Victorian Government Stadium Funding Agreement details

Oct 5, 2017
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melbourne, Norwood, St George
https://www.premier.vic.gov.au/kicking-goals-for-grassroots-sport-in-williamstown/

Local sports clubs and facilities in Williamstown will share in the biggest investment in women’s and community sport in Victoria’s history thanks to the Andrews Labor Government.

Minister for Sport John Eren joined Member for Williamstown Wade Noonan today to announce $2.1 million to upgrade local sports facilities at both Bayside College Paisley and Williamstown Campuses.

More locals than ever are signing up to play sport, and clubs including Williamstown CYMS Football and Cricket Clubs, Williamstown Cricket Club, Williamstown Juniors Football Club and Williamstown Football Club’s VFL men’s and women’s teams are struggling to cater for growing demand.

The upgrades will deliver new sports fields and female-friendly change rooms, complete with lighting, providing a perfect base for training, development programs and competition.

It’s not just the clubs that will benefit, Bayside College students and local community groups will also have access to the new facilities for school competitions and local events.

The Labor Government is also helping more people in Williamstown – of all ages and abilities – get active by giving local clubs the equipment, skills and expertise they need to grow and be more competitive.

Visiting the Bayside College Williamstown Campus, Mr Eren also announced that five local clubs will share in almost $7,000 from the Sporting Club Grants Program, including:

• $2,000 to Power House Junior Rugby Union Football Club for junior coach training
  • $1,798 to Williamstown Juniors Football Club for administrator training
  • $1,000 to Barnstoneworth United Junior Football Club for new portable goals
  • $1,000 to Williamstown Congregational Cricket Club for new female uniforms
  • $1,000 to Williamstown Football Club for new women’s jumpers
This comes on top of a further $60 million for community sporting grants and $5 million for Community Sports Infrastructure Loans, which will unlock up to $100 million to upgrade local facilities.

The Victorian Budget 2018/19 will invest $241.6 million in women’s and community sport, including more than $100 million to improve facilities and access for women.

Surprising that the Altona Roosters, a powerhouse in the Victorian Rugby League who produced Gareth Widdop, didn't get any funding

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
To add to this:

Level 1 GSS is great, massive tick and is the foundation of the Northern Stands design

However:
*The ramps are non DDA compliant and there are no public service lifts, limiting wheelchairs to the back of the Level 1 seats.
*There are no retail food/beverage outlets on levels 2 and 2a, as the space is solely used by functions
*The toilets for 2/2a are located on level 2a (for public use), if someone did get to level 2 in a wheelchair, they would have to climb (pretty steep) steps to get to them, or be assisted up/down some very steep ramps
*The Level 4 facilities in general are pretty ordinary and under-sized for any event that requires level 4 to be used (ie GF day, boxing day, any crowd 70k+). The outlets are half the size they need to be considering level 4 serves the same number of people as level 1, and the concourses are dangerously crowded with lines spilling out.

Superficial Things, that are neither here nor there.
*The GSS roof blocks the screen for those who are sitting in the middle 2/3s of the stand
*There are no escalators and lifts up to level 2/2a/4
*The stand design does not allow for much natural light. It's a lot of concrete and holes (think subi 3 tier stand).
Some very good issues raised here, I always dreaded working in the GSS when I was there with Epicure. The facilities were woeful; there was next to no space at all to cook the food, and you were dancing around so many people around you, it really was a safety hazard. The pressure was on too, I don't know how much people ate in 1989 but our facilities were struggling to keep up with demand today simply because we didn't have the space to expand.

I was over the moon when I was permanently shifted to the food store on level one in the Olympic stand...by far the best designed food outlet at the ground for both patrons and staff. Easy flow and plenty of space for patrons in and out. Large areas for staff to prep and cook food...we even had two deep fryers that were almost never used except for anzac and grand final day because they were simply there as excess capacity.

I feel any future rebuild of the MCG would include movable seating of the ground level to better accommodate rectangular fields.

Rickee

All Australian
May 23, 2016
Horsham, Victoria
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne; Kalkee; Horsham Demons
As a Port Melbourne member who was at North Port today, the surface is in desperate need of better or additional drainage, yesterdays deluge made the ground pretty much a mud heap. There should also be better facilities, if AFL Victoria are still expecting the ground to be the home of the VFL Finals.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Slowly but surely the real detail of the sweetheart deal that locked the Grand Final in to Melbourne is being dribbled out:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-02/proposed-site-of-new-afl-house-revealed

The Victorian Government is set to provide land for a new AFL House in addition to the $225 million in funding for the Docklands redevelopment that includes an overhaul of the stadium and its surrounds.

The location for the League's new offices at the western end of Docklands Drive will reportedly have a lease that ends in 2057, coinciding with the end of the AFL's agreement to keep the Grand Final at the MCG.

Slowly but surely the real detail of the sweetheart deal that locked the Grand Final in to Melbourne is being dribbled out:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-02/proposed-site-of-new-afl-house-revealed

The Victorian Government is set to provide land for a new AFL House in addition to the $225 million in funding for the Docklands redevelopment that includes an overhaul of the stadium and its surrounds.

The location for the League's new offices at the western end of Docklands Drive will reportedly have a lease that ends in 2057, coinciding with the end of the AFL's agreement to keep the Grand Final at the MCG.

Think it underlines just how much the AFL is getting from the deal, and why a public open tender wasn't needed

Three blokes sitting round a table manipulating a win/win deal for each of them.

There will be more come out IMHO.

This happens all the time

Part of my job is making a preemptive offer that's good enough to stop my clients going to tender . That's exactly what happened here

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
This happens all the time

Part of my job is making a preemptive offer that's good enough to stop my clients going to tender . That's exactly what happened here

Exactly, done it myself, doesn't make it right, locking up the most important game of the year in a deal that is not in the best interests of all teams. Same parties entrenching the best interests of all the encumbents, discriminating against those who currently get the short straw.

Exactly, done it myself, doesn't make it right, locking up the most important game of the year in a deal that is not in the best interests of all teams. Same parties entrenching the best interests of all the encumbents, discriminating against those who currently get the short straw.

GF isn't about the teams though, they only get 1/3 of the tickets

It's about the AFL maximizing it's revenues, and they have done that

Rubbish, the GF is about winning & that's why its worth it for the MCC, why they were at the table.

Bullshit

The fixture, the draft, the number of teams, the revenue shares, the salaries paid, the marketing support, the share of game times, just about everything is compromised, all about maximizing the interest in and therefore commercial appeal of our game.

Club's who learn to work the angles do well, and tbh mine didn't for a very long time

The gf is an event for the AFL, that's the reality

BomberDave97

Draftee
May 17, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
I would love to see AFL return to Princes park. I’m not a fan of Etihad and I think for low drawing Victorian matches princes park would be perfect. Not keen on giving the blues a home ground advantage but I think it’d be good for the game. North, the bulldogs and Carlton could play teams like the Gold Coast and GWS there. Only issue is Carlton decided to build their training centre behind the goals!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Bullshit

The fixture, the draft, the number of teams, the revenue shares, the salaries paid, the marketing support, the share of game times, just about everything is compromised, all about maximizing the interest in and therefore commercial appeal of our game.

Club's who learn to work the angles do well, and tbh mine didn't for a very long time

The gf is an event for the AFL, that's the reality

Its certainly become an event, but we all follow the game to win the flag, even runner up is regarded as failure - that one of the beneficiaries of the decision will protect that advantage is human.
A merit based finals system that rewards the beneficiary has been a step forward & to ditch it ifor the biggest game of the year - say no more, yet we keep hearing about equalisation, bit hollow even bullshit .. ;)

Its certainly become an event, but we all follow the game to win the flag, even runner up is regarded as failure - that one of the beneficiaries of the decision will protect that advantage is human.
A merit based finals system that rewards the beneficiary has been a step forward & to ditch it ifor the biggest game of the year - say no more, yet we keep hearing about equalisation, bit hollow even bullshit .. ;)

If you want fairness, fixing the fixture is the biggest priority, because it is by far the biggest distortion

Just because Richmond won suddenly this is the biggest injustice in the AFL???

Richmond? Why?

Arent we discussing the Vic Govt / MCC / AFL sweetheart deal ?

No, you are discussing the gf being at the g

No-one seemed to be freaking out about it until last year though, when RFC winning was proof it's unjust.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
No, you are discussing the gf being at the g

No-one seemed to be freaking out about it until last year though, when RFC winning was proof it's unjust.

Seem to remember 2015 for some reason .... must reflect all of those decades in the doldrums for Tigers supporters, break the duck to be there, no wonder you think its all about you.

Seem to remember 2015 for some reason .... must reflect all of those decades in the doldrums for Tigers supporters, break the duck to be there, no wonder you think its all about you.

Im disappointed you think I'm one of those posters given my record on this board, and somewhat insulted.

This is the first time in 8 months ive mentioned it, despite crows and eagles fans spamming this forum for 8 months non stop

I'm sick of it, and it was never obsessed about this much previously

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Im disappointed you think I'm one of those posters given my record on this board, and somewhat insulted.

This is the first time in 8 months ive mentioned it, despite crows and eagles fans spamming this forum for 8 months non stop

Enjoy your posts, a light hearted dig, sorry to offend.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton

It was. People have been complaining about the grand final situation LONG before the Tigers made it. You mostly likely notice it more now because they made it though.

Roogal

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Ballarat Roosters
I'd be careful taking political spin as fact.
Yes it can all change in an election. Take Ballarat's Mars Stadium as a case in point. Back in 2010 the then Brumby Government took to the State Election the building of a 15,000 seat, $50 million Eureka Stadium in Ballarat to the election on the promise that North Melbourne would be playing AFL games in it from 2012. It took another four years and one more change of government before the ground was built to seat 5000, and they are still waiting on the other 10,000 seats. :footy:

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Yes it can all change in an election. Take Ballarat's Mars Stadium as a case in point. Back in 2010 the then Brumby Government took to the State Election the building of a 15,000 seat, $50 million Eureka Stadium in Ballarat to the election on the promise that North Melbourne would be playing AFL games in it from 2012. It took another four years and one more change of government before the ground was built to seat 5000, and they are still waiting on the other 10,000 seats. :footy:

10k+ thru the gate 2017 - bit under 7k 2018, is it premature to up the capacity?
http://austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=348

Back