulldogs members that much, and it’s their home game I’d hate to see how much they would charge me with a Victorian 11 game membership (admits you into Port games in Vic and let’s you balance out the rest with any game in Victoria except Anzac Day)

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
If they’re going to charge Bulldogs members that much, and it’s their home game I’d hate to see how much they would charge me with a Victorian 11 game membership (admits you into Port games in Vic and let’s you balance out the rest with any game in Victoria except Anzac Day)
There's no issue for the opposition club fans getting into Mars as they allocate a certain amount of space at the ground for the opposition supporters. They reserve around 60% of capacity for the Western Bulldogs Members and the remainder is allocated to the opposition. At the last game there were almost seven thousand people there in a ground that can legally hold 11,200 out of which probably about 500 were Gold Coast supporters. This tells me that the Western Bulldogs met their allocated capacity with about 6,300 present being Bulldogs supporters. Last August there was over 10,000 at the game of which about 65% present were Bulldogs Supporters but there was a solid group of at least 3,500 - 4000 Port Adelaide supporters.

Last edited:

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
Whats that cost Fizza, are you seated with the hoi poloi or seated with as a group of Port supporters?

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
They reserve around 60% of capacity for the Western Bulldogs Members and the reminder is allocated to the opposition.
You missed the general public, hopefully a game will be an event for the locals of Ballarat proper & surrounds. Give Sheeds a call?

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
You missed the general public, hopefully a game will be an event for the locals of Ballarat proper & surrounds. Give Sheeds a call?
That was my point, the general public don't really get a look in ATM which is indeed why the ground needs to be larger.

Kwality

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 14, 2011
Tootgarook
AFL Club
West Coast
That was my point, the general public don't really get a look in ATM which is indeed why the ground needs to be larger.
So there is no GA, bit hard to believe the State Govt would allow that, given its their money funding it.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
So there is no GA, bit hard to believe the State Govt would allow that, given its their money funding it.
It is hopefully only a short-term thing. If elected later this year then it is likely that a significant expansion will be announced. Plus we don't really know what announcements that they are keeping in their election war chest either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom